Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 PM

Default Should i Join the Union?

I have been mulling over joining the union for the past couple of months.

A little about me. I cut about three features a year doing HD FX, BG and increasing FY for one sound super who has been really good about giving me work here in Los Angeles. These jobs are usually considered Micro budget ($500k - $1m'ish) so not a huge budget when it comes to sound. Luckily I have another gig that does well. I am trying to figure out if it is actually worth it to become a member of the union. I would rathe post something here first and get a unbiased opinion.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Should i Join the Union?

Get all your credits and info you need. Fill out the paperwork.
Then, when you get a union gig, pay the initiation fee.
Being a member of the union, won't get you work.

Living the dream.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Get all your credits and info you need. Fill out the paperwork.
Then, when you get a union gig, pay the initiation fee.
Being a member of the union, won't get you work.
So Henchman, is it worth it or not? i am guessing you would say no from your statment...
Old 05-08-2012, 01:17 PM

No. Not unless you've got a union gig lined up.
I woud still put in the paperwork etc. just so if a good gig comes up, you can say yes, you are in the union.

Living the dream.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
No. Not unless you've got a union gig lined up.
I woud still put in the paperwork etc. just so if a good gig comes up, you can say yes, you are in the union.
Good Advice, Thanks!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myke2242 View Post
So Henchman, is it worth it or not? i am guessing you would say no from your statment...
Well the info is not completely correct. First you need to find out the requirements for the rooster level you are asking, like y-1 for re-recording mixer.

Your work has to fulfill a certain number of hours over two or three years and it has to have screened or aired.

If you meet those, and the union excepts you, you are on the union rooster. You. Don't have to pay any dues yet.
You have to take a few classes and once you have worked 30 union days then you are required to pay the initiation fee (3100 for y-1) plus union dues throu the year.

You can't work a union job if you aren't in the union or on the rooster. So if you were to get called for a union job and not on the rooster they can't hire you.

It's worth being on the rooster if you know you are going to get some decent union work.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
Well the info is not completely correct. First you need to find out the requirements for the rooster level you are asking, like y-1 for re-recording mixer.

Your work has to fulfill a certain number of hours over two or three years and it has to have screened or aired.

If you meet those, and the union excepts you, you are on the union rooster. You. Don't have to pay any dues yet.
You have to take a few classes and once you have worked 30 union days then you are required to pay the initiation fee (3100 for y-1) plus union dues throu the year.

You can't work a union job if you aren't in the union or on the rooster. So if you were to get called for a union job and not on the rooster they can't hire you.

It's worth being on the rooster if you know you are going to get some decent union work.
I do met the requirements to join, that is not a issue. I am sure rooster takes time like everything in life. the dilemma is with all the out of work editors how effective is the rooster going to be... That being said is it cost effective to join?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myke2242 View Post
I do met the requirements to join, that is not a issue. I am sure rooster takes time like everything in life. the dilemma is with all the out of work editors how effective is the rooster going to be... That being said is it cost effective to join?
The rooster does nothing. You will have to get your own work. You will need to provide pay stubs as well.

It is cost effective if you can get work. Once you work 30 union days, you are required to join.

Its a toss up. You can't do union work without getting on the rooster.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:33 PM

Can't a Taft-Hartly apply? Supposed to allow for one-off union gigs without having to join the union. I did it for a one-time AFTRA gig.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
Can't a Taft-Hartly apply? Supposed to allow for one-off union gigs without having to join the union. I did it for a one-time AFTRA gig.
AFTRA and Local 700 are different unions. I don't think so. You'd have to contact Local 700 about that.