Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-01-2002, 04:36 PM

Default second hand plugins

Hi all

Buying secondhand versions of plugins would it be possible to re-register them as well and then upgrade whent he time is right for hd as there are some great prices for plugins at the moment
Old 02-01-2002, 08:38 PM

Default Re: second hand plugins

If you purchased the plugins from a friend or associate and you get the original disk, manual and serial, you and him should be able to transfer the ownership of that registered product to you. Then you should be able to upgrade, depending on the guidelines setup by the Software company.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:02 PM

There's also the ongoing debate over fine print. To most people it seems that if you buy a plug or any software, it's yours; you now own it. But many software companies and developers feel you have only 'licensed' it and have no right to sell it. Its a very grey area. Has anyone actually taken the time to read the fine print when you run a Mac OS installer?
Old 02-02-2002, 05:28 AM

I don't believe it's all that grey.

Read the license agreement that comes with any software package and it will be clear that as the end user/customer , with very rare exceptions, we only license the software for use, typically on one workstation, and that's it. We don't own the software - only a license to use it.

We can sometimes 'transfer' ownership of the license but depending upon the agreement with the owner of the software (that is the company that licences it to us the customer) we may or may not be able to transfer the license.

My 2cent worth and no I'm not a lawyer but I do work for a software company and have had a little experience with EULAs. (end user license agreement).
Old 02-02-2002, 10:14 AM

Another grey area - the IRS (in the states) regards software purchase as capital investment subject to depreciation, whereas we all know that every time you open one of those seals, you are agreeing that you have purchased a license to use software. that means that in reality, that purchase should be treated as an expense (buying a license) , i.e. written off the year you buy it .

Malcolm
Old 02-03-2002, 08:06 PM

Yeh. I agree. The apple agreement and most others are not that 'grey' . They clearly state 'license'. I think what I meant was more a grey area pertaining to the purchasers' perspective of either owning or licensing. MPaynes post above shows a very good example of what I meant. Another instance is here in Nashville, businesses are expected to pay, in addition to other taxes, what's known as a Personal T Tax. This is a tax on the physical things your business owns; desks, chairs, phones, paper clips, computers, and yes, software. You're not expected to be taxed on a vehicle your business might lease. But they will tax you on the software in your computers. Albeit, hard to inforce and I doubt they really try. But reading the details on the tax forms does clearly state software as being taxable. So why are they able to tax me on software if I don't really own it?