Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2001, 02:11 PM

Default Problem sync\'ing PT to ADAT / BRC / MTP II

Ok, so this is a relatively obscure config, but in theory it is supposed to work.

System:
Pro Tools 5.1 TDM
888|24 I/O [Mix Card #1]
Adat Bridge 24-bit [Mix Card #2]
ADAT XT-20
BRC
MOTU Midi Timepiece II

I want PT to sync up to MTC from the BRC so I can dump a bunch of different ADAT tapes into PT while only having one ADAT. I know there are more "low tech" ways to do this, but it seems this should work...

I setup everything according to the various manuals for all this crap, and everything seems ok. The stumbling block is that when I put PT in Online mode and press Play on the BRC/ADAT, PT is not seeing the incoming SPMTE code from the midi interface in the Session Setup window. So pressing Play in PT just starts it playing without sync'ing up to anything. I know that timecode is coming into the MTP II because I can bring up the MTP Console and see it there. But for some reason it's not making it from the MTP II into OMS into PT. I have the BRC correctly configured as the MTP device in OMS.

Anyone have any clues? I'll provide more info if needed, but this already feels like a long-winded scenario. Thanks for your help! - Steve
Old 05-24-2001, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Problem sync\'ing PT to ADAT / BRC / MTP II

Did you make sure that in peripherials you selected "generic timecode device" (or something like that) and you selected the correct PORT that the MTP is connected to?

If you lanched the MTP reader does that mean you have freemidi active? If so, try disabling it (turning off the freemidi extentions). Make sure that OMS see this interface and look at the OMS timecode reader and see if it receives timecode. When OMS works pro tools should also work.

Old 05-25-2001, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Problem sync\'ing PT to ADAT / BRC / MTP II

Carlone,
Thanks for the tips. I shall try them this evening. I tried more things last night, like changing the MTC device from the "BRC" to the "Midi Timepiece". And yes, I do still have the FreeMidi extension loaded, although everything else in my OMS setup runs ok. I'll disable FreeMidi and see what happens. What tool is available in OMS to let you see incoming timecode...?
Of course Digital Performer syncs to the timecode like a charm.
When will OMS go away...????