Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-09-2014, 03:25 PM

Default No Playback Through Headphones (Pro Tools 10)

Ok, so for some reason I can't get audio to play back through my headphones in Pro Tools 10 on my laptop.

Both the headphones and the connection are fine (every other conceivable source of audio other than Pro Tools is playing back fine).

Various system sounds are also clearly coming back through the headphones, it's just the Pro Tools stuff which is coming through the speakers still.

• Playback engine is ASIO4ALL v2
  • The I/O is stating the output as being the speakers (HD Audio Speaker 1-2). I assumed this would automatically flip to 'headphone mode' once a pair was plugged in but maybe I have to guide it to them? (had a look but ultimately i'm not too clever with this).

The only other thing I can say is that I installed the same package onto a separate desktop computer and the playback is fine there.

Cheers.

Edit: I'm using the only headphone jack on the side of my laptop, no mbox or anything; I'm under the impression it should still work without, right?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:48 PM

Default Re: No Playback Through Headphones (Pro Tools 10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davi View Post
Ok, so for some reason I can't get audio to play back through my headphones in Pro Tools 10 on my laptop.

Both the headphones and the connection are fine (every other conceivable source of audio other than Pro Tools is playing back fine).

Various system sounds are also clearly coming back through the headphones, it's just the Pro Tools stuff which is coming through the speakers still.

• Playback engine is ASIO4ALL v2
  • The I/O is stating the output as being the speakers (HD Audio Speaker 1-2). I assumed this would automatically flip to 'headphone mode' once a pair was plugged in but maybe I have to guide it to them? (had a look but ultimately i'm not too clever with this).

The only other thing I can say is that I installed the same package onto a separate desktop computer and the playback is fine there.

Cheers.

Edit: I'm using the only headphone jack on the side of my laptop, no mbox or anything; I'm under the impression it should still work without, right?
You might need to check your Windows audio settings using the Windows mixer. Is the headphone jack volume control turned on? Did you accidently mute it?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:17 AM

You may have to enable the headphone out in the ASIO4ALL configuration.
Since this switches when you plug them in, try plugging in your headphones, then go into ASIO4ALL configuration and enable the headphones as output devices. Then fire up PT and see if it works for you. I'm not sure if you will have to change any settings in PT or not. If the headphones appear as new output devices you may have to tell PT to use them too.

System Details
Old 02-12-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
You might need to check your Windows audio settings using the Windows mixer. Is the headphone jack volume control turned on? Did you accidently mute it?
It's definitely on. As I said there are audible system sounds, such as the 'beep' that plays whenever you alter the volume level, so everything is fine on that front; it's just that Pro Tools isn't cooperating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
You may have to enable the headphone out in the ASIO4ALL configuration.
Since this switches when you plug them in, try plugging in your headphones, then go into ASIO4ALL configuration and enable the headphones as output devices. Then fire up PT and see if it works for you. I'm not sure if you will have to change any settings in PT or not. If the headphones appear as new output devices you may have to tell PT to use them too.
How exactly do I get into the ASIO4ALL config?
Old 01-05-2019, 01:55 PM

I'm having the same problem, too. Were you ever able to get this figured out?