Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 PM

Default "Normal" compression for vocals on pop or rock song?

Hi, excuse the ignorance, but does any know what the "normal" compression would be on lead vocals on a pop or rock song? I realize it could be a range, but I assume there is a sweet spot for male vocals.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:01 PM

Default Re: "Normal" compression for vocals on pop or rock song?

You really need to let your ears guide you on this but a starting point might be 4:1 with the threshold set for 3-5db of reduction with attack set moderate to fast. If that doesn't even out the levels, you could either add a second compressor(higher ratio, higher threshold) or use the Audiosuite GAIN plugin to increase the levels of the softest words and phrases, or lower the loudest ones if there are only a few(this takes longer than slapping heavy compression on the track, but it will sound better).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-06-2009, 10:06 AM

Start with the vocal presets provided by your plug-ins. Those settings are always a good place to start. Then tweak to taste.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the tips. The reason I asked was I was wondering what the pros do, as a general rule, to get a "radio" sound, to get the vocal to "leap out" of the mix. I'm trying to figure out how to get that "polished" sound. I'm sure it's the fine balance of compression, EQ, chorus/reverb/delay, etc. It would be nice if there was a plug-in that combined all these things so I wouldn't have to work so hard.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:59 AM

Don't forget that the "radio sound" is not all the recording as radio stations have limiters that they slam pretty hard so their broadcast is as loud as possible without pissing off the FCC.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-07-2009, 11:16 AM

The loudest vocals on the radio are generally recorded using no limiting or compression by a performer having incredible chops for "working" the mike to minimize peaks.

All limiting and compression introduces distortion which causes a broadcast processor to turn the gain down more than it will for undistorted audio.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teslow View Post
Hi, excuse the ignorance, but does any know what the "normal" compression would be on lead vocals on a pop or rock song? I realize it could be a range, but I assume there is a sweet spot for male vocals.
May I suggest that you get yourself a couple of good books on recording techniques or even one specifically on compressors such as:

"Compressors, Limiters, Expanders & Gates" By Bill Gibson... cheap and available and covers all the basics one of the clearest in my library.

While I agree with Bob Olhsson that distortion is introduced, the artful and sometimes extreme use of compression is a fact of our music. To illustrate the good use of distortion listen to some of Adele's stuff. In the best sense the compression used creates a very warm intimate sound with a talented and expressive singer. Yes her voice is unique but IMO the sound of that recording represents a very creative use of compression. It sounds to me like tube compression since in its' extreme use on her record it is almost dirty and def distorted... too much on a few tracks for my taste.

I agree with others that you should start with conservative settings around 4:1 and build from there, the book I refered you to explains this ratio concept very well. Most of the "hot" mixers are running chains of devices that each add a little bit along the way.

As part of the chain many people record with a bit of compression, with some devices creating color and some just cleanly controlling levels...and I'm one of those people. There is also the concept of using bus compression in addition to or in place of track compression.

And on and on it goes, but count me as one of those who loves compression, and the art and science of its' use!

Wilson
Old 02-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teslow View Post
My 2 cents.

To get that in your face pop radio voice, you need to use compression, and lots of it - even with a good singer. But that's just the beginning. Once you have it adequately eq'd and compressed, you'll want to subtley apply other effects, such as doublers and harmonic exciters. They can give the vocals much more presence, with a natural or unnatural sound, depending on your preference. The more doubler and/or exciter, the less natural it sounds.

The effects should not be applied to the source track, but used in aux tracks with sends from the souce track. This will give yoiu greater control over blending them in with the main source track.

Another technique (you can do in addition to doublers/exciters) to is to produce a stereo flange track on the vocal and again, mix it subltey in with the main (dry) vocals via aux sends.

Sprinkle in some reverb to smooth it out and you can get a pretty 'in your face' vocal. Of course, you don't want the vocal to pop out of the mix. It still needs to sound like the vocalist is singing with the band, and not standing next to a radio, singing alone.

Applying effects like this can give the vocals a lot of presence, without excessive volume. You don't want excessive volume, or they won't blend into the mix.

As for the compressor, make sure the threshold is low enough to even out the peaks. Once you see the compressor compressing, drop the threshold another 4-6 db then compansate with either the compressor gain or just turn the track up louder.

Start with a 4:1 ratio, maybe try as high as 10:1. Fast attack and release produce distotion so play around with them. Their settings depend very much on the source material, but a good starting point is 10ms attack, 100ms release.

Hope this helps.

Don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=851389
Old 02-09-2009, 07:40 AM

Hi !

I like mix mixes but im having hard time trying to get that airy quality and articulated vocal mix that you united states people get so easy
I mean a voal track that have a lot of air , h and s letters and whispers !
I know it can be done with my tracks because after mastering proccess i heard that effect on it .
But i can get as much as posible on my mixes before mastering .

Heres an example :

http://users.choicecable.net/jeam25/marchate.mp3

Thanks !
Old 02-09-2009, 01:14 PM

Well, I've heard some mastered work that doesn't sound as good and clear as that.

Nice work!
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!