Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 11-22-2020, 10:51 AM

Default Included Plugins with Perpetual subscription

Is there a list of which plugins are included with the Perpetual subscription, and will continue to work as Pro Tools does if your support plan expires? ... and which plugins will stop working because they are timed out with the support plan?

Asking for a friend.

Media Man
Old 11-22-2020, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Included Plugins with Perpetual subscription

I haven't got a complete plugin list, but here's the installers I downloaded when I bought the latest PT perpetual earlier this year:
Avid Complete Plugin Bundle
First AIR Instruments Blundle
You'll have to explore what they contain.
and Xpand! II

Also, the Perpetual license works for PT 10, 11, 12, which subscription does not.

Added:
"Perpetual subscription" is self contradiction, no?
The bundles you get with perpetual are, perpetual,

They don't go away if you let the update/support plan expire.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:45 AM

I see now that the complete plugin bundle contains a lot of plugins that need separate licenses, so that wasn't very helpful for you. Sorry. I hope someone else can be more of assistance.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:34 PM

The AIR plugins are free and will work after your support plan expires. I use a perpetual license for Ultimate and the annual support plan comes with the Avid Complete Bundle. There is a subscription for that bundle in my iLok account that I have to refresh each year after I renew.

The plugins in that bundle are not that great compared to some of the 3rd party plugins out there. Also, I've been hesitant to put them in my session knowing there could be a day in the future when I may not want to immediately renew my support plan. I actually find the AIR plugins more useful than the Avid Complete Bundle.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post

Added:
"Perpetual subscription" is self contradiction, no?
The bundles you get with perpetual are, perpetual,

They don't go away if you let the update/support plan expire.
Actually some of them stop working at the end of your support period, even though PT and most of the Avid plugins continue to work. I can't remember which ones, or if they are a separate download.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:09 PM

If a plugin stops working, first thing is to open iLok License Manager and see if something has expired.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:03 PM

The term "perpetual subscription" is confusing me. In simple terms, I thought you either have a perpetual license (with or without a support plan) or you have a subscription license (month to month). Please clarify which license you are asking about.

If you have the perpetual license, the plugins you have included with that licenses should remain. If you continue the support plan, you will continue to get version upgrades, and supposedly any upgrades to those plugins. If you don't continue with the support plan, you will stay at that version of Protools and the included plugins once the support plan expires. If you desire to reinstate, there is a fee and then you will once again be able to get updates to Protools and any included plugins.

If you have the subscription license, Protools and any included plugins are updated so long as you have an active subscription. If you stop the subscription, your license for protools stops working as well as any included plugins as part of the subscription. Of course any other plugins that you own and have valid licenses for will continue to work as they are not subject tot he subscription license. When you resubscribe on the subscription license, you will get the latest version of Protools and all the included plugins available as part of the subscription at that time (possibly different from the last time you subscribed if the list undergoes changes).

If my understanding is wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 11-22-2020, 08:34 PM

Subscription is subscription and license is license. The technical fact that software needs license to open makes the confusion, people do not know the difference of subscription license and perpetual license.

Avid could just talk about subscriptions and licenses, everything would be much simpler.

But there is no such thing as perpetual subscription, unless you have given Avid your credit card and right to charge it in perpetuity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Subscription is subscription and license is license. The technical fact that software needs license to open makes the confusion, people do not know the difference of subscription license and perpetual license.

Avid could just talk about subscriptions and licenses, everything would be much simpler.

But there is no such thing as perpetual subscription, unless you have given Avid your credit card and right to charge it in perpetuity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But an Avid representative told me something different last week: If you subscribe in the Avid web store they charge your credit card after the first subscription period until you say stop. Seems like a perpetual subscription to me or isn’t it?

Best

Mark
Old 11-22-2020, 11:16 PM

A current SUBSCRIPTION has access to the AVID complete bundle, HEAT and UVI Falcon AVID Edition. Once a subsription expires, these "timed" licenses expire on your iLok unless renewed.

The AVID Complete Plugin Bundle, HEAT + UVI Falcon AVID Edition cost separately for use with a perpetual license. Even if on a current support plan.
But once purchased, these plugin licenses will not expire and can be used on an unlimited basis.

I realize others have already clarified things on Perps & Subs. I just felt like doing something in the community