Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2013, 03:04 PM

Default Screen question

Hello All,
Recently I bought a new screen for my studio and kept my old screen so I could have 2.

Before I had the new screen, for the old screen, I used a VGA to Thunderbolt adapter and went in my Mac Pro. Works perfectly.

NOW, I have the 2 screens. So I hooked up the new screen from the OTHER Thunderbolt port in my Mac Pro to the HDMI port of the screen. Only the new screen works.....didn't touch how I had the old screen hooked up but it just stopped working. So I wonder....can I not use both Thunderbolt ports at the same time? Can't imagine.

Thanks for any help.
Karen Kane
Old 10-01-2013, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Screen question

And now, Pro Tools 10 is giving me a message that it can not communicate with HDMI. Screen is flashing and I had to shut down. Any thoughts?
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM

I have no idea what computer you're using
No shipping Mac Pro has Thunderbolt

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-01-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixmama View Post
Hello All,
Recently I bought a new screen for my studio and kept my old screen so I could have 2.

Before I had the new screen, for the old screen, I used a VGA to Thunderbolt adapter and went in my Mac Pro. Works perfectly.

NOW, I have the 2 screens. So I hooked up the new screen from the OTHER Thunderbolt port in my Mac Pro to the HDMI port of the screen. Only the new screen works.....didn't touch how I had the old screen hooked up but it just stopped working. So I wonder....can I not use both Thunderbolt ports at the same time? Can't imagine.

Thanks for any help.
Karen Kane
The only Macs that have 2 Thunderbolt ports are the 27" iMacs, and certainly not the G5 in your profile. Also Thunderbolt is not available as an add-on card. Several MacBook Pros have Thunderbolt ports but only a single one. What computer are you REALLY working on?

QAPLA!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:41 PM

I am working on a Mac Pro purchased in March 2013. It has TWO thunderbolt ports and a DVI port.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:13 PM

Those are not Thunderbolt ports they are mini DisplayPort ports on the video card

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-01-2013, 05:20 PM

thank you. That would explain a lot. My question still stands though, can I use both at once for 2 screens?
Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Those are not Thunderbolt ports they are mini DisplayPort ports on the video card
And would you know anything about why I got that message from PT10 about not communicating with HDMI?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixmama View Post
And would you know anything about why I got that message from PT10 about not communicating with HDMI?
How do you have the displays set up - mirrored or extended desktop? It's been a while since I dealt with multiple screens on one Mac but take a look in the 'Displays' section of system preferences. That might make a difference. See this page for info on display port to HDMI adapters: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241?viewlocale=en_US

QAPLA!
Old 10-01-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
How do you have the displays set up - mirrored or extended desktop? It's been a while since I dealt with multiple screens on one Mac but take a look in the 'Displays' section of system preferences. That might make a difference. See this page for info on display port to HDMI adapters: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241?viewlocale=en_US

Displays not mirrored. Have gone to the Displays section of system preferences countless times and can not get any help from there. Thanks for the link, when I'm not SO EXHAUSTED, I will read through that.