Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-24-2018, 10:02 AM

Default Re: No more HD Native PCIe card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I wonder how Apple's announcement that they will start manufacturing their own CPU's will affect things going forward. I still remember how much of a PITA the transition from PowerPC to Intel was. If the new "modular" Mac Pros don't have Intel chips, would that be a deal-breaker for audio software? It would probably take years for all the DAWs and plugin manufactures to re-code all of their products for the new chip architecture. Would they just say "no thanks" as many plugin devs did about HDX?
It would be a video production deal breaker for sure just like the trashcan was.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Still see it available for sale at dealers but it is weird it's been pulled from the Avid website. The dealers would have gotten a notification.

Also not listed on the End of Life list
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-support-dates
It actually is...
HD Native PCIe Final sale date: 4/7/2018
End of support date: 6/30/2023
Old 05-02-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike841 View Post
It actually is...
They updated that list yesterday (May 1) to include. Previously it was not on the list.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike841 View Post
It actually is...
So I guess that means if I want support I will have to use something different than my mid 2010 Mac Pro after 2024

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-17-2018, 07:20 AM

With the advances in technology in the last few years, I would have a hard time investing in AVID hardware today.

The discontinued HD Native PCIe card leaves only Thunderbolt Native and HDX options. I wouldn't be surprised if some new development isn't in the works.

Dante seems to really be gaining ground for third party and even the new AVID MTRX has a Dante connection option.
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:59 PM

Sonnet just came out with this usb c card for old mac pros. There is also a USB C to thunderbolt adapter made by Apple now, really wondering if that would work with the native thunderbolt... most likely not, but maybe Avid is going to come out with a USB C Native box next, would make sense.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/al...usbc-pcie.html
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control
Old 05-21-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post
Sonnet just came out with this usb c card for old mac pros. There is also a USB C to thunderbolt adapter made by Apple now, really wondering if that would work with the native thunderbolt... most likely not, but maybe Avid is going to come out with a USB C Native box next, would make sense.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/al...usbc-pcie.html
USB-C is just a plug that can be and is used by different protocols. Kind of confusing.
The adapter only works for USB-C that is used by a thunderbolt source as in the recent Macbook Pros for example. The Sonnet USB-C card is USB 3.1, not thunderbolt, so this adapter won't help to connect thunderbolt devices to an old Mac Pro.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 05-21-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
USB-C is just a plug that can be and is used by different protocols. Kind of confusing.
The adapter only works for USB-C that is used by a thunderbolt source as in the recent Macbook Pros for example. The Sonnet USB-C card is USB 3.1, not thunderbolt, so this adapter won't help to connect thunderbolt devices to an old Mac Pro.
Are you sure? After looking at his link, I did a search and there are lots of people connecting the UA Apollo Thunderbolt units to USB-C computers and from what they all said it works great.

If that’s accurate, why could MacPro towers with the PCIe card mentioned do it as well?
15 years as PTHD User, Protools 2018 Ultimate, 24 Channel iCon D-Command, Avid Omni, Lynx Aurora 16, (2) BLA Modified 192 I/O’s, DigiPre, Way Too Many Outboard Compressors/EQ’s/ETC, where did all my money go????
Old 05-21-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthas Dream View Post
If that’s accurate, why could MacPro towers with the PCIe card mentioned do it as well?
Who claims that?
I have this card in my MacPro and I use it for fast transfer to external storage drives. That's what it's for. It's not a card that magically gives your computer thunderbolt capabilities. Thunderbolt is wired deep into the architecture and you cannot add that to an old system.

Here's some more elaborate information on this topic from Focusrite:

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 05-22-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthas Dream View Post
Are you sure? After looking at his link, I did a search and there are lots of people connecting the UA Apollo Thunderbolt units to USB-C computers and from what they all said it works great.

I think you're mis-reading this statement:

Got a Thunderbolt connection, but no PCIe slot? The Allegro USB-C PCIe card is ideal for use in any Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 3 to PCIe card expansion chassis, including Sonnet’s Echo Express™ or xMac™ Thunderbolt to PCI Express card expansion systems, offering full performance wherever you install it—now you can add dual USB-C ports in any current Sonnet Thunderbolt chassis.

What they are saying is that you can install their USB-C card in a Thunderbolt to PCIe external chassis.

The PCIe USB-C Sonnet card will not support Thunderbolt connected devices. Thunderbolt PCIe cards have never existed because Intel requires Thunderbolt to be native on the motherboard.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.