Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-18-2017, 03:11 AM

Default Anyone using PT 12 with a RAID config on Windows?

Hello everyone,
I'm having trouble with a newly set-up Win7 machine based around a Xeon E7-1225 and an Intel C600 based PCI-e RAID 5 media drive set (with S-ATA drives).

Pro Tools works fine writing to the internal boot and media hard drive, but it doesn't like to write to the RAID. Transfer rate is very low then and eventually Pro Tools stops and complains about the slow write speed.

When I check the transfer speeds with other software, the RAID is rather quick.
Does anybody use a similar config with Pro Tools 12?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATTO Benchmark.jpg (51.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-18-2017, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Anyone using PT 12 with a RAID config on Windows?

I use Pro tools on a RAID 0.

If you are using RAID 5, then your write speeds WILL BE HORRIBLE. I won't post paragraphs, but essentially raid 5 is Raid 0+parity. There is a write penalty for having parity which can only be bypassed if you enable "write back cache" mode. If you have this enabled, you need to have a battery backup either on the raid controller itself or your computer because the cache doesn't get committed until AFTER the write completes itself. If there is a power loss during the writing of information and you don't have a battery, then YOU WILL LOSE DATA AND/OR EXPERIENCE DATA CORRUPTION.

All in all, Raid 5 is a **** solution for anything. It was pretty popular in the late 90's and early 2000's because hard drives were expensive at the time.

RAID 10 IS THE BEST SOLUTION on raid, as you have a mirror and stripe working together.

RAID 0 should be used for PCIE M.2 (which is what I have on mine). The speeds are astronomical. M.2 RAID doesn't support RAID 10 (you'd need 4 drives).

Summary: Raid 5 is Sh*t. Don't use it now or ever.
To avoid data loss in any RAID, make sure WRITE THROUGH is enabled. Write through commits cache writes DURING THE WRITES.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:04 AM

As the poster above, what type of Raid you are using is the important variable. I also recommend at this point only using SSD's for Raid systems. Even though some Raid versions can greatly drag your write speeds down, they will still be faster than an HHD running "non" Raid.

I have also had luck using Windows storage spaces to create Raid Volumes.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 01-18-2017, 11:33 PM

Thanks a lot for the detailed info!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:35 AM

I have one system with an Intel controlled RAID-10. Spinning drives, works great. Still on W7 however.