Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2020, 03:36 PM

Default PRO TOOLS freezes up Comp

Hi,

I recently upgraded my Graphic card, was using a "Sapphire nitro+ RX 580 8gb DDR5" and switched to a "PULSE RX 5600 XT 6G GDDR6"

When I run Pro tools now, after a few minutes the computer freezes up and I have to manually restart it. Everything else is the same ( New PSU ) Had no problems like that before.

Does anyone know what can be the cause, or the fix?

Pro Tools 2020.5.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3400Mhz
24 GB´s RAM
PRIME X370-PRO
New 750W PSU
Old 07-18-2020, 08:46 AM

Default Re: PRO TOOLS freezes up Comp

I'd put the old graphics card back in and test.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-19-2020, 08:26 AM

I threw it away since it crashed on me, still no fix I can find.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:13 AM

Did you mean to post this thread in the HDX and HD hardware forum.... your signature says you are using a Focusright 6i6???? If you are not using a HDX or NDN Native card then hopefully a moderator will move this thread to the Windows forum.

Where is your SiSoft Sandra report? Start at “help us help you” up the top of each DUC web page.

What actual interface and driver version are you using?

Is the computer fully optimized? Windows update disabled or did that update recently? Any AV software disabled or uninstalled?

I would uninstall the Avid Link and collaboration crapware. Make sure as much other stuff you do not need is not running, including Web browsers etc.

What exactly happens when the computer “freezes up”?
Screen goes black? Stays the same? Mouse cursor still moves? Really hung? Like if you leave it for ~10 minutes what happens? (Does the system comes back to life briefly? Does it blue screen?)

What does the Windows Event Viewer show?
What does the Pro Tools log show?
(Google those if unsure what they are)
Is there something you are doing at that time it hangs? This happen with all sessions? Stating with an empty session? With no session open?

Systems hanging can be caused by memory leaks or maybe interface driver bugs Or just bad hardware. And maybe this has nothing to do with your GPU change, or maybe you broke something else touching the computer... we have no clue but you can troubleshoot for all that.

You can watch free memory in the Windows resource monitor while Pro Tools is running. If that continuously shrinks towards zero you likely have a memory leak... and suspect plugins. Plugin misbehavior could be dependent on what you are doing in the session... or might not. Might be tripped off by corrupt preferences, or might not, so as always... trash prefs when troubleshooting.

If it’s not a memory leak, try a different audio interface, even if you have to use ASIO4ALL with your Windows sound device just for a test. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the interface drivers.

Still stuck, I would grab a spare drive or partition And do a clean Windows install on that. Ideally from a clean Microsoft downloaded installer. Install just the minimal drivers you need, like for the GPU, do not let Windows automatically install drivers. Then install your interface drivers and pro tools see if that works OK.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-19-2020 at 10:31 AM.