Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-07-2015, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Advice on setting up for Post

No, the HDMI port on the newer Mac Pros is the same as a DVI port on the older Mac Pros.
It's the video card not the connector type where the slop lives

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-07-2015, 02:25 AM

The GPU HDMI is desktop video. The output is your desktop display, not a dedicated output that you can't drag windows to. The GPU HDMI output is proven to he totally untrustworthy. B

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 08-07-2015, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
No, the HDMI port on the newer Mac Pros is the same as a DVI port on the older Mac Pros.
It's the video card not the connector type where the slop lives
Gotcha. Thanks! That's 50% of my uncertainty cleared up. So, all that leaves now is why one would need external sync just to feed video out to a display?
Old 08-07-2015, 02:26 AM

Most computer monitors don't do low refresh rates - 24, 25, etc, and also don't do progressive. Thus if you're not watching through a proper monitor, through a proper vide device, you're not seeing it properly.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 08-07-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
Gotcha. Thanks! That's 50% of my uncertainty cleared up. So, all that leaves now is why one would need external sync just to feed video out to a display?
If you're not locking to another external machine you don't.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 08-07-2015, 02:30 AM

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help clear things up for me! Thank you.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:34 AM

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Just to clear things up a bit...............

Ok so I spoke to my Avid dealer today (whom I have dealt with for 20 years and I know is very experienced) and asked him about this, asking is the sync ok with extended desktop using the HDMI out on a mac pro. He told me that all of the big studios in town (including post houses) that he has fitted out do exactly that, and that there is no need for a Sync HD unless you are locking up to external gear.

So I decided to ring another friend who I worked with on a movie recently. This guy is one of the most respected post mixers / sound designers in the country and has mixed many major films that you all would have seen. He has also owned a major post facility, and now has a very good surround mixing room that he works in from his home. I asked him the same question. He said words to the effect of "well it really depends how purist and pedantic you want to get about it. The reality is that there are sync issues that are introduced all over the place and there always have been." He does not use a gen locked system and seems to get by just fine, and has won and been nominated for many awards over the years.

So anyway, I have put in an order for a new Mac Pro (need to upgrade my 2009 cheese grater) with 2 screens, and plan on trying the 2nd screen with extended desktop through hdmi and see how I go with sync. I always have the option of adding a t-tap, or even a proper gen-locked system with a Kona or something at a later point if sync becomes an issue. Thanks for all of your advice guys, it's very much appreciated. I guess time will tell how I go!

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 08-07-2015, 10:22 AM

Don't confuse a video peripheral with genlock, they're two different topics.

Your mixer friend sounds like he agrees with the consensus here, that genlock is not an absolute requirement. PTE's test seem to show that.

BUT the other issue besides reference sync is desktop video / built-in video / HDMI port / whatever you want to call it. It is proven to be unreliable. It doesn't just introduce a delay it is a variable delay so it cannot be compensated for. Which might be OK for a basic edit rig. I use my laptop that way when I need to edit outside a studio. But I wouldn't want to finish a mix that way, especially with a client in the room. It's such a small investment in the long run, I don't understand why there is such a motivation to stick with the built-in port.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:25 AM

I don't want to beat this topic to death, but there is something to add:

If all you're doing is mixing music cues and sending them out to the re-recording mixer, extended desktop video will get you there. But if you have clients attending your session, and you're fixing actor's lipsync by nudging syllables by a 1/4 frame here and there, you will quickly discover why this is a big issue in audio post.

Go to a color correct session with a real projector and you will be astonished by how tight the video is compared to the rubbery video we've put up with in audio post these years. The new Avid Video Engine in PT11/12 is a big improvement, and Avid has announced that accuracy has been improved for extended desktop as well. But $295 for a T-Tap... come on. That's cheap.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:05 PM

Ok thanks guys.

My post mixer friend is on an older protools system so I'm guessing he might be using a Mojo, which apparently has pretty tight timing. Maybe that's why he isn't using gen-lock. :)

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/