Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 08-19-2011, 10:43 AM

Default Can't control RME TotalMix FX on Lion

8 days after buying a new iMac I am still not able to control RME TotalMix with my Avid Artist Mix and MC Control. Even with a clean reinstall of Lion with EuCon 2.5.7 and TotalMix 0.942 there's no sign of interaction between the two

The fine details of my last experiment was this:
+ Install Lion on a clean partition
+ Install the Fireface usb driver for the RME Fireface UFX, which includes TotalMix FX - version 0.942
--- reboot
+ Install Eucon 2.5.7
--- reboot
+ Drag TotalMix.app into Euphonix System Preferences Pane
--- reboot
+ Open and configure TotalMix
Select Euphonix midi port (#1 for input, #1 for output)
Selected enable MIDI control and protocol support
Tested for Eucon/TotalMix interaction - FAIL
--- reboot
Tested for Eucon/TotalMix interaction - FAIL

Note - I did not change anything else on the system - not trackpad settings nor wallpaper nor anything else except what I've described above.

I had tried EuCon 2.6.0 earlier, but I understand that Mackie Control is broken in that build.

Over on the RME forum, an RME rep said this several weeks ago: "You should contact Euphonix and ask for a version that recognizes TM FX. They know about this already." ( link: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=58044 ). Is there another Eucon build aside from 2.5.7 or 2.6.0 somewhere that fixes this?

I also tried installing OS X 10.6.8 on the iMac but the installation actually crashes. I'm reluctant to pursue that avenue further given the amount of time I'd spend setting things up when both RME and Avid state that new drivers are coming very soon for each product.

So.... is there anything else I can try?

Any help at all is appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-20-2011, 10:32 AM

Default Re: No Mackie Control at all from Eucon on OS X Lion

Well, it turns out that on Lion, I can't get ANY Mackie Control data out of Eucon (Mix and Control) at all. On a clean partition, I tested each of Euco 2.5.6, 2.5.7 and 2.6.0 against Cubase 6.0.3, Reaper 4.0.1 and also with Midi Monitor. Custom EuCon adapted apps like Logic and Cubase are the only ones that receive any data.

A couple of weeks ago JC Haydon mentioned that there were no known issues on Lion. Is anyone out there running their Mix or Control on Lion with a Mackie Control setup? What am I missing?

I'd love to help beta test EuCon 2.6.1 if possible. I'm a veteran software developer, FWIW.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited by DaveDaveDave; 08-22-2011 at 05:22 AM. Reason: changed title to better reflect problem...
Old 10-26-2011, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Can't control RME TotalMix FX on Lion

Hi Dave,

I'm having the exact same problem here. Tried everything and no luck.

Everything was working just fine(and still does, by the way) with Snow Leopard, but it's hard to tell if is a problem with Lion and euphonix driver or with RME Totalmix itself.

Hope Apple, Avid and RME can work it out together.

see ya
Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Can't control RME TotalMix FX on Lion

I haven't solved it yet, so I'm using another control surface just for TotalMix. the new 2.6.2 is working better on Lion than the previous version though - my assignments are actually saved across reboots now.