Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 10:23 PM

Default G4, New CPU - Corrupt Stack

Hello All

I am running a G4 Quicksilver with OS 10.3.8 (will retain this OS for certain compatibility reasons), which is a dedicated recording studio computer. The non host based recording platform is Pro Tools TDM (Mix Plus system). Also used is a host based rewire application, Reason 3.0, for virtual (MIDI) instruments.

The G4 was an 800MHz 2002, Quicksilver Model and retains the maximum RAM of 1.5 GHz.

I just replaced the CPU with a PowerLogix G-Force 7447 CPU running at 2.0 GHz. This specific CPU was recommended for my system by several techs at OWC.

At the same time, though I question whether this element could be part of the problem (described below), I have added a Tascam US-2400 to the system. This is a USB digital DAW controller.

After installing the new CPU I did all the typical disk clean-up and management to both the System Disk and to the second ATI Disk that is dedicated to the recording. I used Disk Warrier's optimization utility. I also repaired all permissions.

All had been working fine for maybe an hour when I had a total system crash (it's only happened once, but that is too often). The error message was "...Corrupt Stack..."

Any ideas?

Thank you all!

Felix
Old 07-31-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Re: G4, New CPU - Corrupt Stack

Anyway to check the tempature of the new CPU? You could download some free apps. Does your G4 work for about an hour and then crashes? Or does it constantly crashes now?

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 08-04-2006, 05:31 PM

sdf

thanks.....been a week of hell. I also thought it might be a heat problem. OWC says it may be an overclocking problem as the 7447 chip is really a 1.6MHz CPU. When the G4 Q.S. is asked to supply the additional voltage for overclocking there apparently can be issues as the power supply on this computer is know to be a bit on the weak side.

Net result is I'm back to my original 800MHz chip as the 7447 caused a crash of the variety I have never had on a MAc: a "panic" crash and the system didbn't recognize a platform to boot from! Couldn't boot from anything (Disk Warrior, OSX Recovery Disks - Nothing!).

Had to do a full reset, pull the 7447, reinstall the opld CPU and reinstall an OS.

All this in the middle of a production deadline!!!!

Never Again!

If it ain't broke..............
Old 08-07-2006, 07:23 AM

I have a G4 (Digital Audio) Dual 533 Mhz system with 896 MB RAM (TDM 6.2.3 on OS 10.3.2). I looked into purchasing a CPU upgrade card myself about a year ago, but the more I learned, the less I liked the idea. Pro Tools' site is pretty specific about what types of systems it will and will not support.

Even if the upgrade went flawlessly, the motherboard is still a bottleneck, because of the limited bus speed. I'm sticking with my current set up until I can't stand it any more (which will take a while, cuz I dig the set up now) and then upgrade to a G5 plus whatever the current version PT is on (currently 7.2).