Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Mixing help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therese View Post
Hi
I thought I should update with the last song that has been made with the help of RiF, if any one has any comments I would be glad to hear them

It is my first mix of a happy-song

Here is the link, just press the play-button on the page

http://nrk.no/urort/Laat/338049/default.aspx

Therese
Reminds me of Dylan. Very nice Therese. Glad to see you and Rif are still doing work together. You guys make a good team.
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 01-22-2011, 01:07 AM

And to give the credits to the right person: Therese mixed this song by herself.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha]-[acksaw View Post
Reminds me of Dylan. Very nice Therese. Glad to see you and Rif are still doing work together. You guys make a good team.
Thank you, really nice thing to say

I thought it was fun to make something different, and for once something different than all these sad songs I have been making

RiF has been great, good to get some help. I edit all my songs myself now so I guess I am not as hard to work with as I used to be

Therese
Old 03-03-2011, 01:34 PM

Hi
So there is a new song, and I thought I would put it out here. It is different from the songs I have made before, and RiF mixed it with a different style. Is it better is it worse?

Anyway here is the link: http://nrk.no/urort/Laat/344077/default.aspx

Therese
Old 03-05-2011, 05:23 AM

Peace. Wasn't sure if i was suppose to post my inquisition here on the "post reply" or create a new thread but here goes. First id like to say hi to all of you on this forum, my names Bryan, i am 18 with a home grown studio.

Basically, im requesting some tips and techniques on how to mix
rap vocals on Pro Tools the RIGHT way. i know a tad bit
but i would definitely like to learn more ways to gain more knowledge
on mixing and what not. i was taught by one of my buddies...
he didn't really show me EXACTLY what to do, i just watched
and repeated the steps he did to mix, etc etc. (of course using my preferable plug ins) Here's what the fellow showed me...

On the link below is a picture i took

http://cid-b22139c0e5cea37a.photos.l...om/Inserts.jpg

this is the method i use to mix down.
adding plug ins on the inserts for the tracks.
(click to zoom in so you can see how i usually start)

Mind you, this is the only way i know how to mix..

ive heard about methods that are more sound appealing
using auxiliary, busses etc etc. (have no clue how to mix this way)

if you can please drop some simple knowledge on how to mix the right way
to get a better mix down, it would be highly appreciated!

you can also check my tracks out, hosted on sound cloud, so you can
see how the outcome of the way i mix usually comes out.

my vocals seem to be trapped in the beat, like if the vocals lacked presence, broadness, etc etc.

Please and thank you.

Peace.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbudz View Post
Peace. Wasn't sure if i was suppose to post my inquisition here on the "post reply" or create a new thread but here goes. First id like to say hi to all of you on this forum, my names Bryan, i am 18 with a home grown studio.

Basically, im requesting some tips and techniques on how to mix
rap vocals on Pro Tools the RIGHT way. i know a tad bit
but i would definitely like to learn more ways to gain more knowledge
on mixing and what not. i was taught by one of my buddies...
he didn't really show me EXACTLY what to do, i just watched
and repeated the steps he did to mix, etc etc. (of course using my preferable plug ins) Here's what the fellow showed me...

On the link below is a picture i took

http://cid-b22139c0e5cea37a.photos.l...om/Inserts.jpg

this is the method i use to mix down.
adding plug ins on the inserts for the tracks.
(click to zoom in so you can see how i usually start)

Mind you, this is the only way i know how to mix..

ive heard about methods that are more sound appealing
using auxiliary, busses etc etc. (have no clue how to mix this way)

if you can please drop some simple knowledge on how to mix the right way
to get a better mix down, it would be highly appreciated!

you can also check my tracks out, hosted on sound cloud, so you can
see how the outcome of the way i mix usually comes out.

my vocals seem to be trapped in the beat, like if the vocals lacked presence, broadness, etc etc.

Please and thank you.

Peace.
1. IMHO it is not good to hijack a thread!!!
2. Create a Master Fader and put the dither plugin there, they don't belong on the tracks!
3. I recommend put the reverb and delay plugins onto a separate Aux track and use sends via busses not inserts.
4. There are tons of videos on Youtube that show mixing in Protools!
Old 03-05-2011, 09:21 AM

Excuse me for that, that's why initially i stated i was clueless were to post this, i even posted this as a thread cause i couldnt see my post, but can you elaborate more on your response? thanks!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 PM

So to end this thread I thought I would post the last song that was made. It is very different, the first experiment with dark vocals.

http://www.nrk.no/urort/Laat/388484/default.aspx

Anyway if anyone wants to help out me and RiF you could just contact me.

Hope the song is a good ending, was a lot of fun
Old 04-21-2012, 01:41 PM

Okay I just read a forum on setting proper volume levels-calibrating my monitors etc... Definitely resolves my headroom issues. Now what about EQ?
You know how your mix sounds good full-bodied and crisp in your own studio but it sounds muddied and Bass heavy on other systems. How do you calibrate EQ so it sounds good everywhere else as well as in my studio?

When I analyze my EQ do I boost what showing low and cut what is showing high?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemdog76 View Post
You know how your mix sounds good full-bodied and crisp in your own studio but it sounds muddied and Bass heavy on other systems. How do you calibrate EQ so it sounds good everywhere else as well as in my studio?

If your mixes are bass heavy on other systems, then that means you are lacking bass in your home setup. Hence you are boosting it and turning it up to get a good balance. Then on other systems with good bass response, its too much. The solution is to correct and treat the room, or change your monitors ( change monitoring position, add a sub, get better monitors, or get use to cutting back on the bass in your home mixes.)

If your mixes are muddy on other systems than could mean your monitors currently accentuate the mids and high and are a bit brittle. You then warm the mix up which with low and low mids, which on other systems boost that. Mids and highs add to clarity. example, The bright bit on a kick brings it out. You add low to beef the kick up, and on other systems the bright attack is gone and you got a kick thats muddy.

Also you have to keep in mind, if you listen to your mix on a small crappy tweeter boom box, its going to sound mid rangey, If you listen to your mix on a home surround sound system with alot of low frequency, then its going to sound different as well. There is no magic mix that will sound great on all types of systems and speakers.

If you listen to your mix on your monitors, then your ipod little ear buds on a mp3 player, and on headphones and the mix is still consistant, then you are pretty much there.

It will be somewhat consistant on most systems. note i said somewhat, and most. There is no mix that is great on everything. Too many variables. And honestly some systems sound like chit no matter how good the mix is.

Most people will listen to your mix on some type of headphones, or ipod earbuds, on computer speakers, or on good monitor speakers.

Just try to get a consistant mix on those. Dont worry too much on alot of other systems. everyone could have different freq response, different EQ settings, subs, etc etc etc.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7