Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 PM

Default SMAART Workflow

Alright, so how do yall interface SMAART on the venue desk? I have a sound devices USBPre. I'd like to do it with a ref signal and the M30 mic. Should the digital S/PDIF connections to get ref signal into smaart?

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 08-22-2011, 10:20 PM

Default Re: SMAART Workflow

I just send ref pink noise from an aux out to one channel of my mic pre and then use a matrix from the L/R (with a graphic EQ for the tweaks across it) to the other side. You kind of lose me with this:

"Should the digital S/PDIF connections to get ref signal into smaart?"
Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 AM

FireWire SC48 to MacBook.
Send pink noise into a channel via FireWire from Smaart with that channel feeding an Aux eg Smaart Signal Generator via ProTools 1 into channel 48 feeding Aux 6
Measurement signal is Direct Out of Reference Mic channel via FireWire eg Ref Mic into channel 47 Direct Out Firewire to ProTools 1 into Smaart
Aux output FireWires back into Smaart as Reference signal eg Aux 6 Direct Outs to Smaart via ProTools 2
Using an Aux means you can use music track if time and situation does not allow the use of pink noise using the Transfer Function. The SC48 generator seems to only go to an output directly and not via a channel so I think the suggestion above gives more control and options. On the weekend doing an orchestral concert I tried to feed SC48 pink noise to a Matrix out via LR that was dialed to it but would not route noise. I had to select the matrix output directly. Much easier to send noise via Smaart to a channel of your choice as I usually do. S
Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 AM

I do the following:

1.) make a channel on the console called "Pink"
2.) insert the "Noise Generator" plug-in from the "Other" category under your various plug-in options. (You wont see signal on the input, but if you solo it up you can see it is there)
3.) create a matrix output called "Smaart"
4.) make a user input on that matrix that comes from the "Pink" channel that is Pre Fade
5.) Patch the Smaart output accordingly and run it via analog or digital into my Roland OctaCapture
6.) Route the Pink channel to where it needs to go all the while following the same signal path everything else will

This works well because the reference signal is always present and I can adjust the level to the preamp from the console. It is also independent from the level that I send to the PA which is the important part. It also keeps everything in the console.

*** Now the important part *** Make sure to pop the plug-in out of line on the "Pink" channel after you are done tuning, so that the FOH engineer doesn't accidentally throw it in the PA.

The reason I use a matrix output is so that after I am done tuning, I can route any groups or auxes to Smaart if I want to keep an eye on things during the show. It's quite handy when doing corporate events to be able to route a lav group to Smaart, or to send an IEM or wedge mix to Smaart and to look at the Spectral readout.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:30 AM

i take a very similar setup as brad.
-i route my RTA pre-amp (earthworks M30) via direct out to my USB pre
-Pink is generated via the OSC patched into a FX channel that feeds the USB pre via Matrix

but i think im going to give brads method a shot and see how i like it.

Venue SC48
Macbook 13"
HP 2525TX Tablet
Motion Tablet LE1600
Mac Mini 2.6 dual core with 1TB 4gig Ram
Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somtech View Post
FireWire SC48 to MacBook.
Send pink noise into a channel via FireWire from Smaart with that channel feeding an Aux eg Smaart Signal Generator via ProTools 1 into channel 48 feeding Aux 6
Measurement signal is Direct Out of Reference Mic channel via FireWire eg Ref Mic into channel 47 Direct Out Firewire to ProTools 1 into Smaart
Aux output FireWires back into Smaart as Reference signal eg Aux 6 Direct Outs to Smaart via ProTools 2
Using an Aux means you can use music track if time and situation does not allow the use of pink noise using the Transfer Function. The SC48 generator seems to only go to an output directly and not via a channel so I think the suggestion above gives more control and options. On the weekend doing an orchestral concert I tried to feed SC48 pink noise to a Matrix out via LR that was dialed to it but would not route noise. I had to select the matrix output directly. Much easier to send noise via Smaart to a channel of your choice as I usually do. S
u can use a channel as osc in venue , all u have to do is go to the patch bay and select oscillator from foh to the selected channel , after that you will have to go option , misc and enable the osc , the putput of the osc will be on the channel from there you can send it where you need it , to a group , aux , mains , matrix etc .

my smaart setup is like this on a sc 48 tied to a mbp via fwx .
RTA mic to the console , and direct out to the mpb in smaart as measured
a matrix to the mpb and smaart as reference .
the matrix have an unused aux so i can send whatever i need to the matrix fast and from the matrix i can feed smaart whatever i need .

if you want to use the pink sweep etc from smaart you just use a channel feeded from fwx and send it back to the matrix as reference .

hope it was clear.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawtaww2000 View Post
u can use a channel as osc in venue , all u have to do is go to the patch bay and select oscillator from foh to the selected channel , after that you will have to go option , misc and enable the osc , the putput of the osc will be on the channel from there you can send it where you need it , to a group , aux , mains , matrix etc .

my smaart setup is like this on a sc 48 tied to a mbp via fwx .
RTA mic to the console , and direct out to the mpb in smaart as measured
a matrix to the mpb and smaart as reference .
the matrix have an unused aux so i can send whatever i need to the matrix fast and from the matrix i can feed smaart whatever i need .

if you want to use the pink sweep etc from smaart you just use a channel feeded from fwx and send it back to the matrix as reference .

hope it was clear.
+ 1

really no need for plugins or external IO boxes or pres, all can be done with console + mac
Old 08-25-2011, 07:20 PM

Brad-

You are a genius...I am going to try that out!!

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 08-28-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmillerjr View Post
Brad-

You are a genius...I am going to try that out!!
5 years of college....

It also took me a while to figure out what works best for my application. This is somewhat kluge, but I like the way all bits fit together and the flexibility it allows me.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 PM

So if I am understanding this correctly you're feeding the console into a mbp pro then into pro tools and then into Smaart? I dont have a whole lot of experience with pro tools so this is a little confusing to me. How do you route the audio from the console (an sc48 for me) into Smaart over firewire. I use Smaart with a usb pre set up but I'm interested in doing it without that.