Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-07-2019, 04:05 PM
Ben Jenssen's Avatar
Ben Jenssen Ben Jenssen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Oslo
Posts: 3,113
Default Re: System Upgrade to High Sierra - firmware update backwards compatible to Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
There is a command line you can enter in Terminal that bypasses changing the file system to APFS when installing High Sierra. It’s possible the installer you used perhaps had a patch created so that this was part of the install process.
Thanks. Yes, just a part of the hack, probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Also, a SATA connection doesn’t mean it’s an HDD. SSDs still connect via SATA. So that is not the reason it’s wasn’t upgrade to APFS.
That... makes no sense to me...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-07-2019, 04:08 PM
Sardi Sardi is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,784
Default Re: System Upgrade to High Sierra - firmware update backwards compatible to Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
That... makes no sense to me...

What doesn’t make sense?

Solid State Drives still connect to SATA ports inside your computer like traditional rotational Hard Drives.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-07-2019, 04:52 PM
Ben Jenssen's Avatar
Ben Jenssen Ben Jenssen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Oslo
Posts: 3,113
Default Re: System Upgrade to High Sierra - firmware update backwards compatible to Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
What doesn’t make sense?
Solid State Drives still connect to SATA ports inside your computer like traditional rotational Hard Drives.
I think we're de-railing the thread here, but I can't see the relevance to what was being discussed.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-07-2019, 05:24 PM
Sardi Sardi is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,784
Default Re: System Upgrade to High Sierra - firmware update backwards compatible to Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I think we're de-railing the thread here, but I can't see the relevance to what was being discussed.


Sorry. That wasn’t the intent.

I was just clarifying something that Chris said in relation to why your file system may not have been updated to APFS. The implication was that your drive connected to a SATA port was an HDD and not an SSD.

But I’ll shut up now if that’s what you prefer.

As you were.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-07-2019, 05:44 PM
Ben Jenssen's Avatar
Ben Jenssen Ben Jenssen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Oslo
Posts: 3,113
Default Re: System Upgrade to High Sierra - firmware update backwards compatible to Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
But I’ll shut up now if that’s what you prefer.
I did not mean to say that. Let's not quarrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I have the "Systemdisk" as a partition on a OWC extreme G6 SSD on PCIe card. Appx 500mb/s read/write speed. 24gb RAM, although 800mHz, and the old lady is still kicking.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-08-2019, 02:39 AM
tonwurm's Avatar
tonwurm tonwurm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: europe
Posts: 734
Default Re: System Upgrade to High Sierra - firmware update backwards compatible to Mavericks

thank you for trying to help me and thank you to everyone else in this thread too ... very appreciated !

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The firmware update won't interfere with being able to dual-boot. Let me understand: your machine currently is flashed to act as a 5.1 right?....
yes, it´s flashed to act as a 5,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Until a couple of weeks ago I ran a dual-boot on the same ssd: one partition for Mavericks and one for High Sierra. Before I went to HS that partition was Sierra. When I went to HS I installed it onto the Sierra partition and that was the only partition that changed to APFS formatting. .....
are you still able to read files on the HS partition if you´ve booted from the Mavericks partition ?
__________________
Mac Pro 2010 - PT10 HD3, PT12 HD, Logic X, DP 7, VEPro, OSX 10.9.5 / 10.12.6
MacBook Pro - Logic X, Mainstage
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-08-2019, 04:48 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,887
Default Re: System Upgrade to High Sierra - firmware update backwards compatible to Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post
thank you for trying to help me and thank you to everyone else in this thread too ... very appreciated !



yes, it´s flashed to act as a 5,1



are you still able to read files on the HS partition if you´ve booted from the Mavericks partition ?
I could if I had to but I really didn't have to do that. Don't know why I would have to do that anyways - my PT session files are on a separate internal spinner. I don't have that setup anymore as I'm down to a single High Sierra partition. As detailed in another thread the only reason I even had the Mavericks partition was so I could run NI's B4II and Pro 53. I have other vi's that cover those instruments so I dumped the Mavericks partition. I did have PT 10.3.1 on that partition but I hadn't used that PT in a dog's age. I opened up all my PT10 sessions in PT 11.3.2 and worked from there.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-08-2019, 08:06 AM
tonwurm's Avatar
tonwurm tonwurm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: europe
Posts: 734
Default Re: System Upgrade to High Sierra - firmware update backwards compatible to Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I could if I had to but I really didn't have to do that. Don't know why I would have to do that anyways - my PT session files are on a separate internal spinner. I don't have that setup anymore as I'm down to a single High Sierra partition. As detailed in another thread the only reason I even had the Mavericks partition was so I could run NI's B4II and Pro 53. I have other vi's that cover those instruments so I dumped the Mavericks partition. I did have PT 10.3.1 on that partition but I hadn't used that PT in a dog's age. I opened up all my PT10 sessions in PT 11.3.2 and worked from there.
okay ... thanks for the info

I have my huge music library on the Sierra drive since it´s way larger than the mavericks drive. So I hope I can access it under mavericks... we will see ;-)

edit: my PT projects are on an extra drive, of course
__________________
Mac Pro 2010 - PT10 HD3, PT12 HD, Logic X, DP 7, VEPro, OSX 10.9.5 / 10.12.6
MacBook Pro - Logic X, Mainstage
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-08-2019, 03:15 PM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,887
Default Re: System Upgrade to High Sierra - firmware update backwards compatible to Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post
okay ... thanks for the info

I have my huge music library on the Sierra drive since it´s way larger than the mavericks drive. So I hope I can access it under mavericks... we will see ;-)

edit: my PT projects are on an extra drive, of course
I still put my samples on their own drive. Would never want to mix system stuff and samples and session on the same drive. Makes maintenance easier for me with things on separate drives. Also if the system drive takes a dump I still have access to my samples. You may want to think about that.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-08-2019, 03:58 PM
tonwurm's Avatar
tonwurm tonwurm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: europe
Posts: 734
Default Re: System Upgrade to High Sierra - firmware update backwards compatible to Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I still put my samples on their own drive. Would never want to mix system stuff and samples and session on the same drive. Makes maintenance easier for me with things on separate drives. Also if the system drive takes a dump I still have access to my samples. You may want to think about that.
you're absolutely right ;-) ... You know, I never thought that this could be a problem at some point. But you never stop learning. Thank you musicman!
__________________
Mac Pro 2010 - PT10 HD3, PT12 HD, Logic X, DP 7, VEPro, OSX 10.9.5 / 10.12.6
MacBook Pro - Logic X, Mainstage
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is HDX Firmware Backwards Compatible? Logichead Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 9 04-10-2019 10:54 PM
003 Rack+ compatible with PT 2018.4 & High Sierra 10.13.4 skizzo FireWire and USB Audio Interfaces (Mac) 3 03-12-2019 09:56 AM
D-Command Firmware update backwards compatible? inky macOS 4 09-18-2014 02:48 PM
Are Firmware Updates backwards Compatible? teacherman Tips & Tricks 1 05-03-2010 10:49 AM
Is firmware backwards compatible? guy.fi 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 1 03-26-2007 09:52 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:57 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com