Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-04-2019, 02:35 AM

Default HDX PT 2018 CPU Spikes AAE -9171 Halts Playback

I am having problems putting this system into production. . . been working on it for bout a week w/ no luck so far with errors causing Pro Tools to stop playback.

In one simple test session, I have one stereo audio file routed to 16 stereo Auxes, and one Interface connected, with a 128 sample buffer and 44k1 sr. I am getting CPU spikes of up to 40%. . . won't run for even a second with 64 sample buffer. I have tried with either just a single Aurora Lynx or a Single 192 I/o with same results. Tried different Digilink cables. I have remove All plugins from the folder, Trashed Prefs etc. . . Unused Network interfaces are Off, Wifi off, Blue Tooth off, created a new Admin Login (with minimal things going on), enabled Trim. . . no appreciable differences from any of this. I did go thru the Avid Optimization notes and I think I did everything suggested . . . maybe I missed something?

Interestingly, if I take the same session and change the Playback Engine from HDX to Built-In Outputs, the CPU Total meter stays at 4% and solid, no spikes.

I am coming from a 7 card HD Accel system on PT 10, which has been mostly solid (other than elastic time crashes and poor Virt Inst performance) and very powerful for mixing and was low latency for tracking. . . I am trying to move to newer Po Tools for 64 bit, so I can run newer VIs, and also for features such as Freeze/Commit. I have a couple projects that I need to get started on right away. . .

As soon as I start using some Virtual instruments or other AAX Native plugins, I start to get AAE -9171 halts with a 128 sample buffer. Hard to work at tracking with the system as it is performing at present. . . basically light sessions will not run without the AAE -9171 freeze frequently occurring due to CPU Spikes . . .

Hoping this is solvable. . . Ideas/Suggestions?

System Outline:
Pro Tools 2018-12 on Mac Pro 2010 2.93GHz 12 Core 48GB, ATI Radeon HD 5770
Sierra 10.12.6, 1 HDX Card, Lynx Aurora 16 x 2, 192 i/o x 2
System Disk: OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD
Session: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
Also tried Mac Pro 2010 2.66GHz

Last edited by Howardk; 01-04-2019 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:53 AM

Default Re: HDX PT 2018 CPU Spikes AAE -9171 Halts Playback

Also, I noticed that Pro Tools Quicktime Server shows as Not Responding in Activity Monitor, in case that is relevant.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:51 AM

i had removed hyper-threading and it helped for a day or so, but the next day things were so unstable that i was unable to work at all. I decided to start from scratch, which i had done once before - beginning with a new HD and reinstalling EVERYTHING. One rather huge mistake i had made before things started to go downhill was installing High Sierra - it was the closest OS i could get to El Capitan, which I had been using, but it was not compatible with the latest version of PT i'm able to use - 2018.1.0. I was able to get a Sierra installer from our local pro audio shop and was able to load from a bootable USB drive. i think Apple support might have helped me accomplish that if you're lucky enough to talk to a knowledgeable support person. There's a compatibility chart available from Avid outlining which OS's are tested with the various PT versions.

The great thing about going through all of this was it forced me to go back to the sources and get the latest versions of all of my plugins. Since PT HD is 64-bit, i'm wondering if you're having issues with 32-bit plugins.

in my case, the CPU was spiking up to 100%. I had been using the highest buffer size with 'ignore errors' checked and was still having crashes. Now that i've re-installed everything i noticed yesterday that i was running on 256k buffer without problem, although i had previously rendered some of the tracks with CPU intensive instruments - ie Omni2 and Kontakt.

Mac Pro 6-core, 3.33
OS 10.11.4
Apogee 800
Aurora 16
Old 01-04-2019, 11:06 AM

Hi

Looks like I am not alone.

I just installed Pro Tools 2018-12 on a fresh install of Sierra 10.12.6

Ran my Test Session (one stereo audio file routed to 16 stereo Auxes, and one Interface connected, @ 44k1 sr):

64 sample HW Buffer - Instant AAE-9171 Halt
128 sample HW Buffer - 30% Total CPU Spikes
256 sample HW Buffer - 8% Total CPU Spikes
512 sample HW Buffer - 2% Total CPU Spikes

Basically the same performance as my other system installation, which has all my plugins, Cloud Drives, etc. . installed, and on that one, once I load up some AAX plugins and try to work, Pro Tools frequently halts playback.

What am I missing?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:36 AM

Ive never had stable HDX under 256 buffer.
DSP only on masters.
Places that helped advaced systems on older machines:

Video AMD 7k or better. Nvidia pascal up to MacOs 10.13.x
Ram 16 and above
Ssd with trim enabled. Owc ssd n/a

Try aax plug in folder empty. Launch Pro Tools Ultimate. (This will install match core AAX)
Install and restart HDX Driver.
Resetting P-ram 1 bing
Try test again.

I ve found core Aax should be clean installed with first launch.

Add back/install as needed
Old 01-04-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Ive never had stable HDX under 256 buffer.
DSP only on masters.
Places that helped advaced systems on older machines:

Video AMD 7k or better. Nvidia pascal up to MacOs 10.13.x
Ram 16 and above
Ssd with trim enabled. Owc ssd n/a

Try aax plug in folder empty. Launch Pro Tools Ultimate. (This will install match core AAX)
Install and restart HDX Driver.
Resetting P-ram 1 bing
Try test again.

I ve found core Aax should be clean installed with first launch.

Add back/install as needed
Thanks for the info. I will see what I can try out of the things you suggested that i have not already. . . or will try again. . .

Only thing I have not done is try a different video card but don't know of a good one that is handy (running dual monitors (34"Samsung on DisplayPort + 20"Dell@90degrees on DVI) and the other card i have is a Radeon HD 5870 and it takes up both power connectors. I have not done a PRAM reset in the last couple days. I did enable Trim Support along the way, I think that as a couple days ago (I have a combination of Samsung and OWC drives). I have trashed the Pro Tools Pref and Plug-ins folders a number of times (I have a backup on the Plug-ins folder) and at this point testing on this system is being done with core Avid Plugins only. Disabling Hyper-Threading didn't seem to make any difference to these pesky CPU spikes. Tried just 1x192i/o or one Aurora 16 with v28 for the Aurora and v15 for the LT-HD. I am borrowing an AVID interface from a studio I support, to try. I have disconnected every peripheral I can, no difference. I heard someone had a mouse cause a similar problem. Computers came be fussy things!

Doesn’t the HW buffer size directly affect the minimum latency when recording? If so 256 would be a problem... that is about 6 msec @44k1... I will have players not liking it and it is a step back from my old HD system... so not good news.

Interestly, I reinstalled my old System disk (Pro Tools 10 on Mountain Lion, originally connected to an EB7 with 7 mix cards) into this computer, still w/ HDX card inside computer, and ran the test session, CPU(Native): Solid at 3%, no spikes.
. That says something. . .

Unfortunately a lot of my iLok authorizations are blown up by upgrades done for Pro Tools 2018, so going back to the old HD 7 system would be some work and does not address being able to use newer virtual instruments, etc. . .

Test I will do next is a clean install on El Capitan, see if there is any difference compared to Sierra. . . and from there, if no success, try and get my hands on older versions of Pro Tools 2018 (I only have access to 2018-01 & 12).

. . .fingers crossed. . .

Last edited by Howardk; 01-04-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-04-2019, 02:32 PM

Ok, fresh install of El Capitan and Pro Tools 2018-10 on a single Aurora 16. . .

Running simple test session and seeing this for CPU Spikes:

Buffer Spikes

Aurora 16 (Firmware v28/v15)
------------------
64 AAE -9171 instantly
128 1-89%
256 1-46%
512 1-13%
1024 1-3%

192 i/o (Firmware ?)
---------------------
64 AAE -9171 instantly
128 1%-58%
256 1%-24%
512 1-4%
1024 1-4%

AVID 8x8x8 Interface (Firmware ?)
---------------------------------------
64 AAE -9171 Pretty quickly
128 1-75%
256 1%-49%
512 1%-10%
1024 1-4%

I did not run these test for long. . . and the Spikes are a bit random, so not totally conclusive readings, but the Spikes are certainly there in all cases, compared to running Built in Output for instance, or an older HD Accel rig.

Last edited by Howardk; 01-05-2019 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:19 AM

Recording session went flawlessly.

But then listening back to some other sessions with no plugins I had a couple of dropouts for no apparent reason. As you said howardk like the weather!

And a freaky MIDI bug that is seriously not good. A bug that deletes all the MIDI on a track when you write one note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24
Old 01-14-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.engineer View Post
Recording session went flawlessly.

But then listening back to some other sessions with no plugins I had a couple of dropouts for no apparent reason. As you said howardk like the weather!

And a freaky MIDI bug that is seriously not good. A bug that deletes all the MIDI on a track when you write one note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's strange behavior! Neither of which I have seen.

I did see a couple strange events on my system a) audio segments/regions went missing/off-line from a session, and I had to relink by name and the files where still within the session's Audio Files folder. b) Pro Tools corrupted a source file when I was importing into a track for reference. . . both strange occurrences I have never seen happen before. I have been using Pro Tools HD since 1998 (had a 5 card Mix system with a couple samplecell cards in an expansion chassis) and moved to Accel when it first came out and eventually grew it to HD7. . . I have never felt as nervous using Pro Tools as I do right now with 2018 Ultimate.

Aside from the strange occurrences. . . I sure would like to know when these "weather related" CPU spikes made their way into Pro Tools HD. . . which versions of OS X/Pro Tools? and what the remedy is?

Does replacing the Video card with a more capable Model make the difference to eliminate these CPU Spike/log jams?

Last edited by Howardk; 01-14-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:56 AM

What I can say for sure is that my new (downgraded) Asus 27" 1080p screen connected via HDMI to my AMD Radeon R9 280X has significantly reduced crashes and cpu errors.

Also, just read on another thread about uninstalling the Avid App Manager (which I had done already) may help you out.

I seem to have about one CPU spike early on in my day (usually during playback) and then nothing for the whole day.

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24