Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2004, 05:19 PM

Default OT... I need an Gibson LP

friends, the time has come(as the walrus says in Alice and Wonderland).
I need another, a new, and a true guitar.
I need a gibson Les Paul Standard or Classic. I hate buying Guitars over the internet, but the nearest guitar stores around me either carry:
A: Three Les Pauls to choose from,
or
B: LTD brand Quasi-Guitar Les Paul Wannabes.

Anyone on here have an LP they'd like to sell? or perhaps know of a good online retailer for them?

Old 02-18-2004, 05:26 PM

Default Re: OT... I need an Gibson LP

I have a Gibson SG at the moment, I've had a few Les Pauls as well though...I wouldnt recommend an online seller unless its new, you should really know exactly what you want when getting a good guitar like that. What version are you thinking of, Standard, Studio, Custom, Special? Each has a different feel to them. I also really like the LTD quasi-Les Paul, sounds great!!! Of course theres nothing quite like the real deal, but for up to 1000 dollars less, its well worth it...my 2 cents.
evan
Old 02-18-2004, 05:30 PM

well, like I said, either a standard or a classic.

Ive had my share of cheaper guitars, and im not bagging on the quality at all, its just, I want something I can...savor. for lack of a better word.

Ive gone through Epiphone LP's, Hamer LP double cut-away wannabes(one of my better guitars actually), various fender-type electrics, and I just finally want a nice LP or PRS(but those are a bit up there $$$).

Old 02-18-2004, 05:48 PM

Quote:
well, like I said, either a standard or a classic.
oops, must not have caught that
standards and classics are all pretty much the same price new it seems, sometimes Sam Ash or guitarcenter has a good deal on them, but from my knowledge they're all around the same price...

good luck!
evan
Old 02-18-2004, 06:28 PM

If you get the chance, try a Gibson Nighthawk, much more versatile than a Les Paul. I've got one and there's not many occasions where it can't produce a suitable tone, from heavy rock to jazz to honky-tonk. Les Pauls are more of a one-trick pony, and you've got to drop about $1200 to get one that really does that one trick right, while Nighthawks are extremely undervalued at around $500-700 on used market (only made from '93-98), and the quality of woods, hardware, tone, feel, and playability are easily on par with a high-end LP.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:03 PM

There are many good guitars out there but since I picked up my LP standard this summer I haven't looked back. Everything I play sounds better. It plays nice. And I feel like I'm holding a piece of Rock n Roll history which works on a subconcious level.

I stayed away from the classic for 2 (silly) reasons. Anything named "Classic"- isn't. And the standard has Burstbucker pro pickups which sounded clearer to me.

Its a beautiful guitar.

-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 02-18-2004, 07:44 PM

I've got 3 Historic Les Pauls
2000 Historic '59 Cherry Sunburst
2001 Historic '58 Honey Burst
2003 historic '57 Goldtop/Dark Back

I went on a binge last year, now I can't decide which one to keep. One of these days, I'll probably just put them all on Ebay, and stop the third auction after two sell.

I can't really decide, they're all really nice. Each has its own character.

I'm a Tele player, but sometimes I take a little side trip.

Old 02-18-2004, 09:17 PM

I work at a music store I’ll check tomorrow and see if we have any used Standards or Classics in. Have you checked out the Gibson Supreme? We just got one in and it’s by far the nicest Gibson I’ve seen (and I’ve seen a lot). Amazing flame carved top and a matching carved flame back! This things got gold frets and it’s not even a Custom shop piece. Made me drool and I’m not even a guitar player

Lief Stevens
http://www.orangekrushband.com/
Old 02-19-2004, 02:15 AM

Hey Jester i appreciat that a lot.

About the Gibson Nighthawk, I did in fact almost pick one of those up a few years ago, but for some reason I didnt. I do like the look though.

Id say my limit of expenditure is about $1500.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:24 PM

I have a Cherry Sunburst 1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard and it sounds and plays like a dream. I know what you mean about the feeling you get when you play it. There *is* something either subconscious or overt about playing one. I used to think that people who say certain equipment makes them play better were full of BS, but I gotta say that my LP does seem to bring out the best in my playing. Good luck in your search. I bought mine used in 1980 and it still has all the original hardware.