How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-15-2018, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Questions about computer monitors

I like having three monitors as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cropped No2.jpg (65.8 KB, 0 views)
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 10-15-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
Ouch!! That placement would not be nice for us as the constant looking up would kill the comfort in our super expensive leather chairs I impulse bought at a big home/office show last year hehe. It looks like it would fall down any minute and even though that is probably not gonna happen I would think about that everyday when working with gear on the table.

I know Albee has his three monitors on top of eachother which would be even worse

Side by side is the way to go if you have like 27" up to 32"

We have two Raven MTi2's 27" side by side and in the main room with the SSL4K console we have a Raven 46" MTX and even though it is on a large arm that can be well ujusted it is too big to sit close to so smaller MTi2's are the way to go. We are probably swapping out the MTX 46" for another two MTi2's this december when the time comes to get rid of the money left in the company to avoid paying taxes on it .... anyone for a Raven MTX in mint condition

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-15-2018, 05:38 PM

One screen (27") on an ergotron arm 2ft away and a little below eye level. Technically 2 screens as I have a 65" 4k above my center speaker 8 ft away (bottom edge 5ft up) but that is almost always on picture/video. Though every now and then I'll throw a metering plugin up there (Izotope Insight or Nugen VisLM). i don't like looking too low or high because of neck/back strain that happens so the screens are about +-15 degrees from eye level.

I don't like monitors between the "sound" and me so I keep the left/right speakers completely clear of screens and the 27" is tilted back and directly above my mixer faders (Artist Mix or S3) to keep the center speaker clear. If I was to add another horizontal screen, it'd end up blocking speakers.

Since I have Eucon, I really almost never look at the mixer page but, if necessary, I just flip to it on the same screen. I'm either editing or mixing at separate times. I don't need to see virtual faders to mix and on my edit screen, I have inserts and sends visible and seeing the automation is more important.

I was on 3 screens for a long time but I like this much better (though I'm thinking about adding another screen embedded flat portrait-style into my desk to see things like Google Docs/Sheets with notes from clients, put messenger/mail on, and put SoundMiner's window on so those don't show up on my main work screen.)
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 10-15-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
This thread is getting awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
One screen (27") on an ergotron arm 2ft away and a little below eye level. Technically 2 screens as I have a 65" 4k above my center speaker 8 ft away (bottom edge 5ft up) but that is almost always on picture/video. Though every now and then I'll throw a metering plugin up there (Izotope Insight or Nugen VisLM). i don't like looking too low or high because of neck/back strain that happens so the screens are about +-15 degrees from eye level.

I don't like monitors between the "sound" and me so I keep the left/right speakers completely clear of screens and the 27" is tilted back and directly above my mixer faders (Artist Mix or S3) to keep the center speaker clear. If I was to add another horizontal screen, it'd end up blocking speakers.

Since I have Eucon, I really almost never look at the mixer page but, if necessary, I just flip to it on the same screen. I'm either editing or mixing at separate times. I don't need to see virtual faders to mix and on my edit screen, I have inserts and sends visible and seeing the automation is more important.

I was on 3 screens for a long time but I like this much better (though I'm thinking about adding another screen embedded flat portrait-style into my desk to see things like Google Docs/Sheets with notes from clients, put messenger/mail on, and put SoundMiner's window on so those don't show up on my main work screen.)
I would love to see pictures of that setup!
Old 10-16-2018, 12:34 AM

It's not as high as it appears. You only need a slight head movement to see the screen. The monitor has a large base which fits the top of the JBL perfectly so it is very stable. No fear of it falling off anytime soon.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 10-16-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
It's not as high as it appears. You only need a slight head movement to see the screen. The monitor has a large base which fits the top of the JBL perfectly so it is very stable. No fear of it falling off anytime soon.
Thats great! Sorry if I was rude, wasn’t meant that way Looks good but I think I would need getting used to that placement

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-16-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Those are LSR308's right? If so they do have the horizontal space for the screen. I'd still not be comfortable with that placement from the point of view of neck tilt although that would depend on how high one sits.

QAPLA!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:19 AM

Well now I cant find the link(sorry) but the other day I came across a cool v shaped display holder bracket that clamps to the desk and holds two displays. I didn't check what the max size allowed but modern displays are pretty light weight.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:46 PM

Found this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...m_term=970x250
Old 10-17-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Well now I cant find the link(sorry) but the other day I came across a cool v shaped display holder bracket that clamps to the desk and holds two displays. I didn't check what the max size allowed but modern displays are pretty light weight.
Be careful with those clamp deals. They can work loose and if you tighten them down too far they'll crack unless they're made of metal. Or you could end up crushing the table you're clamping to. I've actually had that happen in both cases. Thankfully all I lost was a couple of lights and a mic - Neumann BC705 - the yoke snapped where it mounts to the mic. And lights that were on a boom. The mic got fixed and the lights went in the trash.

QAPLA!