Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2009, 11:05 AM

Default "Input Monitor" Trick in LE

Hey everyone, I discovered a way to use a type of Track Input Monitoring (only a PTHD feature) in LE.

For example, I'm tuning vocals but only "punching in" wrong notes with Autotune. In HD you would route one Mono Audio track with only Autotune and duplicate media through a Mono Bus into another Mono Audio track with the original vocal take. The second track would be in Record and Input Monitor mode so you could listen to the tuning and only actually keep what you punched in.

However, in LE, you can only hear track routing like this when the second track is actually recording audio... that's not a very good way to tune a vocal. So say if the tracks are bussed through Bus 10 (or whatever), create a Mono Aux Input track, Solo Safe (command-click the solo button), and set its input to Bus 10 as well. Then mute the track in Record mode so all you hear is the Autotune track thru the Aux Input, but you're punching in to the second audio track.

This helped me a TON.... hope it can help you! I suppose this trick can be used for any situation when the HD Input Monitor feature would normally be used....

-Mike
Old 06-10-2009, 02:06 PM

Default Re: "Input Monitor" Trick in LE

The I button was apparently going to be in the native editions of v.8 and got yanked at the last second. I guess it's a latency thing...it wouldn't work very well with the longer latencies, and the 2626 for instance wouldn't want it vs. the low-latency mixer.

Which btw I think means your trick won't work with low-latency monitoring mode on the 003.

I and others have requested a "Track Only" monitoring mode, which would complete the set of Input Only and Auto. Track Only would mean you would monitor live signal outside the DAW, at zero latency, while still hearing the recorded audio on either side of your punch-in. That would be an easy thing to implement and a huge win for the native line.

Of course we're not supposed to have huge wins for the native line.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Default Re: "Input Monitor" Trick in LE

interesting method. Would it not be faster to use the Audiosuite version of Autotune and simply process the parts that need it? BTW, since getting Melodyne, I rarely even use Autotune.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 06-13-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: more info to confuse and confound