Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2017, 09:07 PM

Default Easiest way to check a plugin's version number under Win 10(?)

I'm sure the answer to this is really simple, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out right now.

On Mac, all I have to do to see a plugin's version number is navigate to the plugins folder, right click on any plugin and choose 'get info', and then all the relative info is listed, including version number.

Under Win 10, if I navigate to the plugins folder, right click on a plugin and choose 'get properties', I get some of the relative info, but not the version number.

If I instead go to 'programs and features' (where you would normally go to uninstall stuff), and then click on a plugin, the version number is there... which is fine, I guess, but this window is literally all of the programs on the computer (in alphabetical order), which makes it kind of a pain to check plugin compatibility when you're having to sift through a ton of other stuff.

Am I missing something? Is it possible to sort programs in 'Programs and Features' so that all the AAX plugins are bundled together?

It doesn't appear to be possible to add 'Version' to the details bar in the plugins folder (like it is in the 'Programs And Features' folder), which seems silly, but I'm somewhat new to the Windows file/folder architecture.

Is this just how it is on Windows?
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 10-24-2017, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Easiest way to check a plugin's version number under Win 10(?)

To to the plug ins folder, find the EXE file and right click. Properties, details. That's the version number.

You can also go to the control panel, programs and features and listed in the far right, there is a version number but that is just the installers version number, which isn't always the same as the exe version number. Most times it is tho.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 10-24-2017, 08:25 AM

And you can sort Programs & Features by Name, Publisher, Installed On, Size or Version, by clicking on any of these headings. Works similarly in any Folder.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-24-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
To to the plug ins folder, find the EXE file and right click. Properties, details. That's the version number.

You can also go to the control panel, programs and features and listed in the far right, there is a version number but that is just the installers version number, which isn't always the same as the exe version number. Most times it is tho.
I must be thick in the head, because all I'm seeing in the plugins folder is .aaxplugin files. Even if I open them, it's just components of said .aaxplugin file (.ico's,.xml's, etc.) and none of them have a version number listed under properties.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 10-24-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
And you can sort Programs & Features by Name, Publisher, Installed On, Size or Version, by clicking on any of these headings. Works similarly in any Folder.

Well, yeah sure... but that doesn't really separate all the .aaxplugins from the rest of the programs on the drive. Might make it a little easier, I guess, to have them grouped by publisher, but you're still having to sort through non plugin programs.

And it does not appear that all the same sort options are available across all folders, because like I said, the option to show 'version' in the details bar doesn't appear to be available in the plugins folder.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 10-24-2017, 02:56 PM

You need to go inside the AAX folders to find the plug code. In the drop-down menu at the top of the window you can right-click and choose file version as a column to see it Not all developers do this but many do.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
You need to go inside the AAX folders to find the plug code. In the drop-down menu at the top of the window you can right-click and choose file version as a column to see it Not all developers do this but many do.

Right on Bob, thanks. I tried the 'file version' thing on a few plugins yesterday, but the field was never populated. Even drilled down all the way to the lowest level (the AAXPLUGIN file itself) and nothing.

So I'm going to give up on this and ask a better question:

How do you guys go about making sure you've the latest plugin versions under Win 10?

cheers all
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 10-24-2017, 03:50 PM

I do it from the programs and features. You say you don't like it, but all your plugins are listed right there in a row. There is literally no faster way. Far quicker than navigating through folders, navigating to files, right clicking, etc. They are just listed right there in alphabetical order and requires no clicking or navigating.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-24-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
all your plugins are listed right there in a row.
Wait... what are you sorting by that all the aax plugins are right in a row? The best I can do is to sort by publisher, which at least puts all my Arturia stuff together, and my waves stuff together toward the bottom, etc., but it's still in a sea of other stuff from Adobe, Canon, Microsoft, RME, etc.

If I were able to sort in a way that allowed me to put all the plugins right in a row, that'd be fine with me.

I tried adding 'location' to the details bar, but not all of them even have a location listed.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 10-25-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftalive View Post
Wait... what are you sorting by that all the aax plugins are right in a row? The best I can do is to sort by publisher, which at least puts all my Arturia stuff together, and my waves stuff together toward the bottom, etc., but it's still in a sea of other stuff from Adobe, Canon, Microsoft, RME, etc.

If I were able to sort in a way that allowed me to put all the plugins right in a row, that'd be fine with me.

I tried adding 'location' to the details bar, but not all of them even have a location listed.
Scrolling past RME and Nvidia is still WAY faster than opening up folder after folder and right clicking file after file to get version numbers. You are complaining about spending seconds to save minutes.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10