Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-16-2020, 11:51 PM

Default Routing folder+VCA

I really would appreciate if the routing folder would also have the VCA functionality.
It would be great if it would be possible to Spill Routing Folder on the D-Command like its possible with the VCA's. The Shift+F is not the same as it only lets to visualise tracks in folder.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 06-17-2020, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Routing folder+VCA

You can spill the folder by click on screen and it will spill on the D Command. The Icon protocol is no longer developed, it's all gone to Eucon, so you won't ever get that function as an Icon shortcut.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
You can spill the folder by click on screen and it will spill on the D Command. The Icon protocol is no longer developed, it's all gone to Eucon, so you won't ever get that function as an Icon shortcut.
Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean the folder members will show on an ICON console once the folder is opened, or is there an actual "spill" type of function where it'll spill its members across the console when clicked?

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 06-17-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean the folder members will show on an ICON console once the folder is opened, or is there an actual "spill" type of function where it'll spill its members across the console when clicked?
Sorry Ryan, misleading term I used, what I mean is the D Command will reflect what is happening on screen, if you open a folder the tracks will show on the D Command
Old 06-17-2020, 09:21 PM

Drats!

I guess if I have a "bank to selected track" type of option, or get in the habit of ctrl shift clicking the folder track as I shift f it, it'll act the same.

Can't give up my D-Command no matter how cool EuControl is looking, it's just too solid!

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 06-18-2020, 12:06 AM

I think its more a matter of functionality. The routing folder track has a visual grouping, editing abilities plus the full functionality of the Aux track (up to Atmos config) incl volume, solo and mute functions. The VCA is only limited to the physical grouping without any routing (even less than the basic folder track can do).
While I am aware that the developing and support for the icons is at the EOL, I don't think it is different on Eucon's.
My point that it would be great to have a track so called "VCA Routing Folder".

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 06-18-2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
I think its more a matter of functionality. The routing folder track has a visual grouping, editing abilities plus the full functionality of the Aux track (up to Atmos config) incl volume, solo and mute functions. The VCA is only limited to the physical grouping without any routing (even less than the basic folder track can do).
While I am aware that the developing and support for the icons is at the EOL, I don't think it is different on Eucon's.
Yeah I hear ya for sure, I think our only hope is if Paul Neyrick gets an itch to do something with icon, he's done great things with the Pro COntrol and c24..
Old 06-18-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
I'm not intending to diminish your idea in any way, but I'm not sure how this would work, practically. Would the Routing Folder fader control both the Aux level and the VCA level? Wouldn't this then simultaneously be changing the input to the Aux summing and the Aux output fader? I'm really curious how you foresee this working. Maybe I'm missing something.

To me, a Basic Folder with integrated VCA fader makes the most sense. I feel that this would be especially doable, since the Basic Folder has no fader currently. This would allow creating a VCA group simply by dragging that tracks into the folder or using the shortcut, rather than creating the group, creating the VCA fader, then assigning the group to the VCA fader.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:19 AM

I am looking for exactly the same as the OP!

I use an Artist Mix and an iPad. Before folders I used VCAs basically as population groups, having the iPad only show VCA Masters and selecting the VCA (eg drums) I want to work with. The group members get spilled to my little surface and everything else gets out of the way. When deselecting the VCA everything comes back. This is a very fast way to work, live consoles often have this feature. The VCA faders would stay at unity 99% of the time, I would use auxes or simply groups for that.

Now with folder tracks I am able to hide folder members and it gets mirrored on the surface, but that is so much slower. To have it VCA-style I basically need to mirror my folders (which are absolutely awesome btw!) with VCAs which is a bit cumbersome.

I would like a checkmark in the Eucon settings to enable "VCA-style spill when selecting folder tracks". Only the folder members get spilled to the surface with the folder master as last channel. Signalflow stays aux-style for folders, it's only about the spilling. Of course, when no folder is selected the screen layout gets mirrored by the surface (like it is now).

That would be sooo cool
Old 07-20-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHere View Post
I am looking for exactly the same as the OP!

I use an Artist Mix and an iPad. Before folders I used VCAs basically as population groups, having the iPad only show VCA Masters and selecting the VCA (eg drums) I want to work with. The group members get spilled to my little surface and everything else gets out of the way. When deselecting the VCA everything comes back. This is a very fast way to work, live consoles often have this feature. The VCA faders would stay at unity 99% of the time, I would use auxes or simply groups for that.

Now with folder tracks I am able to hide folder members and it gets mirrored on the surface, but that is so much slower. To have it VCA-style I basically need to mirror my folders (which are absolutely awesome btw!) with VCAs which is a bit cumbersome.

I would like a checkmark in the Eucon settings to enable "VCA-style spill when selecting folder tracks". Only the folder members get spilled to the surface with the folder master as last channel. Signalflow stays aux-style for folders, it's only about the spilling. Of course, when no folder is selected the screen layout gets mirrored by the surface (like it is now).

That would be sooo cool

As far as I know, they are planning on adding Folder-spill into a future EuCon version. My understanding is that this was a more involved programming task, so they wanted to get the more basic type of folder support done first and out, before starting on folder spill.