Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 08-02-2018, 07:47 PM

Default Re: All Waves comps on sale

I like PIE, DPR402 and DBX.

They are the only waves comps i recommend at all, personal opinion of course, and yes i have all of them due to bundles over the years and have used them extensively.

i find the others don't really even behave like proper compressors, the CLA ones are especially bad... i WISH i had paid 29 for DPR and DBX LOL!

Hope they do all their noise reduction soon at $29 as i want the WNS.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
No that’s a common misconception. The last two settings a different types of tape emulations, another is modelled on some kind of analogue early digital device. In Waves’ typical fashion they modelled the noise along with the emulation, as they have done with all their other products.

Think about it, what would we need 4 types of noise for?? Even for Waves that wouldn’t make sense. You can actually hear the delay changes tonality and texture as you change the Analog type. It’s also a behaviour consistent with H-Comp. Even the API series has the harmonics and the noise tied into their Analog switch. Turning that off is like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

You can actually test it your self by throwing a sine wave through it, changing switch positions and veiwing the results on the spectrogram.
I will. Thanks
Old 08-02-2018, 09:49 PM

Someone at gearslutz posted analysis and in most of them the analog switch is nothign other than noise.. I have seen it with my own eyes..

on *some* of them, it adds some modelling along with it, but i'd have to find the topic to remember each ones..

Since there isn't a noise level on most of them, using them on every track actually gets very noisy regardless.. as if waves couldn't code a noise off button and still let the analog button be on. I don't buy it.
The code's already there, just give an option to enable so called modelling without the noise.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I like PIE, DPR402 and DBX.

They are the only waves comps i recommend at all, personal opinion of course, and yes i have all of them due to bundles over the years and have used them extensively.

i find the others don't really even behave like proper compressors, the CLA ones are especially bad... i WISH i had paid 29 for DPR and DBX LOL!

Hope they do all their noise reduction soon at $29 as i want the WNS.
Don't buy WNS. I own it and never use it...(well I have Cedar DNS One).
But still have you checked Brusfri?
If Waves NR then I much more prefer W43 over WNS as it has less artefacts.

The only plugin I would like to get from Waves is DTS Neural™ Surround UpMix... but not for $500.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 08-03-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
No that’s a common misconception. The last two settings a different types of tape emulations, another is modelled on some kind of analogue early digital device. In Waves’ typical fashion they modelled the noise along with the emulation, as they have done with all their other products.

Think about it, what would we need 4 types of noise for?? Even for Waves that wouldn’t make sense. You can actually hear the delay changes tonality and texture as you change the Analog type. It’s also a behaviour consistent with H-Comp. Even the API series has the harmonics and the noise tied into their Analog switch. Turning that off is like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

You can actually test it your self by throwing a sine wave through it, changing switch positions and veiwing the results on the spectrogram.
I made what might be the most useless video in the world but I think you might be right (by looking at the waveforms) even though I'm unable to hear the difference with 6 or 7 repetitions. Either way, I had fun editing. Thanks!
https://youtu.be/1_PTOTkwh5A
Old 08-03-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Someone at gearslutz posted analysis and in most of them the analog switch is nothign other than noise.. I have seen it with my own eyes..

on *some* of them, it adds some modelling along with it, but i'd have to find the topic to remember each ones..

Since there isn't a noise level on most of them, using them on every track actually gets very noisy regardless.. as if waves couldn't code a noise off button and still let the analog button be on. I don't buy it.
The code's already there, just give an option to enable so called modelling without the noise.
This is what makes sense to me. That's what I think the Analog button adds nothing but noise.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Don't buy WNS. I own it and never use it...(well I have Cedar DNS One).
But still have you checked Brusfri?
If Waves NR then I much more prefer W43 over WNS as it has less artefacts.

The only plugin I would like to get from Waves is DTS Neural™ Surround UpMix... but not for $500.
Waves WNS is awesome. I demo'd Brusri and RX, and I found Waves worked much better. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Though I definitely wouldn't expect it be as great as a plugin costing $3,840.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
Waves WNS is awesome. I demo'd Brusri
What is Brusri? Google turns up nothing related to audio that I can see.

QAPLA!
Old 08-05-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What is Brusri? Google turns up nothing related to audio that I can see.
Typo. Brusfri.

(I tried googling "brusri" and 1st result is a Bruce Lee video. NAHHHHHHHHH! *DEAD*)

(No emojis on duc? What century is this??)
Old 08-06-2018, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
Typo. Brusfri.

(I tried googling "brusri" and 1st result is a Bruce Lee video. NAHHHHHHHHH! *DEAD*)

(No emojis on duc? What century is this??)
Thanks for the correction. I too got the same thing when Googling the original word.

Emojis No thanks. Don't need them and don't want them.

QAPLA!