Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-29-2017, 11:42 AM

Default (Heresy) Pro Tools Hardware Downgrade

Hi Guys. Long time reader, first post in years (actually had to create a new account ). I’ve been looking for threads on this subject, but just decided to post after not finding much. I’m here because I wonder if any of you have actually ‘downgraded’ your PT rig? Currently, I’m running an HDX, HD I/O 16x16, and C24. A few years ago when I was doing more tracking, and had a big room, this system made sense. Now that I’m doing mostly vocal recording, in the box production, and haven’t tracked more than 6 channels at at time in probably 4 years, it’s absolute overkill, especially because it seems with every UAD plug I discover, it's one less AAX DSP plug I'm using. I also am finding the C24 to almost be a hindrance in my current workflow because it’s so big in my new room. Lastly, I'm not thrilled with paying out the arse to keep my system that I already paid out the arse for current, especially when I’m barely using its capabilities, and with a lot of the new soft synths coming out, I need to keep my system mildly current (I'm not a habitual updater--updates give me ulcers).

Long story short, against every gear whore instinct in my body, I’m considering dumping the whole system for a UA Apollo 8P, Slate Raven MTi2, and going to native Pro Tools. The only thing I can think of that I’ll miss, is I’ve grown accustomed to zero latency tracking in the DAW without having to run some other DSP mixer on top of it, but I realize that pretty much any modern computer can give you pretty close to zero latency--it's not 2000 anymore. I’ll also miss that Pro Tools HD splash screen that tells me I’m playing with the big boys (but that’s kind of a dumb reason). I remember the first time I saw that screen when I upgraded to HD back in 2005. It was an incredible feeling of accomplishment.

Has anyone here gone this route, and do you have any regrets?
Old 06-29-2017, 12:15 PM

Default Re: (Heresy) Pro Tools Hardware Downgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClayton View Post
Hi Guys. Long time reader, first post in years (actually had to create a new account ). I’ve been looking for threads on this subject, but just decided to post after not finding much. I’m here because I wonder if any of you have actually ‘downgraded’ your PT rig? Currently, I’m running an HDX, HD I/O 16x16, and C24. A few years ago when I was doing more tracking, and had a big room, this system made sense. Now that I’m doing mostly vocal recording, in the box production, and haven’t tracked more than 6 channels at at time in probably 4 years, it’s absolute overkill, especially because it seems with every UAD plug I discover, it's one less AAX DSP plug I'm using. I also am finding the C24 to almost be a hindrance in my current workflow because it’s so big in my new room. Lastly, I'm not thrilled with paying out the arse to keep my system that I already paid out the arse for current, especially when I’m barely using its capabilities, and with a lot of the new soft synths coming out, I need to keep my system mildly current (I'm not a habitual updater--updates give me ulcers).

Long story short, against every gear whore instinct in my body, I’m considering dumping the whole system for a UA Apollo 8P, Slate Raven MTi2, and going to native Pro Tools. The only thing I can think of that I’ll miss, is I’ve grown accustomed to zero latency tracking in the DAW without having to run some other DSP mixer on top of it, but I realize that pretty much any modern computer can give you pretty close to zero latency--it's not 2000 anymore. I’ll also miss that Pro Tools HD splash screen that tells me I’m playing with the big boys (but that’s kind of a dumb reason). I remember the first time I saw that screen when I upgraded to HD back in 2005. It was an incredible feeling of accomplishment.

Has anyone here gone this route, and do you have any regrets?
I used to have nearly the exact setup you have now. The first thing to go was the C24. I still regret that and miss it when mixing and editing. I have now gone the other direction and have 3 HDiOs and an Omni for 56 simultaneous tracking capability. Will I ever use them all at once? Never. However, I built and cabled my rooms so that basically everything has its own dedicated input so I don't have to constantly move my input and output settings in ProTools, or move physical cables. I may even swap out the Omni for another HDiO just to have the additional 8 channels if I ever wanted to add preamps with their own dedicated inputs.

But that wasn't what you asked. So to that end, I also know an engineer who has the Apollo rig you referenced and he just got done flying from L.A. out to Aspen, CO to record an artist in their own element. The ease of just packing up the system and "bringing the engineer to the artist" worked great for him. I will also say that in my secondary room, I just run native because I rarely track more than one track at a time when needed in that room, and it works perfectly for that scenario. So I would say that if you are pretty sure that how you are using the system today is not going to change or increase in size over the next several years, you are probably safe in downsizing the rig. To your point, the technology in the new interfaces and software is light years beyond where it was 10 years ago when I got started. If you have a relatively new computer, you should be fine. I just personally can't give up all that power even if I only need it 1% of the time. Like I said, I wish I still had my C24. On the other hand, you could buy one heck of a native rig if you sold the C24, HDX card, and an HDiO!

Mac Pro Rack (7,1) 16-core 3.2gHz Intel Xeon W
OSX Catalina (10.15.4)
8TB Mac OEM SSD System Drive
(3) 1Tb 7200rpm audio hard drives
192Gb RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II Video Card
2 Avid HDX Cards
2 Avid 8X8X8 HD I/Os; 2 Avid 16X16 HD I/Os
PT Ultimate 2020.3
Old 06-29-2017, 02:16 PM

I see no issue with "downgrading" for reasons you mentioned. I love the sound of UA plugins, but I rarely use them due to the latency involved in the round trip to my quad card(if I only had it to do over.....). To me, Apollo makes a ton of sense if you love their plugins, and tracking thru them would be really nice. I went HDN because at the time, Apollo was still a "work in progress" with no Thunderbolt for PC, limited Windows features and . If I were building a rig today and the 4 headphone mix was enough(I need 6 for my setup), Apollo would be a no brainer

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-29-2017, 02:17 PM

What does Heresy mean in the title ??

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-29-2017, 02:28 PM

Default (Heresy) Pro Tools Hardware Downgrade

Google it.

He basically means he is considering doing it even though it goes against the conventional wisdom. Although heresy typically has a religious connotation.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
but I realize that pretty much any modern computer can give you pretty close to zero latency--it's not 2000 anymore.

I don't believe this for a bit, TB you get better specs but not every native system is going to give you a 64 buffer (stably on a full mix)

If your going Apollo it won't much matter, but the cards really help lower the latency.....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:38 PM

If you don't do surround and don't need the advanced mixing features, then in your case, you don't need HD.

PT Ultimate - Mac Studio M1 Max - Monterey - RME Fireface UFX II - 2x S1, 1x Dock with an iPad 7th gen - Genelec 8330 5.1 setup
Old 06-29-2017, 04:21 PM

Feedback appreciated. Heresy was basically me going on an HDX forum to ask people about not needing HDX. Kind of like asking a priest for permission to burn down his church
Old 06-29-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Feedback appreciated. Heresy was basically me going on an HDX forum to ask people about not needing HDX. Kind of like asking a priest for permission to burn down his church
Thanks

Drew - Thanks to you aswell

You know us swedes, sometimes words popup we never heard or used before.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-05-2017, 06:46 PM

I ran an HD5 setup for more than 10 years. I downgraded to non HD about 2 years ago and am fine with the decision. I am busier than ever, and I track hundreds of sessions a year. And mix even more than that. I DID recently upgrade the core of my Mac for about 500. That helped with some monster 100+ track 30 instance of Autotune and amp sim style tracks. All that at 64 buffer. No one has ever complained about latency.

I much prefer not worrying about voices, or the lack of DSP plugins, or worrying that even if I had HDX, the use of some of my favorite plugins (which are native), would essentially turn my system into a Native one anyways.

HDX would be fine I suppose. But right now I have not regretted a single minute the choice to go Native. I'm still making a living and don't compromise a thing in the process.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.