Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-08-2018, 04:58 PM

Default Routing Pro Tools HD 10 to two identical outputs

I've found another thread on this topic but doesn't seem to work for my setup.

I'm running Pro Tools 10 HD on mac, using an HD I/O 8x8x8.

I have my monitors setup and working, with the analog outputs as follows:

Output 1 = L
Output 3 = R

This is my main stereo output, and this feeds my monitors. I've attached a screenshot.

So out of the loom of the analog out from the HD I/O, 1 and 3 are feeding my monitors. I'd like to route the main stereo output (without creating an aux send if possible) so an identical signal will go the outputs say, 5-6 on the loom and into my headphone amp. Going crazy trying to do this, but I'm sure there must be a simple way.

So far I've tried:

Deleting all the other paths from A 5-6 to A 15-16..... then control clicking on the Analog 1-2 icon, but all other outputs are greyed out.

The previous i/o setup was using a sub as well, hence the 1 and 3 used as main outputs instead of 1 and 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Routing Pro Tools HD 10 to two identical outputs

setup your output routing.
then go to your mixer and mult your output. Go to your output channel, click and it'll show your main output already selected and then click control while you select the second output routing and pick your second output set. You'll see a + next to the output after doing that and if you click on the output, you'll see the two output setups checked.

You don't do this in the I/O setup page but the mixer/edit windows.

easy visuals here
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...-multiple-outs
Old 03-08-2018, 07:29 PM

Thanks for replying - I have tried this to no avail - my version on Pro Tools HD is 10.3.1

I hold down control, select the output on the mixer, main 1-2 is selected.... then I select another output pair and..... nothing

I've tried selecting the output pair first, THEN holding down control.... still nothing.

I've also tried using the right control key instead of the left.... nada.

Now what is interesting is I can do this with audio tracks, instrument tracks and aux inputs.... but it's the master fader output what I want to mult
Old 03-08-2018, 07:38 PM

Work around for the moment is to mult the mix bus output.... works ok, just wondering why multing the output on the master fader doesn't work... I've seen it done in videos like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KU0t0yIZHc
Old 03-08-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elnico50 View Post
but it's the master fader output what I want to mult
Err... a master fader isn't an output. It's a representation of the bus on the way to the output. Of course you can't mult that. It's a one-to-one item. You need to mult the output.

The most basic reason to use a master fader is for dithering so it is post any fader moves on a bounce.

There is no "fix" for that because that's not the point of a master fader.

Here's a basic layout: you've got 10 audio stem tracks that you are mixing, send them to a "print bus", set up an aux track put the input of that as the "print bus" and send the output of that to two outputs (multi that output) "main" and "headphones." You can then put the "print bus" on a master fader if you want. That master fader controls the signal before it hits the aux.

That aux track could be an audio track instead that is solo safe and then, instead of bouncing, you can print back into your session in real time. Then any plugin put on the master fader will print on that audio track because it is affecting the signal on the way into the audio track.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elnico50 View Post
Work around for the moment is to mult the mix bus output.... works ok, just wondering why multing the output on the master fader doesn't work... I've seen it done in videos like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KU0t0yIZHc
Those aren't master faders. The one without an input enable button is an aux track. The one with an input enable and record is an audio track. A master fader has no input/output options at the top because you are assigning it to a bus. It only has one dropdown there which is where you assign it to what bus you want it to be a master of.

(keep in mind that outputs are actually busses that go to a physical outputs verses virtual routing)
Old 03-27-2018, 10:15 PM

You should just reset it to default with 1/2 being your main L/R outs all the time. If you need a 2nd set of outs you could first send all your audio tracks to a submix(aux track) that feeds the main outs(master fader). Then mult the submix outputs(control click) and have the mult'ed outs feed a 2nd stereo master.

example:
all audio tracks(outputs: bus 1/2)
stereo aux track aka submix(inputs: bus 1/2 & outputs: 1/2, +3/4
stereo master fader (outputs: 1/2)
stereo master fader (outputs: 3/4)

What monitor controller are you using? Most usually have aux outs that could be use to feed a headphone amp.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:11 AM

Is there a reason to be using outputs 1&3? I know with the C24, that's the way it works, but if you could change to 1&2, I wonder if that would allow the double-assignment you want. Also, what are you using as a monitor controller? My Presonus Central Station allows me to send the main mix out to a second set of outputs that could easily feed a headphone amp(which I used to do for many years)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-28-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
You should just reset it to default with 1/2 being your main L/R outs all the time. If you need a 2nd set of outs you could first send all your audio tracks to a submix(aux track) that feeds the main outs(master fader). Then mult the submix outputs(control click) and have the mult'ed outs feed a 2nd stereo master.

example:
all audio tracks(outputs: bus 1/2)
stereo aux track aka submix(inputs: bus 1/2 & outputs: 1/2, +3/4
stereo master fader (outputs: 1/2)
stereo master fader (outputs: 3/4)

What monitor controller are you using? Most usually have aux outs that could be use to feed a headphone amp.
---
your current setup seems to be from a surround setup.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
---
your current setup seems to be from a surround setup.
mine?

No its not.