At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Plans for VST Adapter Support in Pro Tools 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange View Post
Your point is noted Shan - I was just using Variety of Sound VST plugs a few moments ago. They were wrapped in Metaplugin.

Metaplugin was $39, but Bootsy's offerings are (amazingly) free.

VOS only offers VST - no RTAS or AAX support.

But, perhaps a solution lies in Avid waiving the annual fee for freeware developers? But then, what happens to overall quality of the AAX plug marketplace?
I like your idea of a conditional wavering. A draft should perhaps be pitched towards both Avid and Pace. Traditionally, plug-in quality control is/was done via applying for the SDK. To my knowledge, and from what I've read posted on the forum by Avid over the many years, this is why the SDK isn't freely available to download.

As a side not, VOS is a fine example of top notch freeware plug-ins that I wouldn't mind seeing as AAX, or an easier way to get them hosted in PT.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-05-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Traditionally, plug-in quality control is/was done via applying for the SDK. To my knowledge, and from what I've read posted on the forum by Avid over the many years, this is why the SDK isn't freely available to download.

As far as I understand it, that's not so much a case of Q.C. for any specific plug-ins, but of the developer themselves.

Much like a job interview, it's a process of elimination, ensuring that any potential developer meets a minimum standard determined by Avid, has the relevant experience in the field, and is capable of supporting their product at a professional level in to the future.

Given that Avid fosters close relationships with their development partners, offering support, "developer builds" of Pro Tools, organises developer "kitchens", and can offer gratis complete Pro Tools HDX systems to their development partners, it makes a lot of sense for them to not waste resources on every chancer who fancies taking a punt at writing a plug-in or two.

There's no charge for the SDK (assuming you qualify / pass muster), the only charge is for the developer's PACE signature - a fee which is levied by PACE, not Avid.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 AM

My impression is that the Pace signature can't possibly be optional for it to be capable of protecting plug-in developers which AFAIK is the whole point of requiring it. Protecting developers is a great way to encourage serious investment in innovation.

I suspect small developers could form alliances that share the cost of a signature although it might involve sending their plug-in code to be compiled on a single computer.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post

I suspect small developers could form alliances that share the cost of a signature although it might involve sending their plug-in code to be compiled on a single computer.

Not sure that it would require compiling on a single nominated computer, but it would mean that developers submitting plug-ins within the alliance, would have to do so under a single brand identity (and perhaps establish a nominal C.E.O.).

That's an important distinction from plugin-alliance, which is effectively a union of several distinct brands, each of which requiring their own PACE signature.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:12 PM

I doubt that it has anything to do with brand or anything else outside of simply a traceable source of any code modifications.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I doubt that it has anything to do with brand or anything else outside of simply a traceable source of any code modifications.
... simply a traceable source of any code modifications.

And those of us who do maintenance on any type of existing computer code would also love to have that...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-19-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
...but the annual $500 fee puts a full stop to offering any free/donation/charityware to the community. It could potentially hinder new plug-in development and innovations specific to the PT platform...
+1 - completely true. But then again, "Avid hate the people", so it's kind of normal to them.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepop View Post
But then again, "Avid hate the people", so it's kind of normal to them.
I beg your pardon?