Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-17-2004, 04:32 AM

Default V-Stack, GS3, ReWire and PT?

Hi,

I have a GigaSampler3 PC and am also building another PC to take softsynths like Tassman and the NI bundle; and wondered if anyone is using something like V-Stack to rewire GS3 and the other apps across to a Mac PT rig via lightpipe or even gigabit ethernet?

It would be cool to be able to have say 2 or 3 GS3 PCs ultimately, and I'm looking for an elegant way to get them into PT and sort of premix their outputs via something like V-Stack so I don't have to have discrete lightpipe feeds for each PC - is that possible?

I've upgraded my MIXplus to a HD4 Accel G5 combo and now am trying to get up to speed with the latest and greatest way of doing things on a PC.

Thanks for any feedback!

(Oh and BTW I have quite a few softsynths on the G5 but I think some of them might behave better on a PC )
Old 10-17-2004, 08:32 AM

Default Re: V-Stack, GS3, ReWire and PT?

This only addresses part of your question... but check out Forte by Brainspawn as an altenative VSTi host. VStack sucks - it's unstable & times out every 8 hours of so. For the other side of things, you should take a look at FXMax's products here .The OSX versions are not ready yet though, but It'll be exciting once they are.

Best,

Joel
Old 10-17-2004, 11:46 AM

The Brainspawn thing is cool but has no rewire as far as I can tell so presume it wouldn't work with GS3.

The FXMax stuff is promising but no Mac client is available yet as you say, so I may have to wait to get what I want. I didn't realise V-Stack had issues.

Thanks for info.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:31 PM

I use V-STack on my PC and I love it. I don't get all this fuzz about it timing out after 8 hours. For me it's a great program and and excellent and cheap companion to ProTools...

xoxo pv
Old 10-17-2004, 04:13 PM

I use V-Stack on four PC's hooked to my PT Accel rig. It works great.

My computers are hooked up via MIDI, and the audio (using RME HDSP 9652 cards) comes back into PT via light pipe. It works great and is solid as a rock. I was considering a MIDI over LAN solution, but decided against it because I've read a lot about people having problems.

Things are stable as a rock the way I have them configured. I think it's the way to go. Any additional software to run MIDI or audio over ethernet throws in some problem causing potential (especially every time operating systems on either side are upgraded). I don't need any more problems. I'd be more prone to go with such a solution if it was offered by Apple or Microsoft. As it is, these other solutions are offered by small companies that don't have deep pockets for testing. I wish them well, but I don't think it's for me (especially seeing all the problem posts on various forums). The solution I have uses a lot of hardware, but it's extremely reliable.

Another problem I saw was that the current solutions are somewhat limited in size. MOL only offers 16 16 channel ports.

Lee Blaske
Old 10-17-2004, 09:04 PM

Quote:
My computers are hooked up via MIDI, and the audio (using RME HDSP 9652 cards) comes back into PT via light pipe. It works great and is solid as a rock. I was considering a MIDI over LAN solution, but decided against it because I've read a lot about people having problems.
I have a similar setup Lee, 4 PCs all lightpipe into Pro Tools. Likewise I've been pondering midi over lan, but decided against it. VStack was a nightmare for me & a bunch of others (unless there's a new version I don't know about). I LOVE forte though. Rock solid, all kinds of great features. Worth looking in to anyway. First heard about it on the NS forum because of VStack's failings. Remember Nick Phoenix's petition to Steinberg? Maybe that's all changed. Would that this could all be done on a Mac - no PC's. Just dreaming...

J