Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-30-2017, 02:57 PM

Default Ancient HD3 PCIx system - any use?!

Hi Guys,

Been ages since I've posted here. Turned my old HD3 system on the other day and my old hair dryer G5 made me wonder whether I really ought to find a better home for this beasty... however, it also made me wonder whether there's anything I might do with this set up. I have an old PT HD10 license. Is there any way I can get things to work with that + a chassis of some description plus a decent Mac Pro? I can't recall whether Digi/Avid declared that these old cards don't work with newer machines and is there a chassis that might work?

Happy to hear your thoughts on whether it's worthwhile trying to do anything with this setup.

Best,

Mike
Old 09-30-2017, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Ancient HD3 PCIx system - any use?!

"This old dog still fetches my newspaper, but I was wondering if I put him down and got a new dog somehow my newspaper would be better?"
Old 09-30-2017, 03:06 PM

That old dog has been asleep for a while and had a great history barking some great stuff. Any new bones to offer? Or do I need to let it know it's long journey and now is the time to have a long sleep?!
Old 09-30-2017, 03:12 PM

I mean, if you're itching to spend money, a new computer is great, but new computers are easily the biggest "money sinkhole", as their resale value is basically nil. If you can get your job done with what you have, I say do that; An old PCI-X HD3 system is awesome for tracking/mixing music as you know! That has not changed.

What exactly is the wall you're running into? New plugins you're itching to try out? Running out of system resources?
Old 10-01-2017, 01:32 AM

The system hasn't been used in a while and still has PT 7.4 installed and some ancient OS version. I'm using another PT12 Native system but was wondering whether those old PCIx cards could be used in a chassis + more modern computer + more recent version of PT. It's mostly whether they'd work in a setup like that or whether their age means it's not worth it.

Last edited by MikeC; 10-01-2017 at 02:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:44 PM

http://www.tierratek.com/store/pc/vi...8aAr8lEALw_wcB
Old 10-02-2017, 10:46 AM

HD10 is the last version of Pro Tools that supports the pci hd cards. You can run them on newer hardware provided the mobo has native pci slots, and not bridged to pcie. I've built a few PCs specifically for running that older interface hardware.

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2017, 01:34 AM

Thanks, Guys. Need to look at PT10 and see if there's anything I might vs 12. Would give us another HD system but I haven't run PT on a windows machine before.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:08 PM

Actually, while I'm thinking about this, we might have a PCIe core HD card. I know I can't bridge the PCIx cards to this but can I go to PT12 with a PCIe HD card?
Old 10-04-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Actually, while I'm thinking about this, we might have a PCIe core HD card. I know I can't bridge the PCIx cards to this but can I go to PT12 with a PCIe HD card?

No Pro Tools TDM systems stopped at PT10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis