Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-13-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation in RED?

Quote:
Aha, I did as Stig suggested and found the culprit. . . L3 on the sole master fader in the session. When the L3 is deactivated, delay comp appears as normal. Now, I use an L3 on the master fader on virtually every session, so still not sure why in this case it's causing a problem.
Instead of deactivating the L3 on your master fader, simply de-activate ADC on the master channel on which it resides. Since the latter is your final step (everything is already mixed by this point) there’s no real need for delay compensation at this stage.

Quote:
[…] there are probably about 7-8 stereo auxes running, some of which are running aux-> aux (i.e. Lead Vox bussed to aux 1-2, BV's bussed to aux 3-4, BOTH of those bussed to an All Vox aux 5-6 which is then bussed to analog via the master fader), …
That’s what I’m talking about — “nested” Auxes. Their delay is cumulative, easily leading to a situation such as the one you described. (Although we now know that in this particular case it was the L3 on the Master fader.) Just one more thing to keep in mind while trying to be creative.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Aha, I did as Stig suggested and found the culprit. . . L3 on the sole master fader in the session. When the L3 is deactivated, delay comp appears as normal. Now, I use an L3 on the master fader on virtually every session, so still not sure why in this case it's causing a problem.
Instead of deactivating the L3 on your master fader, simply de-activate ADC on the master channel on which it resides. Since the latter is your final step (everything is already mixed by this point) there’s no real need for delay compensation at this stage.
Understood, but I BELIEVE compensation is always on on a master fader. Typically, on the master fader with an L3 or similar PT will report a delay of 3500 samples (e.g.), but compensation of 0. I'm guessing master faders are designed to behave this way for just the reason you described.

Your point regarding "nested" auxes is also well taken. Still, I find it hard to go beyond the "long" delay compensation setting (4000 samples or so) during normal mixing. RTAS plug ins, depending on where they sit, definitely make it more problematic, but as I said, in this case, it was all TDM plugs.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Understood, but I BELIEVE compensation is always on on a master fader. Typically, on the master fader with an L3 or similar PT will report a delay of 3500 samples (e.g.), but compensation of 0. I'm guessing master faders are designed to behave this way for just the reason you described.
Unless you have a specific need for the plug-ins strapped across your mixed final output to operate pre-fader, just create an Aux for the final path (the very same currently controlled by your Master Fader). Then move the plug-ins currently residing on the Master to the Aux. Lastly, disable the compensation on the Aux.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 06-13-2007, 04:53 PM

I mis-typed in my previous post. I meant to say I believe delay compensation is always OFF on a master fader. i.e. delay reported on the master fader is 3000 samples or so, but compensation is 0.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:49 PM

Can I ask a few related questions that I can't seem to figure out from the manual:

1) What's the difference between deactivating compensation (control-command clicking the compensated value) and deactivating the reported delay value on a track? And why is it that you can only deactivate one or the other, but not both?

2) What does BLUE mean: ie, when you are bussing multiple tracks to multiple audio tracks (ie, to print stems), when the audio tracks are armed, the compensation value turns blue, and if you don't then deactivate that blue compensation field, then audio is printed out of sync on the audio tracks. I don't get it? I accept it and workaround it, but I don't get it.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2007, 05:00 AM

1a) If you bypass the reported delay on a track this delay is left out of the equation when PT aligns the audio output of all tracks. So this track would now be delay compensated by the largest reported delay in the session, but its own delay will not affect the session.

1b) If you bypass the delay compensation on this track it will not be compensated by any delays at all in the session.

1c) It really doesn't make any sense (to me at least) to bypass both the reported track delay and the track delay compensation. If you have a plugin that reports a delay that's incorrect you simply bypass the report and type in a user delay instead.
If you could bypass both it would lead to a scenario where this track didn't report its own delay, and it wouldn't be aligned with the other tracks in the session.

2) They turn blue? Haven't seen it - must read up on that one. I have heard that stems have been wildly out of sync during printing, but synced as normal after printing when playing back. Could be what you're talking about.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:51 AM

Blue (Audio Tracks Only) Indicates that Delay
Compensation is force-enabled on the track. When
the track is record-enabled or TrackInput-enabled,
Delay Compensation is not suspended and remains
enabled.

To override Low Latency Monitoring During
Recording on specific record tracks:
Command-Control-click (Mac) or Control-
Start-click (Windows) the Track Compensation
indicator. Delay Compensations is applied to
the track and the Track Compensation indicator
displays in blue.
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr

Last edited by chrismeraz; 06-24-2020 at 01:08 AM.