Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-13-2010, 08:05 AM

Default Questions about midi input auditioning

Im newer to pro tools and have been messin around with it for a short while now. What Im basically doing as of right now is using my MPC 3000 as the heart of my setup during the beat construction phase using Pro Tools as a mixer if you will. Playing my midi keyboard thru my mpc recording the signal as it comes into the MPC and then using the MPC to trigger things either inside or outside of pro tools. I have midi A from my MPC triggering my SE1 synth, midi B triggering my Emax sampling keyboard, then midi C into the Midi in on my Digi 002 Rack. Aux faders for my MPC, Emax, and SE1 audio.

Say I record a sequence on midi track 1C on my MPC sending it into my Digi 002, I have a midi track recieving the midi signal on Pro Tools via MPC channel 1. What if I want to send a different sequence on channel 2? Then I have to create a new midi track to recieve soley that signal and route it to whatever instrument I create for it right? Well, I can only arm one midi track at a time to record incoming signals correct? It doenst seem like I can do multiple midi tracks at one time and hear them as Im creating. Is there a way to have the Digi recieve multiple midi sequences from my MPC on different midi channels and audition them all at the same time? Do you understand what Im getting at here?
Old 02-13-2010, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Questions about midi input auditioning

I don't know the MPC but I often record six differnt midi tracks to six different channels at once.
If you monitor from pro tools during recording make sure plugins you are triggering have the same delay.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:31 PM

How do you do that with the delay biz?
Old 02-13-2010, 01:33 PM

Oh and just to clarify, Im sure if I hit record and play I could hear all the midi playing. I want to be able to hear multiple midi inputs without pressing record and play on the shuttle controls. Im not trying to record a take, Im just trying to audition the instruments all at once.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:47 PM

Never mind. Im stupid. I figured it out. I couldnt figure out how to have multiple tracks armed for record at the same time..... I just figured it out. Have to hold down shift...... Thanks for not yelling at me for wasting your time.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:08 PM

Poet, just out of curiousity, are you daisy chaining multiple devices using MIDI thru or strictly using your MPC??

I have a related but not identical issue as you do and thought I would mildly hijack for a sec
Old 02-16-2010, 01:47 PM

Im using my MPC to do everything in terms of the sequencing. Ultimately, once finished with a beat, I will use Pro Tools to sync my MPC for taking multiple passes and whatnot but other than that, I havent dabbled with recording midi into pro tools. Maybe once I have a beat tracked out I might try that with additional instruments but cant figure out how to overdub record midi over an existing midi track without recording over and loosing whats already there. It doesnt seem as user friendly in that regard. Im basically using my MPC to do all midi triggering, even if its an instrument in pro tools. Its the best man, you cant get the swing right without using one of these bitches.