Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2015, 05:44 AM

Default Analog mixer front end question.

Morning guys. This is a very rudimentary question but to me not so simple. I want to use my Mackie 24/8 for input to ProTools 9 and I saw a thread addressing the basics of this but not my question which is: How do I input channel per audio signal in to ProTools? I have done this in the past, (pre stroke), but for the life of me I can't remember how I accomplished it! It had to do with using the Mackie channel aux. sends but that's as far as I can get. I'm hoping someone might assist with some simple to understand instructions. In addition, does this scheme illuminate the use of an interface? As I recall, it does. This may seem an exercise in futility to some but it will help me understand the bridge between audio and digital signal flow. Thanks for any help offered.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Analog mixer front end question.

Direct outs (line-level) into PT interfaces
Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Direct outs (line-level) into PT interfaces
Much of this depends on what interface you are using(and how many line-level inputs it has). Direct Outputs from the mixer is ideal, but if your interface only has 2 inputs, then 2 channels from the mixer will be all you can do(and that may be all you need). Some other options would be to feed the mixer L&R to your pair of line inputs, and then pan left(on the mixer) for input 1, and pan right for input 2. Or patch GROUP outputs from the mixer(but in all these scenarios, you still are using 2 inputs in your session).

It might help if you try to visualize signal flow like water in pipes. Having said all this, I should also mention that in many cases, using an analog mixer ends up creating more confusion than any perceived benefit

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-28-2015, 08:20 AM

You can also use the inserts as direct out from each channel.
I had a Behringer 24/8 that I had to use the inserts as direct outs, many years ago.
I'm not shure, but I think the jack was inserted half-way to work as output.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I'm not shure, but I think the jack was inserted half-way to work as output.

I can tell you why.

The standard non-balanced insert point has TRS plug which breaks the signal chain as far as the console is concerned. So you do what you did or have a special cable which has tip/sleeve (send/receive) connected and therefore you can "steal" unbalanced line-level signal from insert point.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:39 AM

Thanks Y'all but my question hasn't been answered. To my way of thinking which admittedly is flawed, I remember that the aux sends were an integral part of the process. That being the case it seems to me that I would be able to use more of the features of the 24/8 prior to the signal going to my I/o. By that I mean implementing eq per channel and even sends/returns to hardware reverbs/compressors before combining them to a bus and then sending all to the 24/8 main mix output in stereo. from there, left right into two inputs on the 2i4. Lets say I was recording a 4 piece combo with their instruments going in to 4 separate channels on the 24/8. with the aux sends on each channel set to pre, the eq per channel would be functional as would the channel send/returns. Summing all 4 to a stereo bus output would accomplish my goal, would it not? The only problem is I can't get signal output from the Mackie board to the interface. If this won't work I would like to know why so I can just move on and back to itb! Thanks
Old 09-29-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Thanks Y'all but my question hasn't been answered. To my way of thinking which admittedly is flawed, I remember that the aux sends were an integral part of the process. That being the case it seems to me that I would be able to use more of the features of the 24/8 prior to the signal going to my I/o. By that I mean implementing eq per channel and even sends/returns to hardware reverbs/compressors before combining them to a bus and then sending all to the 24/8 main mix output in stereo. from there, left right into two inputs on the 2i4. Lets say I was recording a 4 piece combo with their instruments going in to 4 separate channels on the 24/8. with the aux sends on each channel set to pre, the eq per channel would be functional as would the channel send/returns. Summing all 4 to a stereo bus output would accomplish my goal, would it not? The only problem is I can't get signal output from the Mackie board to the interface. If this won't work I would like to know why so I can just move on and back to itb! Thanks
Yes, you can do exactly what you describe. It's called "live to 2-track". I used to do it as the cheapest way for a band to get a demo done in the studio. Basically, you're doing live sound and recording the board mix.

But it's dangerous and doesn't allow for any mixing later. You have whatever you captured coming out of the console, that's it.

I suggest you go back ITB. A Mackie 24/8, while a fine economical analog console circa 1992 (I did MANY records on them BTW), isn't adding anything sonically to your productions.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:35 AM

If he only has a 2i4, then he only has 2 inputs available to his DAW anyway. Might as well use the Mackie to submix everything down before going to the DAW.

But like Drew said, then you are limited to just the 2 tracks that you have in the DAW and you can't do anything more than overall EQ, compression etc... once in the DAW.

I would either get an interface with more available I/O, or a new digital mixer which has a USB connection and will act as the ASIO interface for your DAW, the Yamaha TF series comes to mind. Most of the newer intro level digital mixers include ASIO functionality via USB these days.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 09-29-2015, 12:46 PM

OK. Let's approach this from another direction and please excuse my rambling. Again, my problem is that I have forgotten how or where on the Mackie I picked up the stereo out from the mixer! It's as simple as that but for the life of me I can't remember! There's a multitude of stuff that I can't remember and this is just one. Anyway, yes I know that the 2i4 only has 2 inputs and the sound quality of the old Mackie 24/8 isn't up to todays specs but since I'm not a pro studio I figure once in to PT's 9 I can tweek the eq to improve the results. Now. If I'm using the method I attempted to describe with the aux sends, where or how do I find the stereo output from the Mackie? Or is there another way to accomplish this without using the aux sends? Hey Drew Mazurek, since you've done this and you had a Mackie 24/8 maybe you can remember how you did it. I would appreciate your help. Thanks
Old 09-29-2015, 12:50 PM

Default Analog mixer front end question.

There's a pair of XLR outputs on the back labeled main out or something to that effect.

They are the only XLR's on there you can't miss them.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.