Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-30-2019, 03:10 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

I just AUPed. Could well be the last $99 Avid see from myself unless they rethink their prices or else come out with something mind blowing?

My prediction is that Avid will quickly sweeten the mix what with all the discontent out there. Maybe a complementary Heat plugin for starters?

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 06-30-2019, 03:21 PM

Being able to use it in vanilla PT is about as sweet as it’s gonna get me thinks....

The good thing here the offer pushes through to July 2 for us downunder.... payday haha could get a couple of years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
My prediction is that Avid will quickly sweeten the mix what with all the discontent out there. Maybe a complementary Heat plugin for starters?

Stephen
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-30-2019, 03:31 PM

I have to say, i was chuffed about the short notice of the price changeover.

I would also have liked it if they did something like any plans purchased before a current plan runs out at the old price, after you run out, updated pricing. Instead of the rush to buy before July 1st. I mean, really? What was that all about?

I don't care for the subscription model but frankly after reviewing my history with this software i found that i bought perpetual licenses with the expectation of paying for major upgrades because I didn't see the point of paying yearly for incremental upgrades. The only reason i started doing so the last few years was because they had made it less expensive

So now it's back to the old pricing system. I cant remember how much i paid to upgrade from 5.x to 6.x but i'm sure it was at least 100 USD what eighteen or so years ago? I paid for one more year last week just for the hell of it. My systems all work fine, the only time i ever needed support was to get a price/billing situation handled, so i'm at the Meh, whatever point.

Admittedly, I got a little spoiled by the updates but no real need of them and i'll just go back to pay for upgrades if/as needed. 199 USD every couple or three years aint bad to me.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:17 AM

I am floored with studio one, and avid will get ....
NOTHING.
you people need to download a trial an run it.
freaking impressive.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
I am floored with studio one, and avid will get ....

NOTHING.

you people need to download a trial an run it.

freaking impressive.

My feelings too.
I’ve had it for nearly 2 weeks now and it just gets better. Runs like a well oiled machine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2019, 02:59 AM

Not over here, not impressed at all with Studio One’s performance on a MacBook Pro (2018, Mojave, 2.6ghz, 32MB, 1TB). I was hoping it works (at least) as well as PT but it didn’t - see my previous post.

Since they offer a trial, I suggest anyone considering it to download it and try it out on your own system with your preferred VIs - Don’t get carried away by the hype or the lower price... in the end, you get what you pay for.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtrino View Post
Not over here, not impressed at all with Studio One’s performance on a MacBook Pro (2018, Mojave, 2.6ghz, 32MB, 1TB). I was hoping it works (at least) as well as PT but it didn’t - see my previous post.

Since they offer a trial, I suggest anyone considering it to download it and try it out on your own system with your preferred VIs - Don’t get carried away by the hype or the lower price... in the end, you get what you pay for.

Must be a system thing then because S1 runs better than PT has ever done for me. So no hype here just facts.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:35 AM

It could be, I’m not ruling out an issue specific to my system even if I haven’t experienced anything like it when I tried other DAWs...

I have a Mac Pro in the studio that is dedicated to music with no extra stuff on it, I’ll try it again on this machine, if it works as good as PT then it’s a no brainer to transition to Studio One! I definitely appreciate the workflow improvements over PT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige108 View Post
Must be a system thing then because S1 runs better than PT has ever done for me. So no hype here just facts.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:52 AM

I use Pro Tools since 1995, I love this DAW, the problem is to be forced to pay every year and if we do not do it, we have the penalty to pay more is the sale forced and in my country it is punishable by law.
I paid my renewal in June which gives me time to relearn on another DAW, I chose Reaper offers me the possibility of a playlist mode easy enough to learn. I'm 43 years old and it's going to be hard to change my habits but before AVID's fare change, I was already unhappy with the problems I had with PT, wasted time with crash and buggs and anxiety. not knowing when it was going to crash again. This new pricing policy is the small thing that makes a big decision with a lot of sadness, but when you feel like you're being held hostage and forced to pay for something that works in a random way, it's more bearable for me and I can understand that this is reasonable for some PT users. Everyone does what they want.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:46 AM

Alas, like a bunch of other folks I "held my nose" and ponied up for 2 years of renewal for PT perpetual Vanilla. I'm good till Dec. 2021. That's about all I was willing to trust AVID for - they can change the rules at any time. And who can predict changes to WIN/MAC OS, or digital audio technology beyond those 2.5 years?

I went through the CAKEWALK/SONAR Platinum "for life" thing a couple of years ago, and this looks very similar. It's a "money-grab" and that's why it coincides with the end of the quarter (June 30). I'm guessing hundreds of perpetual license owners bought a couple of years of advanced renewals.

I use both PT and Studio One. I don't do POST or video, but for music production they both work fine - and each has pluses and minuses.

So for those of you who have demoed Studio One for two days and are "sold," you might want to wait until you've completed a few projects before sharing your observations.

Good luck with whatever decision you've made.

Danny