Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Issues with FireWire on Digi 002 Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwhitney View Post
It might be the Pyro Card...

2 months ago I bought the Pyro PCI64R2 3 Port Firewire and my 003R does not talk to it. I've seen people with similar setups as mine with the same card working.

I tried 3 other Firewire Cards without the TI chipset and the 003R found them... (spite the buffer issues)

My firewire hard drive and video camera's find the Pyro card just fine.

So I wonder if the new cards which are supposed to be 64bit Vista has some nuance some of the 002 and 003R do not like?

Tried different ports and a different system.

if ignorance is bliss, then why isn't everyone happy
Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Your reply is a little unclear. The Answerbase isn't a way to communicate with tech support. Are you possibly referring to the Tech Support Request Form (the Email Us tab, specifically)?

If so, what's the confirmation number of your request? I'd like to look up it's history.

Given the description of the problem, I would say that the last reply you got was accurate - that you'll need to send it in for repair. You have the option of getting it repaired by Digidesign directly, or through one of our authorized repair centers:

http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&itemid=4915

Unfortunately I don't see any other way of verifying what's wrong with your unit - a repair tech will have to look at it to make that determination.
Here ya go.

Reference # 090526-000131

I am more irked at the fact that they never answered my question, but hopefully you will see that.

if ignorance is bliss, then why isn't everyone happy
Old 08-16-2009, 02:23 PM

After finally getting my P5K System up and running, and having this unit for a year, I am now having this exact same problem. Needless to say, I am pissed beyond belief. I'm going to have to save up and buy an 003
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 08-16-2009, 02:34 PM

I mean ideally, you'd think these things would work indefinitely, or for a long time. I've had Roland gear and other outboard stuff that is going on 15 years w/o one battery change, one component failure, and I have to move lots of stuff around.

If it isn't a 6085 error, some driver incompatibility, some out of memory error, or now some hardware failure, its always something else. When I had my Digi 001 P4 System, it was just get up and go. Now w/the Digi 002, its always some other problem! I'm debating whether or not to get an 003. Luckily, I have an MBox2 on loan from the school that I teach at lying around.

I'm afraid to spend $350 to send this piece in, because then what happens when I get the dreaded power harness issue. This is unacceptable.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 08-18-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwanws2 View Post
*Just for clarification, I am running Vista Home Premium 64-bit with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz processor and 8 GB of DDR2-800 Ram. The Digi 002 is connecting through a Digidesign approved FireWire card, the ADS Pyro PCI 64.

So, basically, turn on my system and the bootup goes as it regularly does. The 44.1 kH sample light goes on and as does the mute button. I am able to turn off the mute button. The 1394 Link light on the back is on and stays on continuously. The 1394 light on the front however does not turn on and the computer cannot see the Digi 002 rack. I have an Mbox which is recognized by the computer. Any ideas short of sending it into Digidesign for $350, which is outrageous, would be appreciated.

And here is the troubleshooting that I have done so far:

Tried it on a different computer, different operating system (Vista, XP, and Mac OSX), as well as trying several different cables.

Tried a new power harness. Please don't tell me to get a new power harness. Ignoring the fact that the power harness issue has different symptons, I already tried.

Took apart the Digi 002 completely, every screw and every card and checked it. While doing this I discovered some sort of buildup or residue on the front most card in the unit that interfaces with the controls. Tried to clean it off as much as I could.

I also took a voltometer and check that the ports themselves were fine, which the seems to be.

I have not tried to hit the unit with a heat gun though I was advised that it might help.

So any help in this would be very nice!
I did not see from above where you switched firewire cables. I am sure you must have tried this early on, right? This solved this same problem for me.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akakpaws View Post
I did not see from above where you switched firewire cables. I am sure you must have tried this early on, right? This solved this same problem for me.
Oh, there it is - you did trdifferent cables. I missed this before. Sorry!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwanws2 View Post
Here ya go.

Reference # 090526-000131

I am more irked at the fact that they never answered my question, but hopefully you will see that.
I've read the email exchange. The question you were asking was answered, but I see where you may not have understand that. When you asked 'are there any other situations that could cause this', the tech answered that with the 3 situations where it could - computer, compatibility, 002.

The tech kept directing you to the ARC or the Pro Access Line, as either of those would be able to determine exactly what was wrong and give you your options. I didn't see where they said the repair would definitely cost $350 and, in the case of a cable harness failure, it's free in a vast majority of cases.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by epu View Post
I mean ideally, you'd think these things would work indefinitely, or for a long time. I've had Roland gear and other outboard stuff that is going on 15 years w/o one battery change, one component failure, and I have to move lots of stuff around.

If it isn't a 6085 error, some driver incompatibility, some out of memory error, or now some hardware failure, its always something else. When I had my Digi 001 P4 System, it was just get up and go. Now w/the Digi 002, its always some other problem! I'm debating whether or not to get an 003. Luckily, I have an MBox2 on loan from the school that I teach at lying around.

I'm afraid to spend $350 to send this piece in, because then what happens when I get the dreaded power harness issue. This is unacceptable.
If this is a cable harness issue, it's likely going to be free - call the Pro Access Line where they'll be able to assist you with determining the cause and cost.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:12 PM

My Digi002r caught the power harness "flu" today (I'm 100% sure it's that). Serial number ends with "F". What is my next step?
Best regards
/Ferrante
Helsinki, Finland
Old 08-25-2009, 07:04 AM

I created a case regarding my power harness problem on Avid's online support page on the 18th of August, and I still haven't got any respons. I just would like to know if a week without respons is normal.