Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-15-2019, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Automation AppleScripts for Pro Tools (Mac)

Thanks for all your help with this!

It really makes a difference to my workflow, and I'm hugely appreciative.

Is it possible to add a stop-check in the situation where I'm editing/typing the name of a track?

For instance. Stop/cancel the script if the text enter dialog window is open?
Old 09-16-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams View Post

Is it possible to add a stop-check in the situation where I'm editing/typing the name of a track?

Since I use all the script with Keyboard Maestro I can cancle all macros of KM with a shortcut. If you use the scripts directly I don't know how to do this.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams View Post

You should not stop or cancel the script when you want further actions to be completed by the script after you renamed the track, instead you'd let the script wait for a certain action to be completed, like when having the track rename window open you let the script wait until that window closes/doesn’t exist anymore.

But you should explain your entire workflow in order to get detailed help. What did the script do before the track rename window opens, what should be done when you have entered the new track name and pressed the OK button and so on. The more detailed the question the better the answer. 😉
Old 09-17-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
You should not stop or cancel the script when you want further actions to be completed by the script after you renamed the track, instead you'd let the script wait for a certain action to be completed, like when having the track rename window open you let the script wait until that window closes/doesn’t exist anymore.

But you should explain your entire workflow in order to get detailed help. What did the script do before the track rename window opens, what should be done when you have entered the new track name and pressed the OK button and so on. The more detailed the question the better the answer. ��
Hey Oliver, thanks again for all your help.

The script is working fine, it's just when I go to enter text and need numerics it triggers my KM hotkey. (I know I could change my hotkey, but) I was thinking it might be possible to use the script to tell KM to check prior to firing if there is a text box open?

I'm trying to figure out applescripts - *I missed out on learning anything like this in school, a little before my time unfortunately.

Starting with something simple, I've been trying to select the "Clip by Clip" pop up button of the "Processing Input Mode" menu item. But I keep getting a kick back telling me I can't access that item.

Here's what I've got. If you have a minute, I would really appreciate any guidance or insight into what I can do to improve. I installed Xcode to run the Accessibility Inspector because I thought that might help me.

Quote:
tell application "Pro Tools"
activate
tell application "System Events"
tell process "Pro Tools"
click menu item "RX 7 Connect" of menu 1 of menu item "iZotope, Inc." of menu "AudioSuite" of menu bar 1
click pop up button "Clip by Clip" of pop up button "Processing Input Mode"

end tell
end tell
end tell
Basically I just want to be able to run a script with KM that opens RX 7 Connect Audiosuite, and sets it to "Individual Files" and "Clip By Clip".

I thought If I could get it to change to "Clip by Clip" at least I'll be half way there .. but I can't even do that. haha

Last edited by TrentWilliams; 09-17-2019 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:07 AM

I do this by setting variables in KM (Plug-In, Preset, Processing Input Mode, Processing Output Mode), giving them to AppleScript and let AppleScript do the clicks with "cliClick" (which was mentioned by Oliver before).

You need some conditions to be checked e.g. is the AudioSuite already opened, which preset and processing modes are set etc.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:46 AM

Trent,

the following reply was prepared offline, before you edited your post and thus is based on the content of your former version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams
The script is working fine, it's just when I go to enter text and need numerics it triggers my KM hotkey. I know I could change my hotkey, but I was thinking it might be possible to use the script to tell KM to check prior to firing if there is a text box open, or engaged?
This is something to be fixed within KM. I would rather change the hotkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams
Starting with something simple, I've been trying to select the "Clip by Clip" pop up button of the "Processing Input Mode" menu item. But I keep getting a kick back telling me I can't access that item.

Here's what I've got. If you have a minute, I would really appreciate any guidance or insight into what I can do to improve. I installed Xcode to run the Accessibility Inspector because I thought that might help me.

Code:
	tell process "Pro Tools"
		set frontmost to true
		if exists (window "AudioSuite") then click (menu item "Processing Input Mode" whose description is "Clip by Clip")
	end tell
end tell
What are you trying to achieve is not possible with plain AppleScript because Pro Tools isn’t scriptable! When you are using AppleScript with Pro Tools you are scripting the user interface of Pro Tools (a.k.a. GUI scripting), not the Pro Tools app itself.

Try this:

Code:
property shortDelay : 0.1

if ptIsRunning() then
		tell process "Pro Tools"
			set frontmost to true
			tell (1st window whose name contains "Audio Suite")
				try
					-- click button "Processing Input Mode"
					click pop up button "Processing Input Mode"
					delay shortDelay
					key code 126 -- Arrow up key / Selects the "clip by clip" option
					delay shortDelay
					keystroke return

on error e number n
					tell application "Pro Tools" to display alert "An Error Occurred" message e & " (" & n & ")" buttons {"Cancel"} default button 1
				end try
			end tell
		end tell
	end tell
end if

on ptIsRunning()
	return application "Pro Tools" is running
end ptIsRunning
Since this introduces the 6 second delay again (after opening the "Processing Input Mode" menu item) you should use cliclick instead.

Assuming cliclick is installed in usr/local/bin:

Code:
property cliclickCLIPath : missing value
property shortDelay : 0.1

set cliclickCLIPath to "usr/local/bin/cliclick"

if ptIsRunning() then
		tell process "Pro Tools"
			set frontmost to true
			set asWindow to (1st window whose name contains "Audio Suite")
			try
				tell asWindow
					-- click button "Processing Input Mode"
					tell pop up button "Processing Input Mode"
						set {xPosition, yPosition} to position
						set {xSize, ySize} to size
						my cliClick("c:" & xPosition + (xSize div 2) & "," & yPosition + (ySize div 2))
					end tell
				end tell
				delay shortDelay
				key code 126 -- Arrow up key / Selects the "clip by clip" option
				delay shortDelay
				keystroke return

on error e number n
				tell application "Pro Tools" to display alert "An Error Occurred" message e & " (" & n & ")" buttons {"Cancel"} default button 1
			end try
		end tell
	end tell
end if

on ptIsRunning()
	return application "Pro Tools" is running
end ptIsRunning

on cliClick(coordinate)
	do shell script quoted form of cliclickCLIPath & " -r " & coordinate
end cliClick
Old 09-19-2019, 04:51 PM

Dear Community and Oliver,

First of all, thanks for sharing your knowledge in this fantastic thread. I was able to follow it and start building my scripts purely based on this information, very helpful indeed.

Now, I am a little bit stuck and would love to kindly ask for your advice on the following issue.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, and I will surely share my end result application here once it's working.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-19-2019, 06:58 PM

First of all, thanks for sharing your knowledge in this fantastic thread. I was able to follow it and start building my scripts purely based on this information, very helpful indeed.

Now, I am a little bit stuck and would love to kindly ask for your advice on the following issue.

I am working on Auto-Bounce program for Pro Tools. Essentially I aim to write a script which:
- Opens Memory Locations window for the PT project
- Clicks marker that has "Start" title
- Shift-clicks marker that has "End" title
- Bounces the project

This is the bare bones of the script, I will make some additions to it once it's working.

So far, everything in the script works apart from the Shift-click. I tried cliclick, I tried Apple Script modifiers, and somehow I can't get Shift modifier to work.

I am attaching the Code itself in the next separate post as the forum somehow wouldn't allow it in this post.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, and I will surely share my end result application here once it's working.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-19-2019, 07:09 PM

I am working on Auto-Bounce program for Pro Tools. Essentially I aim to write a script which:
- Bounces the project

This is the bare bones of the script, I will make some additions to it once it's working.

So far, everything in the script works apart from the Shift-click. I tried cliclick, I tried Apple Script modifiers and somehow I can't get Shift modifier to work.

Here is the part of the code where Shift modifier doesn't work:

Code:
--selection of markers from Start to End script

tell process "Pro Tools"

set asWindow to (1st window whose name contains "Memory Locations")
		try
			tell asWindow
				do shell script "usr/local/bin/cliclick kd:shift"

repeat with aRow in row of table "Memory Locations"
					if name of static text of UI element 2 of aRow starts with "Start" then click static text "Start" of UI element 2 of aRow
				end repeat

delay shortDelay

if name of static text of UI element 2 of aRow starts with "End" then click static text "End" of UI element 2 of aRow
				end repeat	

end tell
			delay shortDelay

do shell script "usr/local/bin/cliclick ku:shift"

end try
	end tell
end tell
Please note that for some reason the forum itself wouldn't let me post the correct command for cliclick, there is a / symbol before usr in my original code.

Last edited by echoesoflife; 09-19-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Problems with posting on the forum
Old 09-19-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesoflife View Post

- Bounces the project

So far, everything in the script works apart from the Shift-click. I tried cliclick, I tried Apple Script modifiers and somehow I can't get Shift modifier to work.

Here is the part of the code where Shift modifier doesn't work:

Code:
--selection of markers from Start to End script

tell process "Pro Tools"

set asWindow to (1st window whose name contains "Memory Locations")
try
tell asWindow
do shell script "usr/local/bin/cliclick kd:shift"

if name of static text of UI element 2 of aRow starts with "Start" then click static text "Start" of UI element 2 of aRow
end repeat

delay shortDelay

if name of static text of UI element 2 of aRow starts with "End" then click static text "End" of UI element 2 of aRow
end repeat

end tell
delay shortDelay

do shell script "usr/local/bin/cliclick ku:shift"

end try
end tell
end tell
Please note that for some reason the forum itself wouldn't let me post the correct command for cliclick, there is a / symbol before usr in my original code.
Maybe you can avoid this by using a memory locations with a selection which always has the number 999. So you can locate to it by hitting ,999, on the keypad (inside your script).