Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 01-18-2018, 11:30 AM

Default Re: mobo's with perfect HD/HDX compatibility? Win10 cubase multicore issue also with

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
People around here complain about the "center core" spiking on 4 core systems and every other system and the same issue on Mac/OSX. There is ways, plugins, and system problems that force this to happen that have nothing to do with what you are concerned about. As I said, I do this all the time, far more than anyone else here and I have never seen anything like it. Yes hyperthreading is enabled.

The 8700k runs at 4.7Ghz without overclocking. Makes 0 sense to run it at 4Ghz.

Latency is fine on Windows. Just like Macs, your audio interface driver is the biggest determining factor. Your posts seriously read like someone who is trying to talk far to high above their paygrade....
Wow.. was there any need to be so condescending and rude? No matter, i will say what i have to say, then i will mute you to avoid future conflict, and never read a single thing you ever say at this forum ever again, for the duration of my lifetime.

YOU don't know what you are talking about. Building PC's and repairing them was my job for *many* years. I think the issue is that you actually have no understanding of what I am even asking about here, at all. I guess that frustrates you, so you have to act like a big know it all where as in reality, everything I have said has gone right over your head.

4.7 ghz is the turbo frequency.. and i would much rather have a 3.7ghz processor run at 4GHZ permanently 24/7, than fluctuate.. Disabling turbo, all c states, eist etc is the most important thing anyone can do for consistent performance.. the fact you don't know that means you are not qualified to talk about it. Bye.

PS your answer was useless to begin with, you didn't even say if it was windows 10 you "built" systems with, or what version of PT.. just another person trying to attack someone for absolutely no reason at all.

I have been so polite in this topic, look at the way I answered people, and then you had to virtue signal and be rude and ruin it.

PPS the fact that you think the processor is not being overclocked when it turbos to 4.7 means you should seriously be looking for another line of work.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:38 AM

Default Re: mobo's with perfect HD/HDX compatibility? Win10 cubase multicore issue also with

I'll just rephrase another part of my question since the rude person is not worth quoting again..

What i mean is when i ask about low latency performance, is how windows 10 users find pro tools with their asio interfaces at 32 and 64 samples.

I have 7 different interfaces and on mac it doesn't matter, there are massive issues with multicore usage when under 128 samples.. I just wanted to know if these "in general" present themselves on windows. Of course, depending on the interface and quality of it's driver, is what determines RTL and to an extent it's performance. But what I have found over the 27 years of doing this is, that if there is a problem with a DAW in particular, it will manifest itself regardless of audio hardware used.

In the case of pro tools on mac, with PT above 12.4 and OS above 10.10, there is a core usage bug where all cores get hammered when monitoring a single track below 128 buffer. It does not happen on windows 7 and PT 12.7, and i was basically wondering if it happened on Windows 10. This will have absolutely nothing to do with what audio interface you use, it will be something that happens regardless when you arm a VI track, any VI, at a buffer under 128 samples. For those wondering about the issue, this is it here:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=396058
Old 01-18-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Wow.. was there any need to be so condescending and rude? No matter, i will say what i have to say, then i will mute you to avoid future conflict, and never read a single thing you ever say at this forum ever again, for the duration of my lifetime.

YOU don't know what you are talking about. Building PC's and repairing them was my job for *many* years. I think the issue is that you actually have no understanding of what I am even asking about here, at all. I guess that frustrates you, so you have to act like a big know it all where as in reality, everything I have said has gone right over your head.

4.7 ghz is the turbo frequency.. and i would much rather have a 3.7ghz processor run at 4GHZ permanently 24/7, than fluctuate.. Disabling turbo, all c states, eist etc is the most important thing anyone can do for consistent performance.. the fact you don't know that means you are not qualified to talk about it. Bye.

PS your answer was useless to begin with, you didn't even say if it was windows 10 you "built" systems with, or what version of PT.. just another person trying to attack someone for absolutely no reason at all.

I have been so polite in this topic, look at the way I answered people, and then you had to virtue signal and be rude and ruin it.

PPS the fact that you think the processor is not being overclocked when it turbos to 4.7 means you should seriously be looking for another line of work.
Believe it or not, I went over the Cubase forum links. As I stated, I have never seen anything like this in Pro Tools. The "center core" issue has been posted about on these forums for ages. Has nothing to do with the amount of cores. You have to realize, most of us have other things to do besides type up long rambling diatribes. Most people are going to answer short and to the point.

I am obviously not building systems with Windows NT and Pro Tools 5.1.3. The customer obviously has their choice. It should be pretty obvious to you that I am going to be more than familiar with most every version of Pro Tools and have to be able to support it.

Considering MS has stopped selling both Windows 7 and 8.1 and are only purchasable through existing stock kind of makes that answer obvious, or you could have looked at my store and answered that question if it was not obvious with a bit of thought. Its rare to ship anything other than Windows 10. Getting licences for 7-8 is getting a bit sketchy.

Just FYI, build and test every new processor series on the market, do multiple performance, stability testing over long terms on Windows systems with stacks of different interfaces and testing different configurations. Been running studios on Windows systems for many years. Only been helping here on the DUC with PC's for about 15 years now and still regularly collaborate with some of the great guys around here. I also have a 8700k sitting in there that I have been working on and testing for a couple months now. I am building another 7900x next week. Like it or not, I am a pretty good source of information. If you don't see the difference between what you did with standard desktops and what I do where the focus has been 100% Pro Tools based, I don't know what to tell you.

Windows 10 systems work great at a 64HW Buffer (With every version of 12) assuming your interface can handle it. Some interfaces will not work properly at 64HW Buffer and you have to work at 128. Other interfaces work at 64HW Buffer perfect. Very few interface will work properly at 32HW Buffer. Again, the Driver is the biggest culprit in differences.

Accuse me of being rude.... Did you read your post???

Feel free to quote this for him Daniel

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10

Last edited by guitardom; 01-18-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:56 PM

FWIW, I read guitardom's post twice and find nothing rude or condescending about it. Its all matter-of-fact, plain and simple. Once you've been around here a while(and don't cop an attitude) you find out soon enough who actually DOES get nasty(and guitardom ain't one of those). It also seems to correspond to the number of posts a user has I suggest a round of beers for everyone and then we can just work on the problems

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-18-2018, 02:29 PM

Hahahah

Steve is straight legit..

And we on the site count him as a true barometer of all things Windows (including hardware)

He would not risk his business by giving false or misleading information

Just be glad you didn’t have Daryl Ram answering your questions!!!!

We love you DRamm
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
FWIW, I read guitardom's post twice and find nothing rude or condescending about it. Its all matter-of-fact, plain and simple. Once you've been around here a while(and don't cop an attitude) you find out soon enough who actually DOES get nasty(and guitardom ain't one of those). It also seems to correspond to the number of posts a user has I suggest a round of beers for everyone and then we can just work on the problems
the fact you don't find "Your posts seriously read like someone who is trying to talk far to high above their paygrade...."

condescending is super scary in itself.

See ya.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Hahahah

Steve is straight legit..

And we on the site count him as a true barometer of all things Windows (including hardware)

He would not risk his business by giving false or misleading information

Just be glad you didn’t have Daryl Ram answering your questions!!!!

We love you DRamm
I wouldn't care if he was the CEO of microsoft. No one talks to me that way and publicly humiliates me without having no actual *idea* of my past or skill level. Guess what, i build computers too. So i haven't used pro tools on a windows computer with 8 cores cause i've been a mac guy for a while.. WOW.. that's why I was asking those who had.. does that somehow make my brain inferior to his?

In any case, i think i am just going to bite the bullet and get a mac pro, and buy the thunderbolt PCIE chassis in the marketplace. The 8 core mac pro is still plenty of power for me, and i can easily downgrade it to Sierra (where as i couldn't do that with the imac pro), get a cheap 64gb ram from OWC.. even upgrade the SSD at any time.. But yeah it's 33% cheaper to get a 1TB 64GB 8 core mac pro than it is the imac pro.
Sure, the imac pro is around 25% faster (according to geekbench), but it's still plenty for me, and i can get one for 10% discount from DSE in store as a custom order. I order all my macs from them and get a 10% discount. For now I'll also just use my imac 27" 2560x1440 as the screen. I am better off without retina, cause performance is better i find, and secondly, not all my plugins are updated yet and some look awful blurry.
Not to mention the 6 thunderbolt 2 ports, which means i don't have to invest in any adaptors.

So this topic can be closed. I'm over it. Mod please feel free to close at any time. Cheers.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Windows 10 no matter what edition can't use more than 32 processor threads in total for one instance of an app.
I have personally seen programs use 100% of 128 threads on windows 10 64bit, where is this 32 thread limit per app come from? If that is true, it would be because avid has limited the amount of threads it can use. Is there any truth to that, or if I build a 88 thread xeon computer, will protools 2018 allow itself and plugins up to full 88 threads?

I am currently wanting to build a new PC for my studio and my current sig rig is not allowing me to run as many plugins & VI's as I would like and this post is making me wonder, should I go for 16-32 higher clock threads, or go for 2 Xeon E5-2699v4 for 88 threads for ultimate headroom (I plan to do some huge projects with high bitrate, track count and VI's)
Avid S3 Control Surface
Avid Dock w/iPad Interface
Avid Eleven Rack (Guitar & Windows Audio)
Genelec 8351A SAM Monitors
JBL LRS-308 Monitors
Dangrous Monitor ST Controler
Akai MPK249 Keyboard
ProTools 2018 HD
Cakewalk SONAR Platinum
EastWest Full Sound Library (1.3TB+)
Various Other Sound Libraries (400GB+)
Waves Murcery Bundle
Slate Digital Everything Bundle
Akai MPC Essentials
Adobe CC Suite
Old 03-12-2018, 05:09 PM

edit

Last edited by TNM; 12-25-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:51 AM

Quote:
maybe they implemented a hack on the systems you saw.
Interesting idea, however 2 of the systems I am referring to, I own (I'm posting this message from a 32 thread workstation). I also do animation and CG effects. All run windows 10 pro (no hacks) with my programs from 3DMax, lightwave 3D, houdini FX, E-on Vue, and a few others. On this (32 thread) and my render node (64 thread) I have run renders within a single instance of the app using 100% of all threads for months at a time. I might try and install PT2018 on this 32 core temporally and see how it plays with more than your mentioned 28 limit. The 64 thread currently is in a render that will not be done anytime soon. So, if there is any truth (not calling anyone a liar) it must be under very specific circumstances because I have been busting that "limit" daily since win10 came out.

Would just really like to know how many threads I can throw at PT and it be beneficial against the trade off of clock speed, is it better to only have 20ish cores of higher clocks, or 4x the threads with slightly lower clocks. I already have 1 HDX card and plan to pick up a sound grid extreme in a month or 2, but sadly still have plenty of non-dsp plugins and VI's that suck up power that unless there is something I don't know, must rely on the hosts CPU(s).
Avid S3 Control Surface
Avid Dock w/iPad Interface
Avid Eleven Rack (Guitar & Windows Audio)
Genelec 8351A SAM Monitors
JBL LRS-308 Monitors
Dangrous Monitor ST Controler
Akai MPK249 Keyboard
ProTools 2018 HD
Cakewalk SONAR Platinum
EastWest Full Sound Library (1.3TB+)
Various Other Sound Libraries (400GB+)
Waves Murcery Bundle
Slate Digital Everything Bundle
Akai MPC Essentials
Adobe CC Suite