Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2018, 10:17 AM

Default Tempo Mapping Problems: Incorrect measure beats

Hello everyone, I seem to have come into a strange problem. I imported raw audio recorded without a click track, and thus did the tempo map as good as I could. I realized after creating the map and quantizing the drums that I wanted to add in 2 count-off measures before measure 1. Using Insert Time was insanely clunky and would not insert a regular length measure...what it did insert was a weird measure that has oddly placed beats that I cannot change or correct without completely throwing the entire tempo map and measure markers out of sync with my audio and with each other. I'm attaching a picture to better show what the problem is and what it should be instead of what's actually there. How would I fix this problem step by step so that I have 2 perfect 6/8 measures before measure one, with the "song start" at measure -1, and have a steady tempo similar to measure 1, all without screwing up any of the existing tempo map or measure locations from measure 1 through to the end???

Thanks ahead of time, if you need more specific info just let me know, I'll do my best to oblige.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tempoMap_Problem.jpg (56.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Tempo Mapping Problems: Incorrect measure beats

Hmm I seem to have corrected it by undoing a lot of actions and re-did the insert time. For some reason this time it behaved better and properly added 2 bars and moved everything subsequently in sync. Thanks anyway, it's gonna take me awhile to re-learn how to do everything in Pro Tools that I did in Cubase for many years, haha.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Tempo Mapping Problems: Incorrect measure beats

Glad you got it straightened out. I've found that in PT, it's best to always start the music a bar or two after session start to make room for things like that. I first got in the habit in the days of syncing to SMPTE-striped video tape where you need the session to follow LTC for at least the duration of the count-down for reliable two-pop placement. Doing so had all kinds of other advantages including room for a comfortable count-in.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB