Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-1998, 01:17 PM

Default SampleCell for FX spotting

I have been using an old (ancient maybe) Waveframe workstation for sound design and FX spotting for years. I have recently become head audio engineer at a studio that has two Pro Tools system.

As I wip this place into shape, I find myself longing for a Waveframe, even though they've been unsupported for years and years now. I am wondering if it is possible to emmulate the functionality of the Waveframe by combining a Samplecell with a Pro Tools setup.

What did the Waveframe do?

It integrated the following into a very slick package:

A sampler

A database of saved sampler sounds that was fully 'searchable' and 'auditionable'. For example, type in "door*" and it would give you a list of every saved sample with 'door' in the title. You could click on any sample in the list to audition it, and then another click would load it into the sampler.

An EDL which was tied to the sampler. For example, you would scrub to a particular location, say a door slam, create a new entry on the EDL, and then fly over any sound that was loaded into the sampler. You could then, edit the timing, pitch, looping, etc, of this sample, all while it was triggered against picture by the EDL.

These three functions, when taken together, meant I could fly through the grunt work of FX spotting, and concentrate on cool sound design.

SampleCell and Pro Tools together have all the raw ingredients for a system like this ( and more). I would love to find out if there is a way to put them together that would do what my old Waveframe did so well. Thanks.
Old 09-09-1998, 02:44 PM

Default Re: SampleCell for FX spotting

If you still want a Waveframe1000 - I know where one is available.

Having gone through this years ago, I can tell you that the WF had features that will take many combined parts of hardware and software to duplicate.

SampleCell vs WF sampler
8 outputs - 128 outputs
32mg - 32mg
record, no - record, yes
SC cannot change pitch, modulation, etc. for every sample, only globally on instrument.

You would need a way (PTs, SD, Peak) to record and edit samples.

Try SampleSearch software to approximate the WF audio database functions.

I have never seen anything comparable to the EDL sequencer in the WF.

ProTools TDM is far superior to the WF Mixer.
Macintosh big improvement over Windows.

Goodluck

Jim
Rhythm Division
Old 09-09-1998, 08:11 PM

I think Jim has summed it up beautifully. There is no comparison between the Waveframe and Samplecell. In fact as good as Samplecell is it is extremely pale when compared to the Waveframe.Perhaps in a few years someone will come up with a suitable alternative until then you would be better off with an Emu sampler which has a good Mac software interface. Or take Jim up on his offer of finding you a Waveframe

Kev
Old 09-23-1998, 09:45 AM

I freelance at a lot of post studios. One in particular uses something called Sample Search (dont know who makes it, sorry) with their PT 24/Logic/Sample Cell set-up. It is extremely powerfull software. It will search all mounted volumes and networks by keyword and you audition sounds with the space bar, then load them into your system (this is configurable). In this case I can load directly into SC or Logic.Fast and easy. Anyway let me know if you find another solutions.
Brett
Old 09-23-1998, 10:27 AM

SampleSearch is from Gallery Sortware

jim
Old 09-23-1998, 10:28 AM

Old 09-23-1998, 10:29 AM

http://www.gallery.co.uk
Old 09-27-1998, 11:28 PM

I also want to put up a mark for SampleSearch. It's definately worth looking into and you can get a demo from their web site that allow limited functionality.