Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2001, 10:57 AM

Default Re: \"Why I\'m glad ProTools is expensive\"- An essay

Well put.
Old 03-09-2001, 11:08 AM

This all started with ADAT's. The relatively inexpensive cost to get some relatively good audio equipment has put this equipment into the hands of the relatively untalented. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against the accesability of this stuff to anyone who wants it. I just want people to understand their limits. There will always be a need for a truly talented engineer to get EXCELLENT results. That being said, I would rather have an excellent enginner mix something on a 001 than a not so excellent engineer mix something on a full blown TDM system. Now if the excellent engineer can mix on the full blown TDM system, all the better. My main concern is that people are buying this stuff and not realizing their own lack of talent or limits. There's a lot of garbage out there. There's some good stuff too.

[This message has been edited by blairl (edited March 09, 2001).]
Old 03-09-2001, 11:10 AM

...then let them eat cake!!!

I wonder how many TDM systems were actually paid for by a "person" vs a corporation.

The $80 bread machine my wife uses won't do what a "pro" bread machine will do, but it's certainly good enough for our purposes.

Random, probably useless thoughts...

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 03-09-2001, 11:13 AM

I'd agree with the essay for the most part.
I'm one of those guys that has been a musician all my life (starving artist), a single parent of a 7 year old girl, construction worker goes to owning my own constuction company, to being able to afford one of the greatest tools in the industry. I'm glad that it is at the price point now. I didn't think of owning a pro studio 10 years ago. Just high enough to make someone dedicated to a goal. When you put alot into anything you do, even with monies, you set a higher standard for yourself and your world around you. I took psycology in college . But seriously, I'd be the last one you would think that could afford the nice studio I have, if there is a will there is a way. I started with 4 tracks, VS 880, 001, and wanted the best to give to my costermers and myself. TDM is perfect for me. I can very well with it.
Victoms, everone wants something for nothing, it's called survival of the fitest or LIFE.

[This message has been edited by ZEALOUS (edited March 09, 2001).]
Old 03-09-2001, 01:29 PM

about the music-market !!!

who´s still thinking that the music industry creates the market is out of " tune " !!!
can u imagine they put the new michael jackson album out and nobody would buy it ...
what will they do , market analyses , if we dont buy it they are FU..ED !!!
see it from that spot and a lot of things can change ,

burn damn NSYNC , put PINK FLOYD on again !!!

although , they sound still awesome without having a " PRO TOOLS "

get real again , or do we really need the " songwriter TDM " plugin ??? cause its markteable ???

REVOLUTION ... too much smoke around
Old 03-09-2001, 02:23 PM

This is sad!

What a frivolous post!

It's like saying I'm glad the Price of Gas has gone up it will keep the A•S•S holes off the road!

------------------
[email protected]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Long Live Nubus and TI<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 03-09-2001, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NuBus:
This is sad!

What a frivolous post!

It's like saying I'm glad the Price of Gas has gone up it will keep the A•S•S holes off the road!
I like that one NuBus! Well said.

Regards

e

Old 03-09-2001, 04:27 PM

That this thread is awarded the term controversial is testimony that we are not business-minded people. Fisherking is espousing straight-forward Capitalism 101 principle, in my view. It's just that we're a bunch of pot-inhaling artisans who insist upon a greater cause, possibly at our own expense. We're uncomfortabe admitting to this process. Marketing advantage associated with upper-price product and service is pedestrian thinking for a first year student at Wharton. The term "high-end" is probably in the dictionary now. Owners of Bentley dealerships, and restauranteurs of $100 pri-fix menus, loose litte sleep over the concept that their elitism actually creates a market niche for them (even if it alienates some customers they's gain at a less ambitious price point).

Get over it. It's why some of us own this gear too. In my opinion, of course.

John Caldwell

[This message has been edited by Mount Royal (edited March 09, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mount Royal (edited March 09, 2001).]
Old 03-09-2001, 10:04 PM

I've got the money to buy a Pro Control but won't do it cause I really don't need it. Since I don't really need it, I consider it too expensive for my needs. In fact, if it were cheaper, I'd go out and buy enuff faders for 24 tracks. I don't need it, but it would be a pleasant luxury...
My point is, I believe Digi would sell more units if they lowered their prices, create a larger user base and their popularity would blossom. They would indeed, set a universal standard.
Ahh, but this a dilemma with all kingdoms. Should we stay small and manageable or should we rule the world?
They're a funny lot, this Digi company...on the one hand they appear greedy and on the other, they lend an air of distinction to its users. Sort of a special club only its owners can belong to...
Yes, we pay a high premium for using this product...to bask in its warmth, but we also are its partners...
I say it's best to go mainstream and grow larger...lower prices to accomodate all levels of users and create a new spark of interest so as to become the Photoshop of Digital music. Then we will really have a future ahead of us...
Old 03-09-2001, 10:39 PM

"I was recently informed that quite a large number of Americans remain illiterate, a fact I initially considered good news. Once people are taught to read, I reasoned, in a flash the wealthy and powerful will find their severed heads atop pikes!" - T. Herman Zweibel