Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2018, 08:57 PM

Default Re: What do I need to monitor in Dolby Atmos with my setup?

In an academic environment, I would argue for going full Native on this one. All the aux tracks or use of the Dolby Audio Bridge can be run in Native mode with very little resources. The students won’t be injured by a little latency. There are drawbacks, but it’s worth thinking about if you need to save money.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
In an academic environment, I would argue for going full Native on this one. All the aux tracks or use of the Dolby Audio Bridge can be run in Native mode with very little resources. The students won’t be injured by a little latency. There are drawbacks, but it’s worth thinking about if you need to save money.

I forgot about the new Dolby Audio Bridge. Does that remove the need for send and return plugins to communicate with the Production Suite Renderer?
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
I forgot about the new Dolby Audio Bridge. Does that remove the need for send and return plugins to communicate with the Production Suite Renderer?
Yep. But in exchange for this reduction in resources, Pro Tools must use the Dolby Audio Bridge as a playback engine, and the Dolby app is the last stop on the way to the audio interface.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Yep. But in exchange for this reduction in resources, Pro Tools must use the Dolby Audio Bridge as a playback engine, and the Dolby app is the last stop on the way to the audio interface.

Ah, so I’m guessing the PT card isn’t an option for outputting from the Renderer. Hmm. Maybe in this scenario, he could also install a MADI or Dante card and use that to route the 22 outputs back into the MTRX.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 09-21-2018, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Luckily DADman (the controlling software for the MTRX) is outside of Pro Tools and that can have Eucon enabled while Pro Tools has Eucon off. But you will need to either control DADman by mouse/keyboard or get a separate Eucon controller only for it.
The free PT Control app for iPad works perfectly fine with the DADman/Pro Mon software. One of the cool features is that you can programme softkeys for your sources, speaker sets, etc. so you get a remote control with the layout of your choice. At the recent IBC show in Amsterdam, Avid even showed a beta version of the PT Control app with a separate monitor section controlling the DADman/Pro Mon software.

Our MOM (http://www.digitalaudio.dk/PRODUCTS/...erating-Mudule) is also an option. This even works in parallel with the Eucon surfaces so you can use the PT Control app in combination with the MOM, or even multiple MOMs.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:

The Audio Bridge only allows for 32 channels with Pro Tools. Would this be enough for theatrical? Also its either send or receive. Not both. How does that work? Just curious for my own use.

“The Dolby Audio Bridge can either be used to send signal FROM a core audio DAW to the renderer (in the case of recording a .atmos) OR FROM the renderer TO a core audio DAW (if the user wishes to record speaker, re-render or binaural outputs). It cannot be used simultaneously for send and return. It can be used for 128 channels in Nuendo but only 32 channels in Pro Tools due to Avid software restrictions.”
Old 09-21-2018, 09:22 AM

Hmm, odd. I didn't;'t hear that it couldn't be used for both at the same time. Where did that quote come from?

If you are in Pro Tools, I wouldn't use the Audio Bridge at all. Not if you are using the Production Suite. Pro Tools communicates with the the Production Suite using send/return plugins, and it works great. This is how it's been done since day one. You won't be limited to 32 tracks. All those aux tracks waste voices, but that is the only down side.

If you aren't using the Production Suite, and you want to have dedicated hardware renderer CPU, then you are going to be using MADI or Dante, not Audio Bridge. I suspect Audio Bridge was made as a solution for apps like Nuendo that can't use the AAX send plugins, so it can communicate with the Production Suite Renderer.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 09-21-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
Hmm, odd. I didn't;'t hear that it couldn't be used for both at the same time. Where did that quote come from?

It came from here.
https://developerkb.dolby.com/suppor...-to-pro-tools-
Old 09-21-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Yep, there it is. Ok, so definitely not the best option IMO. If you are using the Production Suite, just use the send and return AAX plugins. They also make HDX versions. So that's cool, too.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD

Last edited by lucienpalmer; 09-21-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntp-jl View Post
The free PT Control app for iPad works perfectly fine with the DADman/Pro Mon software. One of the cool features is that you can programme softkeys for your sources, speaker sets, etc. so you get a remote control with the layout of your choice. At the recent IBC show in Amsterdam, Avid even showed a beta version of the PT Control app with a separate monitor section controlling the DADman/Pro Mon software.

Our MOM (http://www.digitalaudio.dk/PRODUCTS/...erating-Mudule) is also an option. This even works in parallel with the Eucon surfaces so you can use the PT Control app in combination with the MOM, or even multiple MOMs.
Wouldn't I run into the problem that since the PT control app run through EUCON, I wouldn't be able to use my ICON D-Control 32 at the same time?

It would be so much simpler to get an S6.. the cost of the upgrade is pretty steep though @ 80k.. from dcontrol 32 to S6 M40... I wonder if they do crossgrade to smaller configuration like an S6 M10

Right now I'm trying to find a solution where I can still use the ICON, have a way of panning object around (ICON panner won't work), connect all the speakers and be able control them as a starting point

Does the DAD software comes bundled with the MTRX btw?
Also any Ipad app i could use for using the integrated Atmos panner in Protools that would work without eucon...?

I want to present my workplace with a few upgrade path:
1- the cheapest option to get started with what we have
(MTRX with 24outs and PSQ Card,1 x extra HDX card, 1 x Ipad for panning and monitor control)

2- a middle ground option,
(S6 M10, MTRX with 24outs and PSQ Card,1 x extra HDX card)

3- a full future proof setup.
(S6 M40, MTRX with 24outs and PSQ Card,1 x extra HDX card)

They have just spend a huge amount of money on a new campus, bought an SSL for the recording studio etc.. so the accountant won't be too thrilled with me asking to spend an extra 100K + ha ha!

Thanks again for chiming in with all your expertise guy... I'm a 7.1 mixer and this is my first time setting up an Atmos rig..

Also bear in mind that this is only for teaching and introducing student to the Atmos workflow at this stage, we don't need to author in Atmos and spend another 20k on an MRU yet, however once we get started I want to be able to develop the course to make it more seriously focused on Atmos.