Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 12-12-2023, 04:45 AM

Default 003+ on windows 10

I have been running a 003+ on Windows 7 on a Dell Precision T3400 quad core, using Reaper and considering the low specs it has served me well. I decided to upgrade the PC to a Dell Precision 3630 I7 8700 32g running Windows 10.
The asio driver seems to load OK and I can see all the ins and outs.
When I play audio it plays fine for a few seconds then starts to glitch, slow down, distort etc. I am pretty sure I installed Pro Tools on Win7 when I installed the 003, but didn't use it as I prefer Reaper. I have not installed Pro Tools on the new PC.
Would having Pro Tools installed make any difference?
Could it be a firewire card issue?
I hope I can get this working as it has been working really well in the past.
Old 12-12-2023, 05:52 AM
Avid

Default Re: 003+ on windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaz View Post
I have been running a 003+ on Windows 7 on a Dell Precision T3400 quad core, using Reaper and considering the low specs it has served me well. I decided to upgrade the PC to a Dell Precision 3630 I7 8700 32g running Windows 10.
The asio driver seems to load OK and I can see all the ins and outs.
When I play audio it plays fine for a few seconds then starts to glitch, slow down, distort etc. I am pretty sure I installed Pro Tools on Win7 when I installed the 003, but didn't use it as I prefer Reaper. I have not installed Pro Tools on the new PC.
Would having Pro Tools installed make any difference?
Could it be a firewire card issue?
I hope I can get this working as it has been working really well in the past.
Hi there!
What driver version is currently installed in your system?
https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...02-003-Drivers
Should be able to work with other DAWs.
What exact version of Windows are you running on?

Thanks!

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 12-12-2023, 01:34 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I am running Windows 10, but I will have to check the build number and get back to you. I am running the latest driver I could find which was the same as the link you posted, (9.0.8). The PC has a NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB installed, could that cause any conflict? I had very little problems with windows 7 and I am using the same firewire card I used preciously and it says it is working correctly in properties.
I will check the build and report back.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:22 AM

Thanks for the reply,
I m sure I relied to your message but I can't see the reply.
Anyway, I am using 9.0.8 drivers with Windows 10.
All audio is compromised no matter what program I am using.
It starts off ok but very quickly slows down and starts distorting.
I reassembled the older win7 pc using the same card and it worked fine.
After much research, most people that have problems with Windows 10 can't get Win 10 to see the card, but I can see all the inputs etc, it is just the playback that is bad.
I am thinking it may be a setting or driver conflict somewhere, maybe to do with the on board sound device.
on the Win7 pc I think the onboard sound device is unavailable whereas on the win10 pc it is available and possibly may be the problem.
I will keep looking.
Baz
Old 12-15-2023, 02:55 AM

the driver is 9.0.8 which is the latest. I have tried many things to stop the audio distorting and slowing down, but nothing has worked. Is there supposed to be a 003 control panel? I went back to the windows 7 PC and it still works perfectly in that with the same firewire card. I may try installing Windows 7 on another SSD and see how that works. If I get the same problem, I will know it is hardware related. It has an NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB, which shows up in device manager as having some kind of audio component to it I have disabled the audio in sound setting but that made no difference. Any idea how to uninstall the driver? I have tried removing the device and ticking remove driver, but It will not let me install an earlier version of the driver, reporting that I need to uninstall the current driver and I can't work out how to do it.
This is my third reply and the other two disappeared for some reason, so sorry for the late reply.

Baz
Old 12-24-2023, 11:29 PM

Device name DESKTOP-6IBUP3B
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Device ID ABE57CD4-DA47-4AD0-A823-7A66A2E59794
Product ID 00330-51662-56640-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎12/‎24/‎2023
OS build 19045.3803
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

I have done a new install of windows 10 using the Dell restore software.
Windows seems to update itself with all sorts of new features that are unnecessary so I am not sure if any of that is an issue.
I installed the drivers with the protools disks 8.03 then upgraded to 8.05. The audio plays perfectly for 10 seconds or so before slowing down and distorting.
I have removed the Nividia GTX card and am using the on board video. No change. It is so close to working that it should be something simple, but I just can't find what it is. Hoping someone can suggest something.
Old 12-24-2023, 11:36 PM

You are wasting your time trying to install Pro Tools 8 or anything close to that on Windows 10.

Start here: https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...tibility-Chart

You need to get on a much more recent version of Pro Tools, and also install the separate downloaded drivers for the 003. Just start with the free Pro Tools Intro and later you can buy an Artist, Studio or Ultimate subscription or license as needed (it's all the same installer so if Intro works the others will and you just update the license, not the core Pro Tools software). If all you own is Pro Tools 8LE and you need more than Pro Tools Intro you will need to buy a full new perpetual license, or subscription, there is no upgrade option for such old licenses.

OEM Windows restores from vendors like Dell often install a lot of crapware, and Dell is one of the worst vendors at this. If you want a nice clean systems you should install Windows from a Microsoft installer and manually add the needed drivers (ideally do all that fully manually, selecting the needed drivers like GPU drivers from those vendor, don't let plug and play/plug and pray do it for you). That might need you to purchase a new Windows license.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-25-2023 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-25-2023, 03:17 AM

Thanks for the reply Darryl,
On my previous install, I used the latest drivers available, (9.0.8), so I tried the protools install on a fresh Win10 install that would include it's own drivers but I still have the same problem. I am leaning toward the firewire card having the Texas Instruments chip, not being compatible with Windows 10. From what I have read, the Via chipped cards are the ones that work with Windows 10 and the TI ones do not work.
I didn't realize that all the crapware was due to the Dell OEM.
I may try the Microsoft Win10 install and see how that goes.
Protools 8.03 seemed to install and run ok on Win10, just the same audio problems right across the boards on any program that uses audio. USB audio is fine on Mbox2 or internal audio
Old 12-29-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaz View Post
USB audio is fine on Mbox2 or internal audio
This is the issue in a nutshell. Firewire got broken for 8LE and Windows 10. Moving to a newer version of Pro Tools is your best bet if you want to use the 003(or downgrade to Windows 7 and keep the computer off the internet).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-30-2023, 05:00 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I am learning more as I go but still not finding a viable solution.
Apparently Windows 7 will not run with a series 8 i7 processor so although I have been extremely happy with Win7, that seems off the table.
There seem to be people out there who are successfully running the 003 with Win10 so the must be a way to get the firewire to work.
I have been using Reaper for many years now and its works really well for me, so not sure a protools upgrade is what I need. Wouldn't it use the same audio drivers as I am currently using? It is not the DAW that is the problem for me it is that playing any audio through the 003 distorts badly.