Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2013, 02:26 AM

Default Can you use the Focusrite 18i20 Preamp with protools 10 without the mix control?

Hey was wondering if the Focusrite 18i20 lets you disable the mix control software so that all the I/O and routing is done from within Protools 10. I had an MBOX 3 pro that let me disable the software it came with.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Thanks

CoL.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Can you use the Focusrite 18i20 Preamp with protools 10 without the mix control?

Im not familiar with the 18i20 but I know with the sapphire you can preset the software and then in one of the menus you can just save the preset to the hardware, therefore anytime you turn it on it will load that setting... then you dont have to use the software, just open protools and use PT to assign your ins/outs, etc to what your requirements are.

You can probably just use the default setting and never touch the hardware control software... but if you want to setup headphone mixes with no latency (done through the hardware and not coming into and out of Pro Tools) or change the hardware in/out confioguration to your needs, just do this once and save the preset to the hardware, now you dont have to ever touch the software again.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Focusrite

Default Re: Can you use the Focusrite 18i20 Preamp with protools 10 without the mix control?

You most certainly can set the 18i20 so that your output routing and monitoring of inputs take place in ProTools. There is a routing preset in MixControl called 'Mixing' that will take care of this. All you need to do is open MixControl, select the routing preset name 'Mixing' and then go to the File menu and select Save to Hardware. After doing that, you will not need to open Mixcontrol again, unless you wish to change the configuration.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:51 PM

Ah, Good to know!
Old 11-22-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Focusrite View Post
You most certainly can set the 18i20 so that your output routing and monitoring of inputs take place in ProTools. There is a routing preset in MixControl called 'Mixing' that will take care of this. All you need to do is open MixControl, select the routing preset name 'Mixing' and then go to the File menu and select Save to Hardware. After doing that, you will not need to open Mixcontrol again, unless you wish to change the configuration.
Thanks a lot buddy!

I was wondering how to send cue sends to my talent in the vocal room as i do not want to use the mix control can i do this by just connecting a TRS into line output 5/6 (either one) and route this in protools as CUE sends? Please advice me on how to go about setting up cue sends for the talent in the booth. through the Focusrite 18i20.

Cheers

CoL.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:06 PM

I have used the Focusrite 18i20 since the day it came out.
I have two presets saved in the Scarlett MixControl, Mix and Tracking.
For tracking headphones, assign stereo outputs from the sends of each channel in Pro Tools, make them actual outputs, not busses. I use 7&8 for the first headphone jack (Drummer) and output 9&10 for the second headphone jack (Band). Across the top are tabs. In the first 4 squares below them, I assign DAW3, DAW4, DAW5, and DAW6. The first tab I have named Drummer, with the faders at 0 and panned hard left and right, The second tab is named Band, if I click on it, the faders are also at 0 and panned L&R. Near the bottom of the Scarlett software, there are 4 rows of 4 outputs. The second row has headphone icons. I assign these four outputs to Mixes - Drummer (L), Mixes - Drummer (R), Mixes - Band (L), and Mixes - Band (R).The very far-right fader has two rectangles at the top. They are assigned to Analog Out 7&8 if the Drummer tab is selected, and Analog Out 9&10 if the Band tab is selected and the fader is at 0.
There are simpler and more complicated ways to do this, but it works great for me and might be a good starting point.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 AM

Hey thanks a lot buddy, much appreciated.

Cheers

CoL.