Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2017, 11:43 AM

Default Possible Pro Tools 10 Higher CPU Usage?

Hello everyone,

I still use Pro Tools 10 on my Toshiba Satellite S75DT-A7330. It does well for what I need it to do.

Recently I had to replace my HDD with a SanDisk SSD (SDSSDA-120G-G26)

I performed a clean install of Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB. Which I have been using this before with my current setup.

Since using the new SSD, performance wise my laptop has been way better.

With Pro Tools however, it seems like my CPU usage has went up just a few %

I am not sure why, I am using all of the same settings as before, I have optimized my Windows as well, the same as before.

Pro Tools still runs fine but now am getting a few clicks and pops at the 64 buffer size with the same project that I used before.

I figured with an SSD I would see Pro Tools perform a little bit better. But it seems a little worse.

I am also using all of the same windows Programs as before, have updates disabled, unnecessary services/tasks disabled, a very bare bones setup, just like before.

I have reinstalled Pro Tools as well with still the same results.

If I'm not able not resolve this, I'll have to use Reaper to record my vocals at 64 buffer size then do the rest in Pro Tools.

I understand Pro Tools 10 is not supported with Win10 but it still works fine.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Here are some additional system specs:

Toshiba Satellite S75DT-A7330

APU: AMD Quad-Core A10-5750M Accelerated Processor with AMD
Radeon™ HD 8650G Graphics 2.5GHz (3.5 GHz with AMD Turbo Core Technology 3.0, 4MB L2 Cache)

RAM: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz

Audio Interface: Behringer UMC204HD

SanDisk SDSSDA-120G-G26 SSD
Old 03-23-2017, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Possible Pro Tools 10 Higher CPU Usage?

Don't know but it might be because of AMD processor
Old 03-23-2017, 12:05 PM

Yeah it could be. Like I said it still works fine just seems a littler higher now. Only thing that has changed is the SSD, could the SSD cause this?
Old 03-23-2017, 02:10 PM

I did have A LOT of issues on my AMD system with PT10.
I spent over 12 hours across multiple days working with Avid tech support (used my free support code I got when I bought PT10) they changed all kinds of settings and **** via remote access and I am not kidding, that guy spend over 12 hours tweaking my system.
So you might have some issues there.
However on my new system (listed on profile) I switched to Intel with a samsung SSD and was having CPU issues.
I set PT10 to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode and boom ALL issues solved.
Hopefully it's that simple for you.
Last piece of advice, get a Mac...
I am on a $3000 PC and it still does not work like a Mac would.
The studio I am interning at bought a Mac used for $1000 and it runs PT10 HD and runs like a dream compared to my system.
I know that advice doesn't solve your issue right this minute but it will prevent ALOT of issues in the future I think
Old 03-23-2017, 03:23 PM

I tried running it as Windows 7 that didn't do anything. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Pro Tools is very interesting compared to other DAW's. One little thing can make it go haywire on Windows.

You can see a post I made about year ago on a brand new laptop that I sent back, it was having an issue where it was unusable. It would play very distorted sounds at any buffer size/sample rate.

On my old and current laptop this happened shortly after, after doing some searching for weeks, I found that iTunes was causing this. iTunes wasn't even running or any services associated. Just the fact that it was installed was causing this. Which was strange because it never did this before with it installed.

Once I uninstalled iTunes it worked 100%

But anyway back to the issue here, I am going to try another clean install but this time a older version of Windows 10, one before the anniversary update and not update it. Because with that setup I went over a year with no problems.

Maybe that can fix this... I'll let you guys know if that helps.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 AM

Hey guys thanks for your suggestions and help.

Although I am not 100% sure of what exactly was causing this but I can say that it is now fixed.

It was running at 25-27& CPU Usage earlier but now it is back at 14-15% with the same project at the 64 buffer size.

In my opinion I think it had something to do with the anniversary update of Windows 10, or an update that was done recently.

I installed a version of Windows 10 LTSB from 2015 and turned off the updates upon install.

Everything seems good now.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:57 PM

For the ones with issues - are you using a separate drive to record to? I know at least the op says he disabled unnecessary stuff and that's good as Toshiba's have an excessive amount of junk running on them. I know because I used to run a Toshiba Satellite 1955 laptop and had a bunch of stuff to disable. Running WinXP I whittled it down so that Windows itself only took up a little over 100 meg.

QAPLA!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
For the ones with issues - are you using a separate drive to record to? I know at least the op says he disabled unnecessary stuff and that's good as Toshiba's have an excessive amount of junk running on them. I know because I used to run a Toshiba Satellite 1955 laptop and had a bunch of stuff to disable. Running WinXP I whittled it down so that Windows itself only took up a little over 100 meg.
He does make a good point. Going back to what I was saying about that tech support remote accessing everything, I know that guy removed virtually ALL bloat ware that Windows puts on your system. I've always used self built systems so I havent had to worry about bloat ware from Toshiba, Dell, ect.

I will say though I am on the most current version of windows 10 using PT 10.3.1 and I have no issues.