Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 11-20-2014, 07:16 PM

Default False Avid Advertising

Perhaps the marketing team should try to get their customer communication right.
I got this email today

The marketing Dept:
Why Should You Upgrade to Pro Tools | HD 11?
Save up to 40% and get more advantages if you act now

Upgrade at a lower price than before—save up to 40% off previous upgrade pricing

What's really going on:
There is no Avid discount on HD 11 upgrades they are the exact same price as they were since HD 11 came out. At AES were we told that HD 8 owners could upgrade for same price as HD 9 owners then that was walked back quickly...
What's going on in all that fog in Daly City?
Old 11-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Avid

Default Re: False Avid Advertising

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Perhaps the marketing team should try to get their customer communication right.
I got this email today

The marketing Dept:
Why Should You Upgrade to Pro Tools | HD 11?
Save up to 40% and get more advantages if you act now

Upgrade at a lower price than before—save up to 40% off previous upgrade pricing

What's really going on:
There is no Avid discount on HD 11 upgrades they are the exact same price as they were since HD 11 came out. At AES were we told that HD 8 owners could upgrade for same price as HD 9 owners then that was walked back quickly...
What's going on in all that fog in Daly City?
It's not false advertising... it says "up to" since the upgrade from PTHD9 or PT9+CPTK was $999 and is now $599 (40% less).

Regards,
JC
Old 11-20-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
It's not false advertising... it says "up to" since the upgrade from PTHD9 or PT9+CPTK was $999 and is now $599 (40% less).

Regards,
JC
JC, that's not what he saying, what he saying is at AES he was told that as a ProTools HD8 owne, he can upgrade to ProTools 11 HD for 599. Whereas now, you have to have at least ProTools HD9 to get the 599 upgrade price. I have to admit I was very confused with that, as I also was ready to shell out 599 to upgrade my ProTools HD eight license. This was a secondary lisense that I also own.

My only reason for wanting to upgrade that version of ProTools, was at least I know I would always have my version of ProTools HD 10, regardless whatever was done by Avid as we go forward.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-20-2014, 10:52 PM

That is probably (?) because all PT8 HD systems would be TDM systems that cannot run PT11 at all, therefore not eligible for upgrade. In case I remember this correctly, first PT11 capable HD systems were the HDN PCI-e cards, which came with PT9
Old 11-21-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

Regards,
JC

It is false advertising, I got an email telling me to upgrade to PT11 and save up to 60%.

I already own PT11 so how is this an upgrade? How is paying $199 to go from PT11 to PT11 a saving of up to 60%?
Old 11-21-2014, 01:04 AM

How about some incentives at least. Some people are comparing this to the Waves WUP. I've had issues with the waves model in the past but at least they give incentives.

Last week i renewed part of my WUP at a cost of $81 and they sent me a $50 e voucher. I put this towards a bundle that was discounted from $500 to $100, I got the bundle for $50.

Waves made another sale and I was happy - winners all round.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alio 45 View Post
How about some incentives at least. Some people are comparing this to the Waves WUP. I've had issues with the waves model in the past but at least they give incentives.

Last week i renewed part of my WUP at a cost of $81 and they sent me a $50 e voucher. I put this towards a bundle that was discounted from $500 to $100, I got the bundle for $50.

Waves made another sale and I was happy - winners all round.
Waves have gotten really smart with well placed sales and pricing on products that have given me incentive to buy after resisting purchasing Waves for so many years. That and their products got a hell of a lot better too. I will never feel the need for their Mercury bundle (or whatever name they come up with for the next grandiose version) but at least I can enjoy their modeled plugs at a reasonable price. Not to mention they have been on version 9 for a few years almost.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alio 45 View Post
It is false advertising, I got an email telling me to upgrade to PT11 and save up to 60%.

I already own PT11 so how is this an upgrade? How is paying $199 to go from PT11 to PT11 a saving of up to 60%?
Come on... EVERYONE gets the email... No big deal! PT 11 owners will pay less to get on the program, the details have just not been released yet. Licensing page is very clear.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That is probably (?) because all PT8 HD systems would be TDM systems that cannot run PT11 at all, therefore not eligible for upgrade. In case I remember this correctly, first PT11 capable HD systems were the HDN PCI-e cards, which came with PT9
I could be wrong, but I believe there was an 8.5 update that was needed to go to HDN when it first came out...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-21-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe there was an 8.5 update that was needed to go to HDN when it first came out...
It can very well be my bad memory, too. Either way, some one of us is wrong

Seriously.

I took a quick look at PT WIKI and it says that:

Quote:
On October 6, 2010, Avid released Pro Tools HD Native
...and...

Quote:
On November 4, 2010, Avid released Pro Tools 9
So if that is correct, then IMO it should be possible to upgrade PT8HD to PT10/PT11