Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 10:41 AM

Default How to make a double-time click?

Does anyone have an easy way to generate an eighth note click without changing the metering? I'm not dealing with a steady tempo and meter but lots of changes, as comes with film music. Obviously, I need it to follow the already complex tempo/meter map.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: How to make a double-time click?

use a delay plugin and it'll follow the map. automate it when you need to change notes.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:54 AM

That's clever. Thanks, dmazurek.

On a simple session, I could change the designation of each tempo change to a different note value, but that's impossible on some of these hairy ones.

I'll try it.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:21 PM

chose the note value in the pop up menu in transport. chose a 1/8 instead of a 1/4. thats the real way to do it.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:23 PM

delay will work in most cases but it also depends on how extreme the time changes are. The delay that follow will always be at the tempo it came from previous so it may sem like the like rushes or drags sometimes. Id hace something like Reason follow via rewire with a simple click you come up with. Since it is midi based it will follow tempo changes correctly
Old 02-04-2005, 01:24 PM

Go to MIDI > change meter, there's a 'click' setting: you can choose values between whole notes and sixteenths. Oddly, I can get accents only on downbeats, if somebody knows how to accent every quarter note, chime in.

R.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:12 PM

All great responses. I don't think the Transport trick works for me because I'm using the conductor at all times. I noticed that the Change Tempo window does have a "click" note-value menu but that also seems to affect the overall bar counts as well. Gotta RTFM I suppose.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:22 AM

Note: in the Change Tempo window you select the resolution (and it affects the bar count); but it's in the Change Meter window where you can change the Click value, and that doesn't affect the bar count.

R.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:04 AM

Quote:
thats the real way to do it.
if it works then it's real buddy.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Note: in the Change Tempo window you select the resolution (and it affects the bar count); but it's in the Change Meter window where you can change the Click value, and that doesn't affect the bar count.

R.
Just sussed that out. At least there will always be fewer meter changes than tempo changes in my world anyway. Though it would be great to have a global setting that would interpret meter changes in a meaningful way. For example, going from 4/4 into 12/16 and just seeing the fact that a 16th note gets one beat equates to "a 16th note gets one click". Quarter-note click into sixteenth-note click. I suppose there are no hard and fast rules for this.