How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2022, 09:50 PM

Default New S6 user - idiot questions!

I've just purchased a second hand S6 after years on D-Command,
I love it - what a beast - but serious learning curve ahead.
I'm a music mixer - so I'm aware it's somewhat overkill... but you only live once!

I have a few dumb questions - this is only my third day of mixing on it... and my brain is hurting..

Is there a way, when spilling, or recalling layouts that blank, unused channels dont replace what was already on the surface with a blank strip?
(as in Icon setting MIN)
for example, Spilling a VCA with 4 members, Id like to keep the previously displayed other 4 strips, rather than blanking them out.

My layout is 5 bay, 4 fader panels, 4 knob, 3 process and a panner with displays.

I'm struggling with the 4th knob panel - it seems to be only available for expanded knobs...
Is there a way it can be related to the faders underneath?
I figured the All mode would be able to change it's function but that doesnt seem to be the case,

Also - how do I assign sends and plugins?
I can assign outputs.

My software version is 20.6 - am working on getting an upgrade, lots of forms to fill in.

Another really silly question - the pdf manual I have here says software version 3.7, that I've just downloaded from Avid.
The console says 20.6.11
Does that mean the manual is seriously out of date?

Sorry for all the questions!

Many thanks in advance for advice!
Bob
Old 03-15-2022, 06:25 AM
Avid

Default Re: New S6 user - idiot questions!

Greetings,

When spilling into a Spill Zone (L or R) which you've defined, the container space is not variable. If you create an 8 fader spill zone - you can have less or more items inside of the zone (User 1 User 2 will Bank within the Zone) - but the container will always be the size you've defined unless you reconfigure it.

By 4th Knob - I believe you are referring to the encoder on the Process Module, which yes, is independent by design. This always defaults to Pan but can be toggled to show any other function view - Sends, Dyn, EQ, etc. Use the ALL switch to change all Process Module encoders at once. Create Track Layouts and include the Process Module views in addition to the Knob Module views stored into the Layout. This can be handy if you want, for example, EQ on the primary Knob Module strip and one key Send level (subharmonic for example) on the knob above.

Currently the only way to assign Insert / Plug-Ins is to leverage the Favorite EQ + Dyn - where pressing either of those function switches from the process module will add to one or more strips on the desk which don't already have EQ or Dyn assigned to them.

The current version of S4 / S6 Software is 21.10.1. Here's a nice high level view of changes in software over time:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zkvn6v9uf...story.pdf?dl=0

Here's the master Knowledge Base article where you can find all current documentation for S4 & S6:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...Product-Guides

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 03-15-2022, 01:40 PM

Thankyou so much Jeff..
That’s a great resource. Very helpful.

By the 4th knob panel, I was referring to an entire knob module- in the last bucket of the console.
There’s a joystick panner module, then the knob module then fader module.

Is that knob module not able to work with the faders immediately below it, as the other ones do? It works only as an expand zone, I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2022, 04:03 PM
Avid

Ahh, understood. Sorry about that.

Yes, without a Process Module, that Knob Module can only be an On Attention Knob Module - which is populated (to the function of your choice -> EQ, Dyn, Sends, etc) when a track is attentioned - either directly from the surface (using the triangle switch on each strip) or by clicking from the DAW.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ