Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-12-2003, 12:00 PM

Default Newbie question on editing automation data

OK, so I just did my first mini project with ProTools yesterday (I did say 'mini' , and one thing I could not figure out was how to edit automation data numerically, instead of with the mouse. I had a volume change on a track and went to edit it in the edit window and, while I can select points, add points, etc., I could not figure out how to change the value of that data point. I had the view on "extreme", and one screenpixel's worth of movement resulted in a difference of .5db. I realize that .1-.4db is not terribly noticeable, but I feel like I should be able to just enter in the value if I know what it is and not have to play the mouse game. There's a lot of stuff like this in protools (having to play the mouse game), but most of the time it seems to allow you to just type the value in where appropriate. Is there an automation view I'm missing that just has the values in it?

I guess what would be ideal is to be able to select a region and say "make this region this volume".

Again, I'm obviously a total newb, but I DID RTFM before posting...

Dave
002R/PTLE 7.3.1
Old 11-12-2003, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Newbie question on editing automation data

I don't know of any way to do what you are trying to do, and have never had the need to enter in the volume numerically. I really don't see what the benefit would be, but for now I hope you can make it by selecting points and going by what sounds right. Hope you're enjoying PT....
Old 11-12-2003, 08:05 PM

I guess it just seems lame that the program prevents me from entering the data I want to enter. I mean, click on a automation point, say it's at .6db. I move my mouse the smallest amount possible (resulting in one screen pixel of movement) and now the value is at 1.1db. What the hell? I mean, why should I have to futz with moving virtual sliders (or moving sliders at all) when I know the exact values? I guess I'm used to Cakewalk where you can just enter in the values if you don't want to use the sliders. It seems silly. I mean, when I'm recording automation, I overshoot almost everytime and then have to go in and manually adjust the automation track, when if I could just simply enter the values, the whole thing would be a lot quicker. Why should I have to practice using a control to communciate an exact value to the computer? Furthermore, why is volume (probably the MOST important control in the entire program) one of the only things that CAN'T be set numerically? I can set the reverb decay, the chorus depth and the pre-roll all numerically, why not fscking volume???

Which leads me to conclude that I'm just missing something and that you CAN do it (if so how???)

I don't know. Most of my recording experience has been in the digital world, and mixers, sliders, knobs and such just seem to be an anachronistic annoyance that should never have been replciated in the digital world. I don't see adjusting the volume during a track to be "automation of a mixer". There's no mixer! I see it as "setting the volume of a region". Maybe I just need to get my head around it, but it just seems cheesy.
002R/PTLE 7.3.1
Old 11-12-2003, 11:01 PM

Hold down the command key when your making your automation adjustments. This will give you both the delta values and the precise numeric values you are looking for.

dk
Old 11-12-2003, 11:20 PM

I've tried you situation and have no typing answer but if you want a specific db hold down apple while moving your point with the hand tool and you move in .1 db increments