Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2017, 03:19 PM

Default How to separately write the compressor and EQ in channelstrip?

Hi guys,

Just want to ask is there any way that I could separately write the compressor or EQ in the Channelstrip?
What happened to me is that, I want to use the compressor to rewrite through the whole track using a same compress setting, but I've already wrote different EQs for different clips, just want to change the compressor without affecting the EQs. Is there a way to do that? The same problem happens when I try to just copy the compressor or the EQ, but it only gives me the option to copy them both...

Does anybody know how to do that?

Thank you.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:17 PM

Default Re: How to separately write the compressor and EQ in channelstrip?

What do you mean by 'write'? Do you mean write automation? You should be able to do that separately for each parameter you want to change. To do that you need to know how PT automation works and for that there's always RTFM (or Google).

QAPLA!
Old 10-01-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What do you mean by 'write'? Do you mean write automation? You should be able to do that separately for each parameter you want to change. To do that you need to know how PT automation works and for that there's always RTFM (or Google).
Thank you Jack, I am not sure if I made it clear. I mean, just for the Channelstrip, cause the EQ and the compressor are combined in the Channelstrip, I didn't find a way to just write/copy one of the automation. When I copy the automation in the Channelstrip, it copies both the compressor and the EQ.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:38 PM

You should be able to just go to the automation lanes and set it the way you want. Or you may be able to go into the write enable list for the plug and deselect the setting that you don't want to change. Interesting question. On the things that I want to change through the song, I have been using clip effects.

Steve
Old 10-02-2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailin Gong View Post
Thank you Jack, I am not sure if I made it clear. I mean, just for the Channelstrip, cause the EQ and the compressor are combined in the Channelstrip, I didn't find a way to just write/copy one of the automation. When I copy the automation in the Channelstrip, it copies both the compressor and the EQ.
It's still not clear - what EXACT settings are you trying to write automation for? A parameter in the eq? One for the Compressor? Like I said you need to read through the PT User's Guide (aka The Manual) to see how PT plugin automation works. You should be able to automate most any parameter in the plugin individually.

QAPLA!
Old 10-02-2017, 05:51 AM

When you say write, is the channel strip being used as an active insert plugin or did you apply its effects via audio suite and render them to the clips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailin Gong View Post
Hi guys,

Just want to ask is there any way that I could separately write the compressor or EQ in the Channelstrip?
What happened to me is that, I want to use the compressor to rewrite through the whole track using a same compress setting, but I've already wrote different EQs for different clips, just want to change the compressor without affecting the EQs. Is there a way to do that? The same problem happens when I try to just copy the compressor or the EQ, but it only gives me the option to copy them both...

Does anybody know how to do that?

Thank you.
Hello Ailin,
Your question is not really clear.
"Write" an automation means that you move the knobs (eq or comp) while the song plays... Then you can choose to write till end of selection or till end (if no selection)...
But if you mean to copy paste only the eq. For example: you should open all the automated drop down lanes that you want to copy; from a specific track and paste them in another place in the timeline or on another track where you have the same layout of the automation lanes...
And of course in protools you have many ways to do things...
You can turn of the compressor of channelstrip and save a preset then open it in another instance of channelstrip and write the new parameters...
If you are on HD with latch prime enabled.
You can capture a state by only touching the parameter you want to record and then copy them wherever you want...

I dunno if all this make sense... Or if it answers your question... But hey...
I had to try...

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2017, 07:40 AM

The easiest way would be to use Preview mode in latch. Put the track in latch, enable preview mode, make a selection, play the selection and tweak the parameters until you are happy, Punch Preview then click "Write Automation to Selection on Stop". This workflow is HD only unfortunately.

But I think Latch mode will be your friend here. If you make a selection with enough pre-roll, you could go into latch mode and set the compressor settings individually before the first section you want to write to comes along, then write the compressor settings in real time to the selection you want. If in Latch mode and you set the compressor settings individually, the EQ setting shouldn't change, only the parameters that you touch should be written, unlike Write mode.

An easier method, but one that will use more CPU and resources, would be to disable the compressor on the first channelstrip, and add another channelstrip to automate only the compressor.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvly5t View Post
When you say write, is the channel strip being used as an active insert plugin or did you apply its effects via audio suite and render them to the clips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That wouldn't have the effect the op is asking about. We don't know the specifics of what he's doing; it's apparent he doesn't understand PT automation and what it can do.

QAPLA!
Old 10-02-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
The easiest way would be to use Preview mode in latch. Put the track in latch, enable preview mode, make a selection, play the selection and tweak the parameters until you are happy, Punch Preview then click "Write Automation to Selection on Stop". This workflow is HD only unfortunately.

But I think Latch mode will be your friend here. If you make a selection with enough pre-roll, you could go into latch mode and set the compressor settings individually before the first section you want to write to comes along, then write the compressor settings in real time to the selection you want. If in Latch mode and you set the compressor settings individually, the EQ setting shouldn't change, only the parameters that you touch should be written, unlike Write mode.

An easier method, but one that will use more CPU and resources, would be to disable the compressor on the first channelstrip, and add another channelstrip to automate only the compressor.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much!!!!You get what I mean and that really helps!!!!!