Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-15-1999, 09:50 AM

Default general slowness

Hello.

B&W G3, bit 3 expansion, PT 24 Mix Plus, ixmicro and stock video, 2 glyph 9GB on atto express, AD-8000, 888.

All of a sudden I have been experiencing slowness in PT, such as that old delay in release from solo, or in soloing in the first place, a longer time to quit (fingers tap for 30 secs), sluggish meters (sometimes). My IT guy recommends a clean OS install. Is there something else I can do first? DAE buffer settings? Spread audio across disks? (I don't usually have more than 16 tracks, and it has done fine with many more than that in the past).

Thoughts? Or do I really need a clean install?

-adam
Old 11-16-1999, 02:01 PM

Default Re: general slowness

Hey
Everytime I start to notice a little more time with the fingers, I will do a disk optimize of my glyphs and also a scandisk using Norton. I do a complete back up and remove what I don't need and the problem usually goes away. I am running 16-24 tracks all the time and I do this routine once everyother week at least.

Hope this helps
Mark
Old 11-16-1999, 03:17 PM

Adam

I would rebuild the desktop and zap PRAM before performing a clean install though in your case the system may require it.

Disk cashe at 512k
Colors and monitors at 256
RAM check 2.1
Trash preferences
Drag and drop a new Pro Tools application from the CDROM replacing the old application
Any backward K plug-ins installed?

Brad
Old 11-17-1999, 12:17 AM

anyone?
Old 11-17-1999, 02:39 PM

Adam

RAM check 2.1 is s software utility that checks the system and application heap RAM in your CPU and we have this utility posted on the Digidesign web site at:
www.digidesign.com/serv/ftpmaps/index

With the B&W G3 and a ATTO card the ATTO SCSI card needs firmware v1.3.5 for compatibility with the G3 B&W or higher and is known to cause 9073 error with more than 14 tracks. this also could be caused by too much traffic on the PCI bus. Here's a method to adjust the throughput:

1) Launch ExpressProtoolsPCI.
2) Switch the Busses & Drives menu on Busses & Devices (1st left Window)
3) Select the Drive connected on the ATTO Bus and click on the Information button on the right of the drive.
4) At the bottom right of the window, switch the Sync Rate 10 MB.
5) Repeat steps 3 & 4 for each drive connected on the ATTO Card.
6) Quit the application, saving the configuration.

Rebuilding the desktop file or zapping pram wouldn't do anything to the drives and 9073 error's(if everything checks out from the ablove comments) are generally drive to slow errors which usually can be taken care of by optimizing your drives or better yet reinitializing your drives with FWB Hard Disk Tool Kit which replaces the drivers, bit volume maps, and directories. Also check termination, cabling, DAE playback buffer setting set to 2, check SCSI length, bounce tracks with dense automation/edits.

Also make sure your memory setting are as follows. Pro Tools preferred memory should be set to @35-45k. DAE preferred memory should be set to @35k-60+k. Pro Tools and DAE minimum memory setting should be left at it's default. You can confirm this by entering a zero into the minimum field and pressing enter on the keyboard, this will default the minimum memory setting. DAE's playback buffer size (Finder/DAE/File Menu/Set Playback Buffer Size) should be set to what hardware you own. In your case #2. The cashe setting in the memory control panel should be set to 512k or lower.

Make sure you disable any third party applications that are running in the background...Norton crash guard, Disk Light, Virus software ect ect

Rebuilding the desktop wouldn't hurt either.

Brad
Old 11-18-1999, 12:35 AM

Hi.

flashed the pram and rebuilt the desktop. Now I have this lag on a large session (24+ tracks) of a second or so to start and stop playback. I have RAM coming out my wazoo - should I give dae and/or Protools as much as I can afford (could be 100+MB each)?

What do you mean by "ram check 2.1"?

Otherwise looks like a clean install.

-adam
Old 11-18-1999, 12:47 AM

Add -9073 errors to the list. Looks like the pram and desktop rebuilds made it worse. Did those do anything to my glyphs? The new errors appear to be errors srrounding accessing data from the drives.

Please help soon.

-adam
Old 11-18-1999, 07:46 AM

OK.

I have a clean OS and I am following up on all of Brad's recommendations. Two quick questions:

- the link for the ram check was not found (fyi)

- should I be using a certain driver on my hard disk or glyphs? I think they are all using Hard Disk Tol Kit's 3.0.2 drivers. Any digi-approved recommendations there?

Thanks. back to work I hope.

-adam
Old 11-18-1999, 03:14 PM

Adam

Sorry about the URL. If it doesn't work always look in the Digidesign Service and Support software downloads. RAM check is kept in the Utilities folder.
www.digidesign.com/serv/ftpmaps

You should be using FWB Hard Disk Tool Kit v3.0.2

Brad

[This message has been edited by TechSupt2 (edited 11-18-99).]
Old 11-18-1999, 06:14 PM

Hey Adam -
If the problem seems to happen on solos or mutes try turning off mute frees voices. Also make sure your DAE buffer is on 2.

Good Luck