Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-26-2021, 02:46 PM

Default New to PT v2020. A discussion of Aux's vs Routing Folders.

Hello! I'm just wondering, for all intents and purposes, are Routing Folders essentially the same as an Aux track in Pro Tools? I imagine you can do much, much more with a Routing Folder, but you can essentially treat a Routing Folder with plugins, sends, and automation, etc. just like you can on an Aux track, right?

If so, what are the benefits of an Aux now vs a Routing Folder or vice versa when it comes to grouping a bunch of things together? Are you guys preferring Routing Folders over Auxes when you need to bus something together?

Just curious of your guys' workflow!
Old 01-26-2021, 02:59 PM

Default Re: New to PT v2020. A discussion of Aux's vs Routing Folders.

Aux = FX return ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 01-26-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
Just curious of your guys' workflow!
If I was doing sound tracks for a movie then I would lean toward the Folder approach from an organizational point of view.

If I did EDM or Hip Hop with 150 tracks and 40 vocal lines with rap and sound fx, then once again Folders are nice organizationally.

But, I track myself and other song writers with at most 30 tracks occasionally 40. Aux tracks are straight forward and work. The biggest group I have is drums and I can get that down to one or two aux busses. So Folders, although great, aren't something I used after my initial exploration.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:08 PM

I use Routing folders to organize similar tracks. For example, I use a Routing folder for all drums tracks, including aux tracks for effects such as the drums reverb. That way I can clear up some real estate on the Mix screen when I'm working on other things. You could do the exact same thing with an Aux track for all the drums and hide the drum tracks, but the Routing Folder makes it easier.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-27-2021, 07:22 AM

In my workflow, aux tracks are pretty much obsolete now that I can do all the same functions with a routing folder. Also, the routing folder gets rid of the annoying soloing problem unique to Pro Tools that requires setting the aux to "solo safe" in order to hear it when you solo the tracks routed to it.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
In my workflow, aux tracks are pretty much obsolete now that I can do all the same functions with a routing folder. Also, the routing folder gets rid of the annoying soloing problem unique to Pro Tools that requires setting the aux to "solo safe" in order to hear it when you solo the tracks routed to it.
+1 idem
Old 01-27-2021, 12:50 PM

In order to evaluate the pros and cons of Aux Input Tracks vs. Routing Folder Tracks, you have to determine what the general purpose of those Tracks will be in your Session. That ill be the deciding factor.

Here is the short answer:
  • Routing Folder Tracks have great advantages over Aux Input Tracks when you are using them to create Audio SubGroups (Aux Groups).
  • Routing Folder Tracks are not that useful for the purpose of Aux Returns when you want to leave the individual Tracks that send to the Aux Return (via Aux Sends) at their original location in your Session.

Major advantages of Routing Folder Tracks when using them for Audio SubGroups:
  • All the Member Tracks are nicely organized "inside" a folder structure that you can collapse/expand, which comes in handy with Sessions that have a high Track count.
  • Routing Folder Tracks can also be nested which comes in handy when you have complex Sessions with nested Stems (Music > Orchestra > Strings . Violins).
  • If the Routing Folder Track is solo-saved, then all its Member Tracks are automatically solo-saved!

I have a free 60page book about the four types of Groups in Pro Tools (including the Folder Tracks). It is an excerpt from my new Pro Tools. THe download link is available on the products page
http://dingdingmusic.com/-titles-/pr...-it-works.html
Just click on the "Download free Sample pdf" button

BTW, If you only want to organize your Tracks (so you can collapse/expand), then I would advise against Routing Folder Tracks. Basic Folder Tracks are much better, eliminating the additional complexity of signal routing Paths.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 01-27-2021, 01:15 PM

There's reporting of a routing folder tracks problem with Automatic Delay Compensation when freezing/unfreezing them:
Problem with Folder Tracks: Plays out of sync after Freeze
Old 01-27-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
I use Routing folders to organize similar tracks. For example, I use a Routing folder for all drums tracks, including aux tracks for effects such as the drums reverb. That way I can clear up some real estate on the Mix screen when I'm working on other things. You could do the exact same thing with an Aux track for all the drums and hide the drum tracks, but the Routing Folder makes it easier.
Nice!!! That's a good point! I like to hear the different uses and practicality of the folders, so thank youi! I appreciate your reply!
Old 01-27-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Cool! Thank you for the heads up! It looks like folder tracks offer more flexibility than the aux tracks for groups! I wonder if more people are using Routing Folders now more so than VCA's?