Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2002, 09:52 AM

Default RME converters...Do they stack up with the best?

Anyone know where I can find a good, un-biased, objective comparison of the top of the line RME 8 channel a/d/a box against others like apogee etc? I would like to read the results of a real a/b comparison for just sound quality. I'm sure the Apogee top of the line has more bells and whistles, but what I'm most interested in is transparent conversion. Anyone???????
Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-09-2002, 08:49 AM

Default Re: RME converters...Do they stack up with the best?

try this for a list of reviews.

http://www.rme-audio.de/english/review/reviews.htm

There is even a comparison between the ad-8000 and the adi-pro at

http://www.rme-audio.de/english/review/a8dscomp.pdf
Old 12-09-2002, 07:26 PM

Thanks, I've read that article, but all those numbers and tests don't tell the whole tale. I'd rather take the word of an user who's hear em. I have a Trak 2 and a digi 001, and although the Trak 2's converters do sound better to me, they're not enough better to justify the high cost. I'm looking at getting 8 channels and have heard good things about the RME's, but am hoping to get more feedback from guys who've worked with em.
Thanks for the feedback.
Steve
Old 12-10-2002, 11:50 PM

Hi Steve,

I had the benefit of being at a listening test hosted by some of the Steinberg reps here in LA a while back. We listened to the RME 8I/O, Apogee AD16 and DA16 and the DB stuff they had there. In double-blind tests, everyone picked the Apogees and the DB box. The RME was pretty far off the mark once everything was calibrated properly.

I've used the Trak2 on some sessions and thought it was pretty amazing, especially the mic pre. For the money, I actually thought the Trak2 was very resonably priced considering the quality of the pres and converters. I recently got a quote from Sweetwater for around 4K for the unit with the 8 output expansion and an ADAT card. considering the converters are supposedly the same as the PSX100-SE, I doubt you could buy a comparable 2-channel mic pre and a PSX100-SE and get better value than you get with a Trak2.

for the money, if you are looking to expand upon the Trak2, I suggest the AD16. Its around $2500 bucks, which is a pretty good deal as far as I can tell.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:23 AM

RME adi8-ds (top class rme converter) is the best converter i have ever heard. It's better than rosetta 48k and ad16 (the only apogee converters i tried). I don't know if trak2 is better than rosetta and/or ad16. The only thing i can tell you is that ad-16 seems worse than ad-8000, that is considered to me at the same level of rme adi8-ds . ADI8-pro has a little lower quality , but it remains similar to apogee rosetta 48k as quality IMHO.

The only box superior to that (for my ears) is HD 192 I/O interface.

That's only my opinion and.."ear" anyway [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

regards
Ste
Old 12-12-2002, 08:41 AM

What about the Mini-me converters? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2002, 10:30 AM

Hello Steve,
I have the RME box AND a 192, the quality of the 192 is much better than the RME converter, I would say like 30% better (if you could measure it). If you are running TMD go for the 192, if not go for the apogee's track2.
My.02
Old 12-12-2002, 10:42 AM

Funny though, DIGIGEEK, Because Steinberg THEMSELVES sell as part of their NUENDO line of products the 8 i/o Nueno A/D D/A convertor which is actually, indeed, an RME ADI8 PRO!

That's right folks....they silk screened the NUENDO logo onto the RME unit and that's the truth!

'OL 88'
Old 12-12-2002, 11:33 AM

fingerz?
I miss the point of your post????

Are you saying that your suprised that the reps used their ears and not there paychecks?
I say good for them and hurray! for honesty.
Sounds like they had to call it as they heard it cause there were witnesses. I am sure they don't intend to use it in marketing dribble.

I think comparing pro gear to home studio gear is funnier than stienberg reps appreciating good sound.
This is the same argument that everyone who can't afford what they want uses. I know I did when I was getting started. You always want to believe that your $89 compressor sounds like an ELOP. Well, it doesn't! save your money. buy real gear. buy it once!!!

D
Old 12-12-2002, 05:31 PM
Apogee Digital

Quote:
Originally posted by fingerz88d:
Funny though, DIGIGEEK, Because Steinberg THEMSELVES sell as part of their NUENDO line of products the 8 i/o Nueno A/D D/A convertor which is actually, indeed, an RME ADI8 PRO!

That's right folks....they silk screened the NUENDO logo onto the RME unit and that's the truth!

'OL 88'
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's correct. The Nuendo boxes are rebranded RME converters. I happen know about this particular listening test and indeed the Steinberg reps picked the Apogees over the RME/Nuendo stuff in blind testing.

The truth is they were not really that shocked by this. The Steinberg reps are pretty smart cookies with lots of industry experience. I think it's fair to say everyone in the room expected the results they heard.